Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do any of you old timers remember Vinny Hamilton?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 3,584

Do any of you old timers remember Vinny Hamilton?

Dec 15, 2020, 8:17 PM

I saw a special on Ja Morant the other night and it reminded me of one of our greatest players ever .

Vincent Hamilton was a star . He was 6’4 “ guard who had a great shooting touch but could also play way above the rim .

Loved hearing Jim Phillips call “ Vinnny Hamilton with the rainbow jumper “ . Boy , LJ could really get rocking back then .

I believe Vincent was named the Clemson male athlete of the Year in ‘85 .

Sure was a fun player to watch .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was "rainbow archer", I believe.***

Dec 15, 2020, 8:23 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: It was "rainbow archer", I believe.***

Dec 15, 2020, 8:53 PM

Yep you’re right

Re: Do any of you old timers remember Vinny Hamilton?

Dec 15, 2020, 8:24 PM

Jim Philips would say “rainbow archerrr, good”. Loved Vinny Hamilton.

Dec 15, 2020, 8:25 PM

I remember him but I am not an old timer. I am only 53 years old.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 8:52 PM

Yeah , you are just a young un .

I know right, not yet 45 but didn't want to identify as an OT...

Dec 16, 2020, 1:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Do any of you old timers remember Vinny Hamilton? ]

Met VH once, he & his dad had minor car trouble in Chesnee on their way to Clemson-

Hey hey hey - I am not old.

Dec 15, 2020, 8:25 PM

Ok, maybe I am.
Great rebounding guard!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who you calling old ????

Dec 15, 2020, 8:27 PM

I had class with Vince and the Grant twins....

Re: Who you calling old ????

Dec 16, 2020, 12:20 AM

The Grants were good guys. Down to earth country boys. I wrote sports for the Tiger and they were always nice.

From YouTube ...

Dec 15, 2020, 8:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7vovzDBUM8&list=PLcwmNfPN4G54qQSvQqF2HjyaRbFemJfil

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: From YouTube ...

Dec 15, 2020, 8:48 PM

Remember him once dunking over 7’5” Chuck Nesbit of NC State. Just had no supporting cast. Clark Bynum never achieved his 5 star ranking. Vance Wyatt got the injury bug. Joe Ward, maybe one of the highest rated high schoolers to ever sign with CU, transferred to UGA. Raymond Jones was too inconsistent.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:12 PM

Ah, I miss the days when every basket scored was simply 2 points. Vincent was one of our greatest ever. Just imagine the points Oscar Robertson, or Jerry West might have scored back in the day....

Go Tigers!!!

Dec 15, 2020, 9:36 PM

or Pete Maravich....

Joe Ward was a bizarre situation ...

Dec 15, 2020, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: From YouTube ... ]

Rookie of the week a couple of times early in his freshman year. Fell out with Coach Bill Foster. Went to the bench. Transferred to UGA. Played with older Dominique. All-SEC as a senior. Could jump like 'Nique and Jordan and developed a good 3-pointer. Excelled at some post-graduation all-star games. Last man cut by Phoenix Suns his rookie year. Problem was he was an tweener - between 6'4" and 6'6" and a mediocre ball handler. Always thought if he had played for a better college coach and developed his game, Ward could have been a legit NBA starter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe Ward was a bizarre situation ...

Dec 16, 2020, 12:03 AM

Jumpin Joe Ward I believe his nickname was

Dec 15, 2020, 9:06 PM [ in reply to From YouTube ... ]

Many thanks for that clip . It really brings back some great memories .

Dec 15, 2020, 9:55 PM [ in reply to From YouTube ... ]

Yeah, thanks for that video... good memories. What a sweet touch he had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I was sitting close to the court one night and

Dec 15, 2020, 9:15 PM

Grayson Marshall fed VH on the wing and said, Hit it, Vinny!" And Vinny did. I've always thought that was a cool example of teamwork and confidence in your teammate.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:23 PM

I was a freshman in 84 but I used to go up for weekends a few years before because I had friends in school from high school and because I had a very good friend in grad school and he was the dorm supervisor for Lever. The three high-rises on the opposite side of campus from Johnstone had two very nice apartments on the first floor and usually at least one of those apartments was occupied by the dorm superviser.. Each hall had an RA, but the RA‘s would answer to the dorm supervisor. And typically the dorm supervisor was a grad student.

So anyway I was up there one weekend and went to a hall party in Lever And it happened to be the floor that had a bunch of basketball players because back then pretty much the entire basketball team stayed in Lever.

Wellllll I ended up having a beer in Vinnie’s dorm room and man was it bizarre. First when you came through the door they had all these beads hanging down like from the 70s like you’d buy from Spencer’s!

I’m sure you older guys remember Spencer’s in the mall! Remember they had all the cool stuff that high school and college kids loved?! I bet they sold most of those Farrah Faucet posters of her amazing hi rams!

I had all kinds of cool stuff from there like lava lamps and those lights that lit up from the sound on the stereo and those cool fiber optic lights and several posters and of course they used to have the awesome blacklight posters! These kids today just don’t know what they’re missing! Hell they don’t even listen to music anymore! At least not real music on a real stereo!

But I digress!

So first you go in their room and you had to go through the beads then they had all these wild posters on the wall I think one of them was the one that spencers had of the zodiac and all the sexual positions. They also had a velvet bedspread. A gold velvet bedspread. Notice I’m saying one bedspread. Because Vinnie and his roommate, another guy that played basketball and I know his name but I can’t remember it at the moment, they had their beds push together and had it made as one bed. Yeah mon! Don’t ask don’t tell but wide-open was Clemson even back in the 80s!

I think Hamilton’s roommate was Wyatt something Wyatt? That’s ringing a bell but I can’t remember.

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Dec 15, 2020, 9:31 PM

Hamilton was a great player for us and the sad thing is from the late 70s to the early 90s we had a lot of talent come through Clemson but we would either have really good guards and no front court or would have an awesome front court but no back court. It’s like we never could get a balanced team and build off of that momentum.

I think when we truly missed our opportunity to have a great basketball program was win Press Marovich Left Clemson because Pistol Pete grew up in Clemson while his dad was basketball coach and had we gotten him to play at Clemson I think our history in terms of basketball would be very different!

You’re not an “old timer” unless...

Dec 15, 2020, 9:38 PM

you can remember Jim Phillips calling out names like Tree Rollins, Skip Wise and Stan Rome on an WFBC AM Tiger basketball game radio broadcast.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You’re not an “old timer” unless...

Dec 15, 2020, 11:04 PM

We have had a lot of great players over the years and we have had some very good teams, we just never have been able to build a program and put together Several consecutive years of success and consistency.

If you look at all the talent that came through Clemson from the mid 70s through the early 90s it’s criminal that we never put together a solid program.

Re: You’re not an “old timer” unless...

Dec 16, 2020, 12:20 AM [ in reply to You’re not an “old timer” unless... ]

Yep had to tune in and out to pick them up near Charlotte at night. I used to listen to the pre conference games to see if they would hit 100 points and I’d project the halftime score for the full game. They would run it up on the bad teams at home with those guys. Rome played a little football too.

"Skinny" Vinny Hamilton was a high quality player in his era

Dec 15, 2020, 9:45 PM

Good memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 9:52 PM

I was going to Clemson at that time. And just so you understand, you're not considered an old timer until you're 70 years old.
Vincent was one heck of a player. There were a bunch of great players we got to see play in Littlejohn.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Best rebounding guard to ever play at Clemson***

Dec 15, 2020, 11:55 PM

Re: Best rebounding guard to ever play at Clemson***

Dec 16, 2020, 12:18 AM

I played with him a few times at Fike in the early 80’s. He would come back and play with some of the football players and b-ball. Horace Dale Davis Grayson. I remember him getting into it with someone I think Ricky from Pendleton. He would say he was soft and they really started whacking each other. He could shoot. I also remember Epply. He had ridiculous range and super strong.

Dec 16, 2020, 8:12 AM

I am a young guy so I thought you were talking about Vernon Hamilton lol. I remember him.

Replies: 28
| visibility 3,584
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic