Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best team Saban has faced at Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,465

Best team Saban has faced at Alabama

Dec 31, 2018, 1:59 AM

Starting to look forward to facing Clemson each year as I think this rivalry is bringing out the best in both teams.

This year's Clemson team seems different though. I don't see any holes or matchups to exploit. You guys are 85 deep like we are and it's going to take a herculean effort to beat you. I think this is the best team Saban has faced at Alabama with 2014 Ohio State and 2010 Auburn getting honorable mentions.

My feeling is that we're both very much equally matched and that if Clemson and Alabama played a five game series on a neutral field, that there would be a game five.

I think the two biggest factors that will shape the game are as follows:

- In any other year, the media would drool over this Clemson squad as they're as good as it gets. It just so happens that this is the first year in decades (if ever) that Alabama has what appears to be a real and balanced offense. Because of this, Alabama has been praised all season and at times been compared to the best CFB team of all time. The odd thing is that this Clemson team is every bit as good as we are and probably really fired up at the lack of respect from the national media. That scares me immensely as I feel that you guys will take the field like wolves ready to tear flesh from bone. Given the relative parity in athleticism of both teams, if we can't match your intensity, we're in big trouble.

- Working (possibly) in Bama's favor is the path to this game. I believe that going through UGA and Oklahoma prepares Bama for Clemson better than facing Pitt and ND prepares Clemson for Bama. That said, it's possible that we're more beat up from it than you guys are so I can't quite tell if this is an advantage just yet.

I dread and look forward to the challenge in the same breath. Best of luck and it's an honor to share the field with you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best team Saban has faced at Alabama

Dec 31, 2018, 2:04 AM

Forgot to include the 2015 Clemson team in the honorable mentions. Even though you beat us in 2016, I think the 2015 Clemson squad was a little better and we suffered from being one-dimensional with Jalen at QB.

IMHO it was our 2015 team who lost on poor special teams

Dec 31, 2018, 4:47 AM

play. Beat by an on-side kickoff and a 90+ yard kickoff return. DW4 pulled Clemson through in 2016/17, but the 2015/16 team was statistically better.

We're all pulling for this team - and Bama's D is weaker and their O is stronger. Will be interesting. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMHO it was our 2015 team who lost on poor special teams

Dec 31, 2018, 5:07 AM

2015 game was without our best DB ( Mackenzie ) and our best DL ( Shaq ) . Those two factors hurt us immensely , but still the special teams was huge for Alabama in that win .
I expect this game to be a little lower scoring than most will prognosticate . I think our D and their D will both play well against their opponent's offense .
Gonna be a great game .

Tigers win it . 27-24

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: IMHO it was our 2015 team who lost on poor special teams

Dec 31, 2018, 8:10 AM

The Tigers were also without Mike Williams in 2015. Special teams and our inability to cover the TE cost us that game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AND our leading receiver was out

Dec 31, 2018, 8:13 AM

Deon Cain for smoking pot. Missing 3 key pieces for that game and still came oh so close to winning. Mackenzie was the real difference though imo

Dec 31, 2018, 5:50 AM

We're definitely fresher I would think because of Dabo"s liberal substitutions during the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

I just hope the refs won't let Alabama target w/ late hits***

Dec 31, 2018, 8:38 AM

Aw, they's just good ol' boys trying to "rattle" the QB a bit.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:03 AM

What's wrong with launching direct hits to the head with the crown of the helmet?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 31, 2018, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Best team Saban has faced at Alabama ]

The substitution factor has gone right over the media's head. They look at the score and little else...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope our terrible punts don't cost us.

Dec 31, 2018, 8:46 AM

It's really puzzling that an elite program can't find a punter. Talk about a dime a dozen position. Time to get an Aussie.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hope our terrible punts don't cost us.

Dec 31, 2018, 8:57 AM

An elite punter is evidently not a dime a dozen as evidenced by the occasional drafting (Pinion) by NFL teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are not an NFL team last time I checked***

Dec 31, 2018, 9:11 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the kind words.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:13 AM

I realize that bama is stacked every year, but give us your opinion of their strongest and weakest links this year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for the kind words.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:24 PM

I realize that bama is stacked every year, but give us your opinion of their strongest and weakest links this year.

When Clemson is on offense, I expect them to attack with their running game as we've had some teams that have had success against us running the ball. We're softer here than we've ever been. Given our success with Tua, I can't tell how good our running attack is. Could we run the ball if Tua was being shut down?

This matchup will likely be decided by Alabama's ability to exploit Clemson's pass defense which looks to be its weakest link even though 18th in the country is hardly weak at all.

Again, when looked at holistically, neither of these teams have a major flaw. Add to that the ACC's impressive bowl season and it feels like this is Wlad Klitschko vs Vitali.

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,465
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic