Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Swinney's Weekly Press Conference Highlights
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Sep 29, 2009, 11:48 AM

Notes and audio from Clemson coaches and players from head coach Dabo Swinney's weekly press conference. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap

Sep 29, 2009, 12:07 PM

Lets not start that Dabo.

And every other coach that loses a close game***

Sep 29, 2009, 12:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap

Sep 29, 2009, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

I don't have a problem with the one play away when we truly were one play away. He is trying to get his players to realize that winners make big plays, and last week we really just needed one big play down the stretch and we couldn't make it. Tommy would say one play away when we got drilled by 21 points.

Sep 29, 2009, 1:34 PM

So you don't think we were one play away from the ACCCG 2 years ago in the Boston College game? Aaron makes the catch, we probably win the game and division. Or if we don't get beat on Matt Ryan's long ball we probably win. True we got smoked by Virginia Tech, but Tommy was saying we were one play away from the ACC Championship Game. Not an at large BCS bid or National Championship.

^^^don't feed the trolls***

Sep 29, 2009, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Sep 29, 2009, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

Enuf already. Tired and sick of comparing Dabo to TB few games in. "One play away" Tommy was after 7,8,9 seasons of failure to deliver. Dabo is in first full year. TB never took responsibility for needing to coach better. This staff has bent over backwards every time to take responsibility to coach better. Added to all this, TB's teams lost when they SHOULD HAVE WON. We've seen no sign of this. Like article sez, played excellent teams, came up short as expected, time to move on and improve. I'd rather be a play away than four or five touchdowns away, or lose at home to a weaker team (see: FSU).

We were favored over TCU by 2.5 points

Sep 29, 2009, 12:57 PM

so we lost a game we should have won... I agree with what you said, just being technical.

Re: We were favored over TCU by 2.5 points

Sep 29, 2009, 2:33 PM

vegas makes the lines. we got points for home field advantage...thats all

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AMEN, brother! Dabo doesn't whine

Sep 29, 2009, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

about a loss. TB got to be consistent in his reasons for a loss - especially numerous times CU lost games they should have won. Dabo is right to say one or two plays cost the tigers but takes licks for losing.

Now, if the Tigers lose to Maryland (heaven forbid)I'll count crow as a health food!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well he has a point... We were only a few plays away.***

Sep 29, 2009, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Well he has a point... We were only a few plays away.***

Sep 29, 2009, 1:24 PM

I watched his conference earlier and coach looks like he's starting to feel the pressure to win now.

did you listen too?

Sep 29, 2009, 10:09 PM

he said "i hate to lose, even if its a pickup basketball game." obviously he feels pressure...75% of it coming from himself

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2009, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

Quote:

"We took eight plays and looked at them as a football team. If we made 3 of them we win the game. Just trying to make sure the guys know when we have opportunity to win we have to make the play.”

That doesn't sound like whining or excuse making to me. It sounds like a coach teaching his players that you have to focus on every play and that you HAVE to come through during crunch time.

Like it or not that is usually the difference between winning or losing big games.

Sep 30, 2009, 11:32 PM

You guys who are on Dabo this early in his career are being just plain idiotic. I agree he should have hired a seasoned OC, but to compare him to Tommy and say he doesn't take responsibility is not justifiable. We get a man finally with the attitude 'Losing is not an option' and I for one can forgive a few mistakes. Our OL not being able to give us 1 inch for a first down is ridiculous, I don't care if TCU had 20 men in the box. How dare Dabo take them in and 'teach' them by showing them why they couldn't get 1 inch. I say get behind this man. I think he's the real deal. And by the way, he hasn't made his last mistake. And yes, I realize it was more than 1 inch, the exaggeration is intended.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better play calling would have yielded a higher success rate

Sep 30, 2009, 2:00 AM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

Sure, teach the players how to execute better. But instead of the coaches just talking about a few potential game-changing plays that the players could have executed better, I'd like to hear them talk about the dozen or two plays that they could have play-called better or how they could have game-planned better to expose some mismatches. If Napier had done a better job this year, the players would have executed a higher percentage of plays, and we might well be 4-0, and Top 10, with recruits flying off the fence to make us better for years to come. But we've got a novice OC who's doing on-the-job training.

You can't call a QB sneak with Kyle Parker behind our O-line on 4th-and-1 against a stout TCU run defense with 11 in the box and then whine about how if only the players had executed better. It's pathetic. Poor coaching cost us 3-7 points in that one instance alone, which probably cost Clemson the game. I want to hear the coaches man-up and take some responsibilty for their game-losing mistakes, not just say that they need to teach the players how to execute better as if it's all on the players.

Top tier coordinators keep their opponents off-balance and create mismatches that give their players a higher probability of making more plays.

Yeah, maybe Aaron Kelly could have caught that difficult, over-the-shoulder, long bomb that MIGHT have beaten BC and got us to the ACCCG a few years ago. But Clemson had THREE conference losses that year and a couple hundred other plays that could have gotten us there too.

Blaming a loss or a title on one or two plays that the players could have made is a fool's game for losers. We had ten years of that under Bowden. I don't want to hear another day of it from Swinney.

Sep 30, 2009, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

This sounds NOTHING at all like TB, other than the letters in the words. His point is that there can be no let down on any play. Every play has the potential of being the one that makes or breaks a team, and everybody, coaches, players, everybody, needs to be 100% every play. He was so right about the 1 play away. The tipped pass, if not luckily caught, we win. If we make one more catch we may have kept a drive alive that gave us the lead. If we cover the wide out on the fake punt at GT, or if we don't bloop a punt to their receiver on our botched attempt, or if we don't get the BS hold call, we win that game. Any one of those plays may have cost us the game. I want a coach who impresses upon his teams that you have to give it all EVERY play of EVERY game. I don't think Dabo will quit until he has a team or coaches who feel that way. He will not be satisfied with being one play away. Sorry for the rant, but give him a little credit for doing what is right, and give him a little time to change a mind set that has been there for 10 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen****

Sep 30, 2009, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Sounds like Tommy Bowden and his 1 play away crap ]

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic