Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big 10 will no longer play FCS teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,504

Big 10 will no longer play FCS teams

Aug 31, 2016, 7:49 AM

I do not recall hearing that before. Interesting take:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2016/08/30/big-ten-no-more-fcs-foes-couch-column/89600006/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big 10 will no longer play FCS teams

Aug 31, 2016, 8:00 AM

Notice they said like Furman not App St, even though not FCS now! Did it say they will only schedule other Big 10 teams that they have a chance of beating?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is bad for collegiate athletics..***

Aug 31, 2016, 8:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

why?***

Aug 31, 2016, 8:28 AM

Re: why?***

Aug 31, 2016, 9:27 AM

Because you are about to see a lot of FCS schools drop sports.

Many of those schools rely on the pay checks from P5 programs to fund their smaller sports.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

So?***

Aug 31, 2016, 9:42 AM

Re: So?***

Aug 31, 2016, 9:45 AM

So maybe I care about the smaller schools in the state and would rather give them a big pay check than give one to Ball State.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Aug 31, 2016, 8:04 AM

I have a friend who plays for Furman. Starting safety #6 Thomas Brown from nearby Seneca. Excited to see him play vs The Green.

I do remember hearing about the Big 10 not playing FCS teams anymore. I hope no other power 5 school decides to do that bc it will mean less money for the smaller schools.

This is going to be really bad for the BIG too. They lost

Aug 31, 2016, 8:13 AM

a record number of games in recent years to mid major football schools. The Big 10 is garbage. since they know they are garbage they are trying to increase SOS but if you lose the game it doesn't do you any good.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

My common sense response to Big10 folks

Aug 31, 2016, 8:23 AM

I've gave this response to many Big 10 fans when they bring up the non-FCS scheduling.

What's the difference in Clemson beating Furman 48-10 as opposed to a Michigan beating Akron 42-17? The only difference is an instate FCS school is getting a boost to their athletic department. As a fan I wouldn't get anymore excited for Ball State, Miami OH, etc. coming to town instead of Furman, Coastal, Wofford etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

FCS schools don't count in your strength of schedule

Aug 31, 2016, 8:44 AM

but it does count in our opponents win loss record. So for example last year it was as if UNC didn't play 2 games. but when counting UNC's win loss record in our SOS those wins did count.

You are correct in your assessment with common sense, but the BIG is trying to manipulate the numbers. Unfortunately the BIG isn't good enough to beat mid majors 100% of the time. I think its going to back fire because now the top teams are going to have conference opponents with more loses on their record.

We'll see I guess.

Message was edited by: MSTiger02®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

To avoid the embarrassment of losing to App St?

Aug 31, 2016, 9:45 AM

but the reality is, the Big 10 doesn't many FCS schools in their footprint. Youngstown St and Dayton are the primary ones. They can "support the smaller state school" by beating up on bad mid-majors. Its a symbolic gesture only.

Aug 31, 2016, 11:11 AM

I would like to see all FBS vs FCS games banned from the regular season. To actually count those games as wins is a joke. A FBS mid-major at least has the same number of scholarships. FCS schools have 20 less ships, a tiny fraction of the financial resources, and far less talent.

What I would like to see is allowing FBS and FCS schools to have a game as a replacement for the current Spring Game scrimmages. Then allow one Fall scrimmage. Schools could charge $10 admission, make money off of concessions, parking, ect. Split that money between the two schools.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,504
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic