Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bike Maintenance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 267

Bike Maintenance

Aug 31, 2020, 10:08 AM

Greenr has a garage full of cheap kids' bikes, at least 7. We buy them, use for a while, then get a bigger one. There is NOTHING more cheaply made than kids' bikes these days. I have one that they wore through a tire in 6 months. Then there is one that has a warped tire on the front and misaligned tire on the back that was bought 9 months ago. Lastly, we bought a "Mountain Bike" for one of the boys in May. He has ridden it probably 300+ miles during the pandemic and it has a broken cable in the gear system now and a mangled derailleur. I've always threatened to just buy good bikes but we didn't want to do that until they got bigger...looks like Greenr might be about to drop some coin on $1000 worth of bikes.

Does this happen to kids' Trek bikes?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's hit or miss with kids' bikes. I know the feelz though.

Aug 31, 2020, 10:12 AM

We've had mixed results. We have one cheap bike that services the 3-6 age range and it's been rock solid through three kids now. We bought oldest a "mountain bike" and it's all screwed up. It seems once you graduate to gears, better drop some coin or it's a lemon. With no gears, they seem to last better even if cheap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trek should be decent.

Aug 31, 2020, 10:14 AM

I went with nice ones for my kids just based on my hatred for cheap heavy bikes.

Daughter's cheapo Trek (probably $350 or so) did damage a front brake, but that was because she turnt the handlebars 360 degrees and stretched the cable. Not her fault.

Grabbed my son's Specialized on CL. It was probably a $1200 bike that was ridden maybe 5 times by a really small adult man. I bought it for $200 and change. That was the deal of the century.

Spend the money. Gary Fisher, Trek, Specialized, etc. Avoid anything from a department store, Walmart, Dicksportinggoods or Academy, although some of the most expensive ones at Academy and DickSGs is probabably good enough.

Keep an eye out on FB marketplace and C/L.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I always bought Specialized bikes for the kids.

Aug 31, 2020, 10:16 AM

They are way, way lighter than the Trek kids bikes, which makes a difference.

Other thing is resale. You drop $100 on a new Huffy, your value when you're done with it is whatever scrap metal is going for.

Drop $150-250 on a kids Specialized on Craigslist, and you'll probably get $150-250 for it when it comes time to sell it (assuming reasonable care).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just sold 2 30 year old Schwins for $75 each

Aug 31, 2020, 10:17 AM

tires rotten, beach ridden, etc.

A huge market right now for used bikes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a good point ^^^

Aug 31, 2020, 10:21 AM

Bad time to be buying used bikes. I've never seen the bike market, new or used, like it is right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I walked through Academy the other day and they had like one

Aug 31, 2020, 10:23 AM

bike in the store. Two full aisles of bike racks - all empty.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually son's last kid bike was a Scott Scale 24

Aug 31, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to I always bought Specialized bikes for the kids. ]

Sweet little bike and I sold it for what I paid for it.

Huffy or G T F O***

Aug 31, 2020, 10:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Honestly, you may want to consider making an investment that

Aug 31, 2020, 10:24 AM

pays dividends down the road. Buy the kid a solid used Harley Sportster, and get him in with a group of like-minded motorcycle enthusiasts that do 'route sales'. The boy should soon be independent with the money he makes, and can probably help provide some modicum of protective services...what with all your gang-related shootings in your neighborhood and whatnot.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hadn't thought about that. THe math skills he develops will

Aug 31, 2020, 10:26 AM

certainly pay dividends in the end.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's brilliant, really. You won't have to worry about

Aug 31, 2020, 10:29 AM

career uncertainty, changing majors, or even college really. With the number of face and neck tats he'll have by 15, his career choices will be really narrowed and he'll be able to focus on very specific talent development.

Math skills, sales skills, collections skills...

Aug 31, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Hadn't thought about that. THe math skills he develops will ]

Plus learning basic pharmacology and some biology from experimenting with human endurance for pain. Tell me with a straight face that you're going to get THAT much of a well-rounded education from York School District 1???

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bike Maintenance

Aug 31, 2020, 11:06 AM

Both my kids' bikes are Trek. Specialized are good too, but they are sourced out. Trek makes their own kids bikes and it shows. My son destroys his or it should be destroyed and never a problem. Worth the $ in my opinion

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kid has a Novara and a Trek

Aug 31, 2020, 11:19 AM

3rd owner on the Novara, and 2nd owner (at least) of the Trek. Both live outside full-time, since he's on them pretty much every day and we have no garage. They are more expensive to have repaired if you need something more than a quick brake adjustment or new tube, but otherwise, are built like tanks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmm, I just saw a Novara online for like $50***

Aug 31, 2020, 11:43 AM

Re: Bike Maintenance

Aug 31, 2020, 1:06 PM

I bought my son a trek about 20 years ago when he was 6 or 7. Great bike.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 267
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic