Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

New Story: Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved

Dec 10, 2014, 11:54 AM

Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved

Deshaun Watson’s surgery is the best news that Clemson fans who care about the long-term future of the program could have received this holiday season. Why? Because of the future. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you have 67.9 completions?

Dec 10, 2014, 11:57 AM

Only get partial credit for the fly sweeps?

Re: How do you have 67.9 completions?

Dec 10, 2014, 12:42 PM

Completion rate

sorry i can't read***

Dec 11, 2014, 1:44 PM

Let me say first, I think this is the right decision

Dec 10, 2014, 12:00 PM

but one thing I've not heard discussed. A bowl win/loss impact on the preseason rankings. If you don't think preseason rankings are important, ask TCU.

But still think this is the right decision

Re: Let me say first, I think this is the right decision

Dec 10, 2014, 12:02 PM

I agree, def the right decision. The whole waiting process on this was seeing what bowl bid we'd get. But I'm glad the chose to get this taken care of now and get him back 100% sooner than later.

Preseason rankings weren't important to TCU. They actually

Dec 10, 2014, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Let me say first, I think this is the right decision ]

passed Baylor and Ohio State during the season but fell back behind the last week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do you assume we are

Dec 10, 2014, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Let me say first, I think this is the right decision ]

going to lose? Do you not realize the potential of the other 21 players on the field?

We have a shut-down D playing against a weak offense and our running attack has matured greatly with Gallman and Dye plus Williams and Scott are just now hitting their stride. Cole will do fine with the extra reps and being healthy again.

Don't count us out yet my fellow tiger.

I predict we win 49-17

Go Tigers!

Re: Why do you assume we are

Dec 10, 2014, 2:26 PM

Win this game with Cole running the show? You're kidding, right?

Dec 10, 2014, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Why do you assume we are ]

I agree that we need to have more confidence in the whole team.

I believe these guys will come through for us.

About the score I don't predict.

Just know we have a very good team and that we need to show them we support them. Go Tigers

Dec 10, 2014, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Why do you assume we are ]

Well said. I hope that Tony and Jeff develop a plan for a relentless running attack, with some jet sweeps mixed in. And, if CS is going to throw the ball, have him throw deep posts and fly routes so the picks don't turn into pick-sixes. Just think back to the GT game... GT's offense scored only 14 points... their defense scored the other 14. Take that away, and we're in the ballgame until the very end!

Go Tigers! Win it with D-E-F-E-N-S-E

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2014, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Why do you assume we are ]

Does it have to be Stoudt??? We have two other QB's that Chad Morris said were here for a reason.
Were they so off in their recruiting that neither of these guys can even challenge
Stoudt----who shouldn't even be playing at Clemson.

Re: New Story: Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved

Dec 10, 2014, 12:00 PM

Welp see what 3 weeks of game planning and prep can do for the offense. I expect a lot dif running plays, screens, wildcat, toss sweeps and alil trickery involved. Stoudt may only throw the ball farther than a yard once or twice the whole game.

Dec 10, 2014, 12:12 PM

If he throws it, it needs to be deep, deep, deep. Then if intercepted, it's a long way to the end zone for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 12:18 PM

I think they told everyone he would play for 2 reasons.

1) For bowl selection, if bowls thought Watson was going to play, our value to them was high.
More tickets, more fun to watch, and just in general a better team. So it was so that Clemson could get the best bowl possible.

2) It left options open, had we made a bigger bowl, Dabo had the option to play him(although, my guess is that this was never the intention.)

I have to say, I like the strategy to try and get Clemson to the best paying bowl possible.

I also like the fact, that they are going ahead with the surgery. Go Tigers!

Dec 10, 2014, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved ]

Yeah I agree on a few deep balls, it would be no different than a good punt if a tackle is made immediately after. Who knows he may complete one or two, to his defense...Hopper and a few others have dropped the FEW good passes he has made.

Dec 11, 2014, 1:44 PM

You are right about the drops. He could have looked a lot better with some of those drops being caught.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved ]

It may be a rough game for both teams. Oklahoma is more beat up than we are and may not even have their starting QB or star freshman RB for the game. I'm just going to enjoy watching this defense one more time and hope that Cole can leave a good last impression.

Seems like such decision could have been made before

Dec 10, 2014, 12:06 PM

telling everyone he would play in the bowl game.

But it's always good to taunt the gamblers and bookies.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Best option for the future...Go Tigers!***

Dec 10, 2014, 12:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 12:14 PM

I'll take a certain loss and all of the negative ramifications that go along with the loss to have DW healthy. Our record isn't important.

Re: Good move

Dec 10, 2014, 12:26 PM

Really smart move here. I'm sure Watson agrees and doesn't want another QB to get any kind of leg up on him in the spring. Just think what a completely healthy Watson will do next year when the Tigers travel to "cootville". It's still the olny game that matters.

Dec 10, 2014, 1:17 PM

No QB in the country is going to get a leg up on DW. He could sleep all summer and still be the best QB on the field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Good move ]

Still the only game that matters? How can you be so nieve? Yes beating south Carolina is important....but the only game that matters is a ridiculous statement. I think getting the Florida state monkey off our back is a biggie. Not to mention Georgia tech will be even better next year. How about every game is the most important game of the season when played?

Dec 10, 2014, 4:22 PM

Must be a young one. Evidently the previous 5 years didn't bother you. It's ok, you'll learn.

I am sure that

Dec 10, 2014, 12:27 PM

if we had made it to the Orange Bowl DW would have played and honestly it may have been worth it for him personally and the team. A second tier bowl named after a second tier clothing line is not worth it though...

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Dec 10, 2014, 12:28 PM

Great news. Glad to see surgery now instead of after Bowl Game. To much risk in further damage to knee if one of those 300+ pound line man falls on his leg. Very concerned if the Coaching Staff darts Cole Stoudt. He is not the best choice to start. Coles inability to throw the ball to OUR receivers, as well as run the offense leaves a lot to be desired. Cole will be done.after bowl game. Nick should get the start to get some serious game time for the benefit of having a QB that can contribute for Spring Practice. Nick still has 2 years left, and the incoming Freshmen( Isreal and Bryant) will not have enough knowledge to run the Offense during Spring Practice and be effective. Also, consider one of the other posts, need to win against Oklahoma to have decent preseason ranking going into 2015. Need that to make run at playoffs. I don't think Cole Stoudt gives us a chance.to win considering past performance.this season. Just my opinion. GO TIGERS !!!

Completely agree-- give Nick a chance...

Dec 10, 2014, 4:23 PM

he has a future with Clemson. Cole is done. He should play a backup role. No matter what the outcome, look to the future. I love Dabo and what he has done for the program and the image of Clemson University... but he does tend to get stuck in the present... he stuck with Kyle Parker over Tajh Boyd until Parker cracked a rib in the Bowl game in Charlotte and forced his hand... and look what Boyd did when he FINALLY got to take the reins...

If CS starts and plays the lead role in the Bowl game, I hope Scott and Elliot have a game plan of pounding the ball, mixing in a few jet sweeps, only letting CS throw really deep downfield to avoid the pick-sixes, and winning the game late. I went to Clemson between 1967 and 1973 during the "three yards in a cloud of dust" era of Frank Howard... maybe this is the time to try it again!

Go Tigers, and thank God for the Defense that Brent is re-installing!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Completely agree-- give Nick a chance...***

Dec 10, 2014, 4:50 PM

Re: Completely agree-- give Nick a chance...***

Dec 10, 2014, 4:53 PM

I agree nick should get the shot. When cj Davidson lost a fumble they snatched him out. Why a different standard with cole. On the other hand coaches watch these guys every day maybe cole is better than nick. If he is,however, we are in a pile if trouble if Watson hoes down next year.

Dec 11, 2014, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's knee surgery is best for all involved ]

I totally agree. Give Nick a shot. How could he possibly do any worse than Cole who is simply NOT a D-1 caliber QB. It is what it is.

Re: This is great for me

Dec 10, 2014, 12:31 PM

saves me the money I would have spent going to Orlando for a long weekend.

Thanks Clemson for looking out

Dec 10, 2014, 12:32 PM

GET WE'LL SOON DESHAUN !!! GOOD LUCK WITH SURGERY AND REHAB. NEED YOU BACK HEALED AND READY FOR NEXT SEASON. GO TIGERS!!!!

No it's not, it's to appease the masses.

Dec 10, 2014, 12:32 PM

If the concern was there they would've done it prior to the GaSt game. The long list of athletes that have played with no ACL or a torn one includes, Hines Ward, Dave Remmington, Mickey Mantle, Tiger Woods and so on. For an injury that requires a minimum of 6 months recovery three weeks is not going to make a difference.

Re: No it's not, it's to appease the masses.

Dec 10, 2014, 12:41 PM

Yea ok ole smart one.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2014, 1:22 PM [ in reply to No it's not, it's to appease the masses. ]

Did you seriously compare tiger woods playing on a torn ACL to dw playin on a torn ACL.FOOTBALL is a contact sport where they is 100x more chances for him to injury the knee even more.obviously it keeps getting worse first it was just sprained then he tore it. no sense In him playing in this game even if 3 weeks doesn't make a difference it can still be injured more which will add a lot more time to recovery we need him back to make a
Playoff runs next couple of years not for 2nd tier bowl against a struggling Oklahoma

Nice of you

Dec 10, 2014, 1:30 PM

to pull Woods out of that and not Hines or Remmington.

Re: Nice of you

Dec 10, 2014, 4:29 PM

I'm sorry, but Woods is not fit to carry DW's jock strap!

Dec 10, 2014, 1:47 PM [ in reply to No it's not, it's to appease the masses. ]

3 weeks makes a huge difference. They don't get much time for conditioning and drills before the season starts so any head start he can get to get healthy is better.

if only he had gotten the surgery right away after the injury

Dec 10, 2014, 12:39 PM

he would be so much further along with his recovery. because his long-term health is the most important thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Maybe he wanted to finish the semester/exams

Dec 10, 2014, 2:18 PM

before having a major knee surgery?

best news would be that they have . . .

Dec 10, 2014, 1:48 PM

someone ready for next season when he goes down again.

Re: best news would be that they have . . .

Dec 10, 2014, 2:11 PM

Read Tigernet news releases. We DO have a heck of a backup coming.

I think that Bryant and Isreal waiting in the wings

Dec 10, 2014, 4:32 PM [ in reply to best news would be that they have . . . ]

is a little more comforting than CS. Not critisizing Cole... just stating a fact.

Dec 10, 2014, 2:09 PM

I'm all in favor of this decision. Better to prepare for the future than sacrifice for the present. We'll be OK, and hopefully, so will Watson--GO TIGERS!!

Wins against unranked opponents is at stake

Dec 10, 2014, 2:22 PM

Another note besides the 10 win season ....

Clemson has now won 27 consecutive games vs. unranked opponents, the second longest streak in the nation behind Alabama who has won 54 in a row.

Oklahoma is unranked so the streak will likely end with Cole Stoudt at QB.

I disagree...

Dec 10, 2014, 4:35 PM

CS continued the streak against unranked opponents by 4 games while DW was out...

Come on... be a Tiger fan rather than a "nay-sayer."

place your bets before Vegas changes the line***

Dec 10, 2014, 3:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then I guess.....9-4 it is!

Dec 10, 2014, 4:00 PM

Can we forfeit the bowl?
LOL

Better hope our defense can hold them to under 10 points, and Lakip can make 3 or 4 FGs.

Otherwise...
Bowl might be a loss cause.

But I understand (Watson)

Re: Absolutely right. There is zero upside in winning a

Dec 10, 2014, 4:30 PM

meaningless bowl game if it means jeopardizing DW's career. Get him healthy and let him compete with Tucker and Dr. Schuess in the fall camp.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Dec 10, 2014, 5:26 PM

I cant wait for next year. Watson healthy kicking butt with two legs!

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic