Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4 team playoff should be conf. Champs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

4 team playoff should be conf. Champs

May 29, 2012, 7:31 PM

that would make the whole season a playoff. Screw the sec. I would take all 5 conf champs from ACC,SEC,PAC10,Big10,Big12 and let the top 4 ranked teams play!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4 team playoff should be conf. Champs

May 29, 2012, 7:33 PM

That would be horrible. A 9-3 team doesn't need to be in the playoff. That's ridiculous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so? each team has a goal: win your conference

May 29, 2012, 7:48 PM

if you don't? too bad. as long as you win, you're in.

So I guess we would then be back to ... "rankings"...

May 29, 2012, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: 4 team playoff should be conf. Champs ]

Coaches Poll (no bias there!)
ESPN Experts
A computer algorithm

Sounds great

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I guess we would then be back to ... "rankings"...

May 29, 2012, 9:20 PM

Better than having a 9-3 team in it. Atleast the bias produces 1 and 2 loss teams in the top 4 year in and year out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A 9-3 SEC is BETTER than a 12-0 from anywhere else.

May 30, 2012, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: 4 team playoff should be conf. Champs ]

Just ask them.

No.

May 29, 2012, 7:37 PM

the playoff should absolutely NOT be conf champs only. that makes non-conference play totally irrelevant.

Agree, non-conf play has to be kept relevant

May 29, 2012, 8:43 PM

That's the appeal of college football. There needs to be rules in place to allow teams in the playoffs if they meet certain standards, but there also needs to be a committee vote factor for at large teams because it gives the regular season more appeal.

Better idea

May 29, 2012, 7:43 PM

Top 3 conference champs if in the top 6.

If 3 are, take the best remaining team.

If 2 are take 2 best remaining teams.

May 29, 2012, 7:46 PM

You left out the Big East. TD WV

May 29, 2012, 7:47 PM

4 team playoff with conference champions is the proposal

May 29, 2012, 7:47 PM

is that per chuck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That seems unfair. I could see a Conf Champ getting in IF

May 11, 2022, 10:15 AM

you were ranked in the Top 5 or 6. That way you only screw over 1 or 2 teams and reward the conference champion.

SEC,PAC10,Big10 & Big12 won't go along with that.

May 29, 2012, 8:21 PM

Each of these conferences think they may have more than one team ranked in the top four of the polls.

When the SEC set up the first conference championship game many conference members feared the game exposed their best team to a tough opponent and could knock the conference's best team and the conference out of a shot at the NC game. They were well reminded of that last year when Bama and LSU were paired for the MNCG.

Under your scenario one of the SEC teams would not have even been in the playoff.

Though I agree with you that a one team per conference should be included the SEC will never sigh off on a deal like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How 'Bout an 8 Team Payoff...5 Conf winners + 3 wild cards?

May 29, 2012, 8:24 PM

If the 3 wild cards were for example, to come from the SEC, so be it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's How I Would Want It***

May 29, 2012, 10:55 PM

the 8-team playoff is,imo,the only way to go.

May 30, 2012, 4:57 AM [ in reply to How 'Bout an 8 Team Payoff...5 Conf winners + 3 wild cards? ]

it rewards conf.champs, but at the same time allows for the 3 most deserving teams outside of the conf.champs.to get in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 is the perfect number....

May 30, 2012, 11:24 AM [ in reply to How 'Bout an 8 Team Payoff...5 Conf winners + 3 wild cards? ]

Use the historical bowls as the hosts too.... everyone satisfied....

Naw - SEC's EAST 1 vs WEST 2 and SEC's WEST 1 vs EAST 2

May 29, 2012, 10:37 PM

Just listen to the SEC coaches!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Naw - SEC's EAST 1 vs WEST 2 and SEC's WEST 1 vs EAST 2

May 30, 2012, 4:58 AM

the east hasn't had a deserving team for the last 3-4 years,or so.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: Naw - SEC's EAST 1 vs WEST 2 and SEC's WEST 1 vs EAST 2

May 30, 2012, 6:48 AM

Florida won it 4 years ago.

May 30, 2012, 7:35 AM

I say take the top eight the teams in the rankings. Conference champions sounds nice, but not all things are equal. Take last year for instance. Even though Clemson was the ACC champion, that team had no business being in a playoff for the NC if you are really being serious about having the best eight teams in the field. Ditto the Big East, and maybe the Pac 12.

May 30, 2012, 10:03 AM

I'd prefer the top four, but I would be ok with a 3+1 type deal. Champs are fine, but the number 2 team should never get left out no matter who it is.

Instead of 1, 3, 6, 9 you get 1, 2, 3, 6 which is significantly better.

No, should be best 4 teams. The only people who want

May 30, 2012, 3:55 PM

conf. champs are looking out for their inferior conference. That is selfish and cheap.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, should be best 4 teams. The only people who want

May 30, 2012, 4:07 PM

What I don't like about that logic is that you would have had Alabama and LSU still getting a rematch, which to me was the biggest problem with the post-season last year. So Alabama lost to LSU at home but beat them on a neutral site...so they are the best team in the country? That, along with the fact that they couldn't even win their DIVISION of the conference, makes me wonder about not limiting it to just conference champions.

Ideally you'd get 8 teams with automatic qualifiers for conference champions, but that isn't happening soon. In a 4 team scenario, if you just take the best teams you run the risk of leaving out a really good team. Let's say that last year LSU lost a regular season game against...Arkansas. And that Arkansas only had one loss all season long. You'd have 3 one loss teams, from the same division, who would have to be decided by an insane tie-breaker. Do all 3 make the playoff? Only 2?

It's a bit of a stretch of a scenario, but those types of things make me really put value on winning your conference. I'd say that if a conference champion of one of the Big 4 is ranked in the Top 8 or 10, they are automatically in. Any conference champ outside of that is left out, and the next highest ranked team is in. This makes each conference championship game all that more important, as in most cases the champion will go to the playoffs - meaning that in actuality, you'd have an 8 team playoff in place.

I agree with the BCS top 4 last year. Alabama and LSU

May 30, 2012, 10:26 PM

were the best two teams in the country. There should not be any arbitrary rules that keep the best two teams from playing. With the new system, Stanford and Oklahoma State would have had their shot to prove everyone wrong. That's why a plus one is perfect. The best two teams get in.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with the BCS top 4 last year. Alabama and LSU

May 31, 2012, 11:08 AM

But the best two teams played, and the road team won. How is that not definitive of who the better team is?

There has to be a ranking threshold. Take the top 4 if they

May 30, 2012, 5:31 PM

finish in the top 6 or 7.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2012, 5:45 PM

Agreed. I don't want to see a team in the top 4 that can't win their own conference. Plus I don't want to see any rematches. Makes for very bad TV.

May 30, 2012, 5:54 PM

> that would make the whole season a playoff. Screw
> the sec. I would take all 5 conf champs from
> ACC,SEC,PAC10,Big10,Big12 and let the top 4 ranked
> teams play!

Why would you want potentially a 8 win team in the final four? The OOC schedules mean nothing at that point. They are just exhibition games.

If you get to a 16 team playoff you could go with conference champions...but putting Clemson for example in the final 4 last year, while leaving LSU or Alabama out would be silly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic