Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Biased Referees
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,293

Biased Referees

Dec 9, 2019, 3:49 PM

Heard Danny tell a story years ago about the Gator Bowl incident. It was after Bauman had been slugged by Woody, and there was a penalty on the field that lit Danny up. He charged the ref, got right in his face and started chewing him out. The ref weathered the storm then eased forward into Danny's face. He said, "Look here son, I want you to understand one thing. If you just settle down, you WILL win this game? Understand? You WILL win this game.

Who says there's not subjectivity, karma, heck maybe even some justice, in sports games? :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biased Referees

Dec 9, 2019, 4:02 PM

Wonder if the ref was just sick and tired of Woody Hayes screaming and yelling all game long?

Dec 9, 2019, 4:30 PM

Danny threaten to take the Tigers to the locker room after the punch. However; the Tigers had the lead, the ball, and a first down. The Ref told him to stay calm and not take his team to the locker room. The clock hit zero, the Tigers won, and the Woody got canned the next morning.

Dec 9, 2019, 5:04 PM

That referee was Butch Lambert, and Danny had known Butch for many years going back to his playing days at Bama. Jerry Clower did one of his funnies about Butch refereeing a Texas Tech game and signaling TD when the runner was tackled before crossing the goal.

I recently watched a video with Danny telling about the Gator Bowl incident. As Danny told it, he was ranting at Butch trying to get more penalty yardage, and Butch asked him if he wanted some good advice. When Danny responded that he did, Butch told him "You are going to win this game unless you do something stupid." Less than two minutes were left on the clock, and Clemson had the ball deep in OSU territory, first and 10.

Danny said that he answered, "Yes sir, Mr. Lambert. Proceed with your business." With that, he ran away from Butch.

Danny said that it was 4 AM the next morning before he learned that Woody Hayes had punched Charlie Bauman.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,293
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic