Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Outsiders view of Columbia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Outsiders view of Columbia

Sep 26, 2017, 9:04 AM

We live in VA ... my in-laws have been driving back and forth from VA to FL a lot the past few weeks related to a new job for my brother in law. Columbia is ~ 1/2 way point, so they've stopped a few times.

Talking to them Sunday about traveling, they went on and on about what a hellhole Columbia was, that they didn't feel safe stopping there, etc. etc. etc.

Personally I've never been in Columbia (just pass through on the interstate) but from their stories, it sounds like a 3rd world country where anarchy rules the day.

Accurate ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Outsiders view of Columbia

Sep 26, 2017, 9:07 AM

You have to go out of your way to get to Columbia going from Fl to Va. Why would they go there?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better check your map...

Sep 26, 2017, 9:11 AM

I-77 runs from Cootlumbia to Western Virginia.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Western Virginia ... I-77 to I-26 to I-95***

Sep 26, 2017, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Outsiders view of Columbia ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not everyone lives on the coast my friend***

Sep 26, 2017, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Outsiders view of Columbia ]

Sep 26, 2017, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Outsiders view of Columbia ]

Florida goes under Georgia and under Alabama. Not just along the Atlantic Ocean.

Sep 26, 2017, 9:17 AM

I had to be in Columbia with a family member in the hospital recently. A long afternoon in the transitional unit between ER and admission meant hearing the PA announcing incoming ER cases all day long. "Blunt Force Trauma" was repeated over and over again.

I asked a nurse in the ER, is this unusual? She said no. Columbia is a mess and every day the ER is filled with people who have been trying to kill each other.

blunt force trauma, SC football players aren't suspects

Sep 26, 2017, 10:16 AM

they don't hit anybody.

it's just a vanilla, non-destination, mid-sized city

Sep 26, 2017, 9:29 AM

almost zero tourist attractions, poorly planned urban sprawl, WAY too much government (part of their problem is half the inner city is non-taxed gov't owned property), and a dilapidated infrastructure. A big old concrete solar collector.

State Capital, State University, State Politics.

Has any person ever spent their vacation there (outside of visiting family)? No reason to do anything more than an overnight stopover when there are dozens of nicer destinations a couple hours in most any direction (beaches, mountains, etc).

I lived in Columbia for over 10 years so I feel I am qualified to speak on it's qualities (or lack of them).

Re: it's just a vanilla, non-destination, mid-sized city

Sep 26, 2017, 10:58 AM

We've lived here since the early 1990's. (because of wife's family ties) This about sums it up.

Sep 26, 2017, 9:39 AM

Outside of like 2 blocks downtown it is pretty crappy.

But even those 2 nicer blocks are nothing compared to charleston or greenville

They must stop near the stadium.***

Sep 26, 2017, 9:41 AM

The one exit I'll take in Columbia is.........

Sep 26, 2017, 9:48 AM

Exit 80 off I-20. Every year on the drive to the beach I'll stop and get my last cup of coffee on this exit(Dunkin Donuts).

It just so happens this exit is for Clemson Rd.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Sep 26, 2017, 10:10 AM

WEST Columbia, however, is pretty nice. We live on the Saluda River. One of America's few urban white water rivers. It is very "mountainy" in here with steep hills and huge granite boulders in my yard. I live a five minute walk to the Botanical Gardens Entry. My tennis club is only about ten minutes away out of Lexington. The Vista is about a five minute car ride from my home. Columbia is not a tourist destination. Nor would I want it to be. I like it here. I ain't moving.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2017, 10:24 AM

It's definitely where you are in towns outside of Palm Beach and Boca Raton.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

West Columbia has become a prostitution and crack head haven...

Sep 26, 2017, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Outsiders view of Columbia ]

sorry but it's true. Not trying to put down where you live

They are correct on their assessment, but

Sep 26, 2017, 10:22 AM

They have no other better option southbound between Charlotte and (outside) Savannah, which is a good 2+ hours further. Orangeburg, Walterboro, Ridgeland...and this is coming from someone who grew up in Orangeburg. Although they might try I-26 exit 145 outside Orangeburg. It could be any built up interchange along any interstate, and has most of the chain hotels and restaurants.

My brother and my wife's sister both lived in Forest Acres

Sep 26, 2017, 10:36 AM

While Columbia lacks any tourism appeal, I would live there. Riverwalk, the zoo, sesquicentennial park, farmers markets, great childrens museum, state museum... Township is one of my favorite music venues, and they have Colonial Center for bigger concerts.

I've NEVER once in all the time I've spent there felt unsafe.
Are there parts of town that aren't nice, sure.. but you could say that about every city.

I usually just chalk up the negativity and safety talk on here to people taking a rivalry too far and/or not being well travelled.

I work in a trauma center in South Sacramento.. we don't get all that blunt firce trauma. People there just go straight for lethal head and body shots.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

the upside is that there are very few transplant Ohioans

Sep 26, 2017, 10:44 AM

in Columbia like you see in SC's coastal cities.

I would live in Palm Springs, too

Sep 26, 2017, 10:46 AM [ in reply to My brother and my wife's sister both lived in Forest Acres ]

Cherry pick much?

As someone who has lived in Columbia and been a victim of crime there, you could not give me a house in Columbia outside of maybe Forest Acres

Sep 26, 2017, 10:41 AM

do yourself a favor and never go there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2017, 10:45 AM

I lived there for just under a year after graduating from Clemson and then moved to Charlotte. Best move I ever made. I still have to go back to visit family on occasion and it's a stark reminder of the difference between the two cities. One is progressive and one is regressive.

It's become an urban wasteland...

Sep 26, 2017, 10:46 AM

Not that it was ever impressive, but it has really gone down the drain over the past 15 years. Parts of it look like a ghost town. Places that used to be safe parts of town, you have to be careful stopping through or at least know how to maneuver through it. It's due to mismanagement by the city council and mayor, police corruption, and a new development in that people from rural areas are starting to move into Columbia due to lack of jobs in rural areas. The problem this causes is that crime in rural areas have increased, and with the influx of rural people some of the bad ones are coming in and bringing more crime to the city. The shooting in the vista last week was carried out by people from Newberry which is about 30 minutes away from Columbia by way of the interstate

Sep 26, 2017, 10:50 AM

Around Spring Valley and the Irmo area is ok.
But the rest is a cesspool of criminals .

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic