Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does “Best is Standard” only apply
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Why does “Best is Standard” only apply

Mar 13, 2019, 9:00 PM

to FB?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But “The Best Is Yet To Come”

Mar 13, 2019, 9:06 PM

So we really don't have that as a standard yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does “Best is Standard” only apply

Mar 13, 2019, 9:19 PM

I see what you did , there .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2019, 10:50 PM

Simple answer: because improvement is incremental.

When the WV football beatdown occurred, we had 3 players on that defense that were invited into NFL camps the next summer. So other than Kevin Steele having a really poor plan that night, why did we give up 70 points?

Because A) the performance level dropped off drastically from those three to everyone else, and B) Steele's game plan didn't utilize the strengths the team had. In stead of those guys raising the team performance, they highlighted the inconsistencies.

So instead of talking about "Best" before we as a program were ready, or waiting patiently for the next team to go through the cycle out/in, Dabo made a bold change to a DC who A) knew how to take advantage of inconsistent skill levels and B) recruited to eliminate them.

You can't talk seriously about being the best unless you have a team--and staff--that understand the word.

Maybe Brad himself doesn't understand the word. Maybe he hasn't taught it to his staff. Pretty sure the players are stuck on "Try Harder". Great effort, unsatisfactory result.

I've always wondered why we only criticize Brownell for EOG breakdowns but never the other coaches. Do we really think Coach K or Roy Williams draws up the EOG plays in tight situations for their guys? Roy was in the locker room for ours! So if offensive tactics aren't BB's strength, why doesn't he delegate it to an asst who can? Are they that rare?

Why don't you hold our administration and fans to

Mar 13, 2019, 10:54 PM

that same standard when it comes to basketball?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Honest question Judge

Mar 13, 2019, 11:03 PM

What are Brad's chances of surviving next year when we could be a unanimous last place pick in the league?

Another honest question. If they are extremely slim as I believe, why wait?

because we need his incoming class?***

Mar 13, 2019, 11:04 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can transfer just as easily next year

Mar 13, 2019, 11:07 PM

if we actually ponied up and hired an Alford or Motta, you yelling me they wouldn't play for them?

Brad isnt surviving next year

Mar 13, 2019, 11:08 PM [ in reply to because we need his incoming class?*** ]

It will be a Shyattesque debacle

I don't know.

Mar 13, 2019, 11:13 PM [ in reply to Honest question Judge ]

I share your concern about next year. It's definitely a rebuilding year, although I don't think we will be as bad as some here think. I don't expect to make the NCAAs next year, and the NIT would probably be an accomplishment. I don't think we will finish last in the league though.

So to answer your question, what should we expect next season? Is the simple fact that we clearly shouldn't expect an NCAA berth next year, in year 10 of Brownell's tenure, enough to get rid of him now? Or is the fact that he runs a clean program, graduates his players, and has us really competitive night in and night out good enough to keep him? He will be our all-time winningest coach by the mid-point of next season...

My issue is this: if Clemson fires Brad, and just brings in another mid-major coach without making some substantial changes in how basketball is viewed and supported at Clemson, then the chances of that coach being successful here and staying here over the long haul are both very slim. If we are going to do that, I'd rather keep Brad and see if he can turn things around. By all accounts, we're really close now. And we could do a LOT worse than Brownell.

Does Clemson truly want to be a basketball power, or not? If we are going to get really really serious about basketball at Clemson, from the AD all the way down to the fans, then sure, go get that coach now who recruits great and has already been successful at the major college level, and who will represent our school well and not bend the rules. But if not, I'd rather stick with Brad for another year or two and see where we are then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Re: Why don't you hold our administration and fans to

Mar 14, 2019, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Why don't you hold our administration and fans to ]

I think that starts with the fans and a demand for change. You seem to have been the biggest excuser for the program, Keller.

Misspelled “supporter”.***

Mar 14, 2019, 7:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Mar 14, 2019, 6:46 AM

Simple answer - This isn't a Clemson athletics slogan, it's Dabo's slogan for the football team.

Mar 14, 2019, 7:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Why does “Best is Standard” only apply to Football?

Mar 14, 2019, 6:52 AM

Because Basketball isn't a proper sport, it's just staying in after school, in your underwear.

Mar 14, 2019, 7:35 AM

if we want a big name coach like Alford, it will likely cost CU an additional $3MM per year (one mil of it for HC salary and two mil for assistants and staff). Wondering if we invested in assistants & staff now would we not achieve the same goals?

Mar 14, 2019, 7:45 AM

Because Dabo has that phrase trademarked and Brad Brownell can't use it. So he has to we we are a play or 2 away or is that one already taken?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best is the Standard

Mar 14, 2019, 8:33 AM

Many in the fan base do not understand what this phrase is intended to mean. It does NOT mean, “win”. It simply means, do your best. Every day, work hard to improve.

The Dabo isms apply to all sports and many to life’s. Be positive. Love God, your family and be thankful for life.
BYOG (be passionate about what you do)
All In (ignore the distractions)
The fun is in the winning (celebrate what you do right like closing deals, hitting KPIs, vacationing with family so you can recognize what all of the hard work was for)

Also, I think the actual quote is "Best is the standard."

Mar 14, 2019, 8:43 AM

That's significantly different than "Best is standard," which means that the standard, normal way of doing business is being the best.

OTOH, "Best is THE standard" means that the standard (read in "goal") we want to reach is being the best. We may not reach it every day but we're still working toward it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because no1 has painted it on the basketball

Mar 14, 2019, 11:57 AM

Practice facility.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic