Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables pleased with progress of the defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables pleased with progress of the defense

Apr 16, 2012, 9:53 AM

Venables pleased with progress of the defense

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables believes he has the pieces in place to have a good defense in 2012. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tackling

Apr 16, 2012, 10:17 AM

Tackling is attitude. Tackling is position. Tackling is discipline.

Coach Venables gets it and you can see that it is being picked up by the players. I saw LBs and DBs flying to the ball Saturday and aside from a few broken tackling, most against our stellar WRs, they brought the carrier down. And even still he wants more.

I feel we will see a much more fundamentally sound D next year and that is the most important thing. As long as you have a good grip on the fundamentals then a coach can add anything he wants on top of that.

Steele was so busy trying to teach his scheme that I don't think he practiced the fundamentals well enough and it showed.

Re: Tackling

Apr 16, 2012, 10:20 AM

agree, 1000%

Re: Tackling is wrapping up

Apr 16, 2012, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Tackling ]

that looked better for the most part saturday but after last year almost anything would

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did anyone else notice they were more focused

Apr 16, 2012, 11:12 AM

on the player rather than the ball and the postion? They were more focused on making a play on the potential ball carrier rather than stripping or going for the deflection or an interception.

I've seen several players get beat by trying to make a play on the ball rather than focus on the potential recipent, and that is where missed tackles occur. Fundamentals are certainly being exemplified.

Re: Tackling is wrapping up

Apr 16, 2012, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Tackling is wrapping up ]

That is what I was going to say. From last years D, if you just trip someone up, that would be improvement. I don't think that WV ever stop scoring until Brent got here to stop the bleeding....

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's all talk until they lace 'em up this fall

Apr 16, 2012, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Tackling ]

But I do like what he's saying though. Can't wait 'til 1 Sep!

Re: It's all talk until they lace 'em up this fall

Apr 16, 2012, 12:23 PM

Agreed. We heard Steele preach fundamentals last year, and VK before him. It's good to hear... but I'll believe it when I see it (in a game). Otherwise, I am absolutely yoked for this season to start.

Re: It's all talk until they lace 'em up this fall

Apr 16, 2012, 7:34 PM

Koening was a good DC

Bet if you read posts from VK's last two years

Apr 16, 2012, 9:33 PM

You'd see that Tiger Nation was ready for him to go. He's a good DC like Steele is a good DC...everyone talks em up--and they may even turn in a few good years--but in the end, they were just mediocre.

-Tommy

Steele sucked but VK is a very good DC

Apr 16, 2012, 10:27 PM

His defenses have been good everywhere he has been, most recently at Illinois. To say VK is mediocre is to show a complete lack of knowledge

Just somebody please remind Meeks that he has arms

Apr 16, 2012, 12:16 PM

and should start using them to wrap up. Very encouraged by the overall improvement in linebacker play and Vic Beasley and Grady Jarrett are absolute beasts. It was painful to watch Hotrod get absolutely hammered every time he carried the ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

That's been a concern for Meeks for a while

Apr 16, 2012, 12:49 PM

not sure why that wasn't corrected in HS. Normally they will teach them to wrp up first and foremost.

Re: That's been a concern for Meeks for a while

Apr 16, 2012, 12:51 PM

I saw BV chew him out after one play where he went for his famous "kill shot"....two plays later he did exactly the same thing. This will come back to haunt us next year if BV doesn't get it corrected.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: That's been a concern for Meeks for a while

Apr 16, 2012, 1:19 PM

Interesting. It doesn't seem like a hard thing to grasp or a tough habit to break. Unless he is hiding an injury such as a pectoral or bruised sternum. He has been healthy during his time at Clemson, correct?

Meeks doesn't have injury problems

Apr 16, 2012, 2:11 PM

he just refuses to use his arms. It's not instinctual to him through repitition thus he won't do it until it is. He'll lose his spot in the starting lineup to Brewer at SS if he doesn't start doing it soon.

the Steele visor lives!!!***

Apr 16, 2012, 6:34 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic