Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best concert you've ever seen?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 73
| visibility 1

Best concert you've ever seen?

Nov 7, 2017, 11:34 AM

In the early to mid-70s, there seemed to be a period where all new rock bands sounded the same, and everyone was yearning for something original. My Jersey buds in Johnstone turned me on to Springsteen, and not only the new Born to Run, but his two previous albums that didn't sell very well.

This guy was a revelation, and seemed to be Dylan, James Brown, and Van Morrison rolled into one. Finally saw him live at the Township in Columbia the summer of 1978 and it was the best and longest concert I'd ever seen then and since.

I've seen most everyone... Zeppelin in 77, the Stones twice in 82 and 89, the Who in 89, two of the Beatles, McCartney and Ringo (the wrong two), Stills/Young Band in 77, Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Tull, CSNY, Jackson Browne, the Dead, Elvis C., Dylan 3 times, WSP 3 times, Eagles and Buffett together in 75, Buffett alone in Tillman in 76, Allman Bros. in 74 and a few times after, Wille and Dylan together, REM in 85 and 89, U2 in 92, B52s, and many more forgettable shows.

Springsteen's live show was just different, like R&B with a rock twist with a touch of the Jersey shore.

This is an amazing cut from a live show from the mid 70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c8SP2k9fvI

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First instinct is Tom Petty with Winwood, but I gotta say,

Nov 7, 2017, 11:36 AM

PJ burned the Bilo center down last year. Getting to hear Vs. all the way through was amazing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oooh...yeah, that one was pretty good

Nov 7, 2017, 4:18 PM

Vs straight thru def got it some bonus points in addition to it's standard awesomeness

the next day was horrible, tho

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a lot of times the crowd can help make or break the show,

Nov 7, 2017, 4:30 PM

and that was a fantastic crowd that night too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clapton & Winwood at MSG in 2008

Nov 7, 2017, 11:41 AM

When they stepped on stage, they looked across at each other and smirked like they were 18 and 20 years again. The show was sooooooooooooo good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbr0Fkg-3-o

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty envious.***

Nov 7, 2017, 12:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 concerts

Nov 7, 2017, 11:49 AM

My first concert was 1985 and I was 13. I went to the Forum in LA and saw U2 Under Blood Red Sky. The Red Hot Chili Peppers opened, but I had never heard of them so I didn't care. U2 was great.

2. A few years before Ray Charles died my Mom dragged me to a benefit for the blind concert in Miami to see him in small venue. It was maybe 2000 or so. I didn't want to go. When I got there it was right up my ally. The place was petty empty and we had our own big round table with a waitress serving drinks all night. I guess he got popular again after death, because it was not crowded. He had his gold jacket on with an orchestra etc etc. It was really cool. He killed it.

My envy over #1 is immeasurable.***

Nov 7, 2017, 11:51 AM

Yeah I was blown away.

Nov 7, 2017, 11:56 AM

It set the bar really high for what I thought a live show was supposed to be like in hindsight. I knew they were good, but I just figured that's what all good shows were like in general. I figured there were plenty like that. Looking back after all of these years I realize I saw something special.

Wish my folks had been cool enough to take me to something

Nov 7, 2017, 11:58 AM

like that back then. I would have been 11. Just took my son to see the Joshua Tree tour this past summer (he was 13) for that very reason.

Took my 10 year old daughter to see the Ringo All-Star Band

Nov 7, 2017, 11:32 PM

in Paris in 2010. It was pretty meh for me but she loved Yellow Submarine, It don't Come Easy, etc. In the band was Rick Derringer, Edgar Winter, Gary Wright and others.

I was at that Springsteen show, as well as The Who and

Nov 7, 2017, 11:49 AM

The Stones in 89. Saw Pink Floyd at Clemson whenever that was.

Many, many others, but those were my favorites.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

U2 at Williams Brice late 80s(?) was one of the best

Nov 7, 2017, 11:51 AM

I have seen as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better than the Zoo TV show there in 92?

Nov 7, 2017, 11:57 AM

Pretty sure everyone except Dail Dinwidde enjoyed that one.

Ouch***

Nov 7, 2017, 11:57 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty easy

Nov 7, 2017, 11:52 AM

James Taylor

he did a thing where he basically the stories behind all of the songs and told about his personal life, it was the allsum

Prince is up there in terms of production value and general bad@$$ness

and many for the company i kept at the show or a special date or something

for example, Robert Randolph brunch set at Bonnaroo 2005 was just magical because he was playing like it was church and the clouds parted and it was just a "had to be there moment"

i saw phish play a song called Eff Your Face in 2010 for the first time since 1987. 1200+ show gap.

i was 3 rows back for Al Green and Mrs Fluff was in heaven. he gave out roses to the ladies and i didn't grab one and some 80 yr old granma got one and i was happy for her

i was on stage for Outkast in Columbia at a 3 rivers music festival

my buddy got on stage with Green Day at a warped tour in 2001 or 2002

saw Jimmy Buffet do a tribute to DE3 in CLT

saw a ton of things at a private series at the Dock Street and seeing anyone in the oldest theatre in America 10 rows back is amazing, Chicago, Foreigner, Bonnie Rait, Aretha Franklin, Hall and Oates,

darius on the beach at the windjammer for the CMT pop up show was pretty sweet.

Jethro Tull 1971 in Charlotte***

Nov 7, 2017, 11:54 AM

Saw them circa '72/'73 at the John

Nov 7, 2017, 1:10 PM

memory fades so I don't remember which year, but there was a problem and the show did not start until 10 or 11.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unpossible to determine THE one

Nov 7, 2017, 11:58 AM

so many variables to factor in (venue size, quality of sound, people you went with, location of seats, largeness of the band....).

Ted Nugent/Mother's Finest (my first concert ever as a youngun) just absolute hugeness through the eyes of a just-turned teenager.
The Ramones (RIP all of them) in a small bar, a life altering event.
The largeness of KISS original lineup in the second row from the stage, pure epicness.
An acoustic solo Buffett show in the Grand Ole Opry house, just amazing. No drunk Parrothead foolishness.
Dozens of Drivin n Cryin/Jason & the Scorchers shows that were absolutely priceless.
Rolling Stones/Living Colour in DV. Wow.
G'n'R at their peak.
Hundreds of others, both small and large.

Just too many to process and rank.

Same for me.

Nov 7, 2017, 12:12 PM

Usually I'm all over a music thread like Dave Doeren on an illegal laptop...but I just couldn't process a 'best' one out of so many of them. Although as a rule, I usually find small intimate club shows vastly superior to ginormous coliseum or stadium shows. This one would most certainly be up near the top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UiFy7RyfKc

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. I'd give up any of the awesome big extravaganza

Nov 7, 2017, 12:15 PM

shows that I've been to just to be able to keep seeing DnC with 75 other people in a small club.

Love to see the Stones in a small club. Only

Nov 7, 2017, 4:12 PM

seen them in stadiums.

A friend of mine that I've known since we were 5 years old

Nov 7, 2017, 4:21 PM

is friends with Ron Wood and just got back from Europe hitting the end of the Stones tour there as part of the band's entourage. He was with them day and night for about 10 days. You ought to see his pics of him with Ron, Keith, Mick, Charlie, etc. He is also pretty tight with Rod Stewart and has introduced a number of our RH pals to Rod and his band when they come through here.

seeing GnR at their peak is one of the things I look back on

Nov 7, 2017, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Unpossible to determine THE one ]

as something I missed out on and won't get a similar opportunity.

Jeff Beck back in the 60s.

Nov 7, 2017, 12:00 PM

I don't think I ever saw a bad concert.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw Jeff Back and Clapton in MSG in 2010

Nov 7, 2017, 12:06 PM

Seemed like Clapton was just there for the paycheck, but Jeff Beck kicked some serious ###.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prince *****

Nov 7, 2017, 12:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 way tie. U2 Joshua tree at Omni, The Police at Omni, Pearl Jam at Fox ***

Nov 7, 2017, 12:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice. I saw the Police at Philips Arena on the reunion tour

Nov 7, 2017, 12:16 PM

sound quality sucked needlessly but I was just happy to get to see them live. Bet it was amazing in the 80's.

Saw U2 at Achtung Baby tour in 92 in Willy Brice.***

Nov 7, 2017, 12:28 PM [ in reply to 3 way tie. U2 Joshua tree at Omni, The Police at Omni, Pearl Jam at Fox *** ]

Phish at Fox 3 night's in 95.

Nov 7, 2017, 12:17 PM

INXS around 87 Park Center Charlotte.

Phish Halloween Omni 1996.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw INXS in Charleston in '86 or '87.***

Nov 7, 2017, 12:27 PM

Was probably right before or after that Charlotte show.***

Nov 7, 2017, 12:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best concert you've ever seen?

Nov 7, 2017, 12:19 PM

You should all have your S.C. citizenship revoked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlc6xCPx60U

But, cerealy, It was Kansas back in the late 70's. I think they played for a couple of hours. I think I had my legs crossed because I didn't want to go pee and miss any of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIHXhFJ4FoM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw 'em several times, earliest was '74 at August Jam at

Nov 7, 2017, 12:29 PM

Charlotte Motor Speedway with ABB, ELP, Foghat, etc.

Nov 7, 2017, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Best concert you've ever seen? ]

I witnessed this:

April 24, 1982: Tenth annual Bengal Ball, sponsored by CDCC, is interrupted by a heavy thunderstorm but the event resumes after it passes. Marshall Tucker Band, Pure Prairie League and Papa John Creech perform.

Good, but just not memorable musically for me.

I've actually been backstage at a few Marshall Tucker shows.

Nov 7, 2017, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Best concert you've ever seen? ]

Post-Toy Caldwell, unfortunately. RH Sis' boyfriend is pals with Doug Gray. Original drummer Paul Riddle hasn't been with the band in years, but did help Sis' boyfriend in recording his one and only album.

Three way tie.

Nov 7, 2017, 12:21 PM

Combined pipes and band of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in Raleigh

Robert Earl Keen here in GSO

Doc and Merle in Greenville

Love REK.***

Nov 7, 2017, 12:30 PM

Going to see him in a few weeks at the Peace Center

Nov 7, 2017, 1:11 PM

that will be the fourth time for me. Puts on a good show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2017, 12:22 PM

Rolling Stones in Clemson (late 80's)
Eagles in Raleigh (early-mid 90's)
Kiss (a few times)
Kid Rock (2 years ago in Charlotte)

This one is going to sound crazy...

Nov 7, 2017, 12:42 PM

and I was as surprised as you'll probably be.
I went with a friend to see the farewell Motley Crue tour on a nostalgic Groupon ticket (read free). Motley Crue basically sucked. However, Alice Cooper was the opener...and it was one of the most entertaining things I have ever seen. It was an awesome surprise. The mix was crystal clear, the musicians nailed their parts, and it ended with a decapitated Alice Cooper.

I bet I saw AC 6 times in his heyday

Nov 7, 2017, 1:17 PM

put on a good show at the old brown box in Greenville and Township in Cola.

As big an Alice Cooper fan as I've been my whole life

Nov 7, 2017, 4:27 PM [ in reply to This one is going to sound crazy... ]

I have yet to see one of his shows. I think Greenville in February might finally be my time.

Good ones for a lotta different reasons

Nov 7, 2017, 12:52 PM

Stones in DV was a huge spectacle. I remember seeing all the trucks showing up a week in advance to build the stage. Freshman year in Johnstone F, doesn't get any better as far as cool college experiences.

A couple of Dead shows when Bruce Hornsby was with them, I wanna say Carter Finley and maybe the Cap Centre. He added a great dimension to the band.

Neville Bros @ jazzfest, where they played a heavy Meters set...dang they can funk. Followed by the Peace Center show when I realized my bud and former guitar teacher was playing with them.

Lotta Jazzfest standouts like Kermit Ruffins, Astral Project, Los Hombres Caliente type stuff.

Hands down it was Chris LeDoux in Gillette, Wyoming in 1993

Nov 7, 2017, 1:15 PM

at the High School Rodeo National Finals. Had a friend that qualified to go as a bullrider. Honest to goodness the wildest craziest concert I've ever seen. Chris had to be dog tired after he got done, he ran around, jumped off the stage into the crowd and you could tell he honestly loved every minute of it.

I read that post in Cliff Claven's voice.***

Nov 7, 2017, 1:42 PM

Where did you grow up?***

Nov 7, 2017, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Hands down it was Chris LeDoux in Gillette, Wyoming in 1993 ]

LOL @ asking where Shorty "grew up" just LOL out loud

Nov 7, 2017, 4:16 PM

josephg®, I "grew up" in the Clemson area

Well, ###, you weren't born 5'2"***

Nov 7, 2017, 11:23 PM

I've got a neighbor from New Mexico

Nov 7, 2017, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Hands down it was Chris LeDoux in Gillette, Wyoming in 1993 ]

He graduated from NM State; played pro ball for a while. When I first met him he asked me about music and what we listened to etc. First thing he said was he loved Chris Ledoux, and the only song I knew by him was "The Rodeo Song" because closing songs at TTT.

/CSB

I bet that was awesome.

Nov 7, 2017, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Hands down it was Chris LeDoux in Gillette, Wyoming in 1993 ]

I like me some Chris LeDoux (RIP). His son Ned is starting to get his name out there a little bit now. Sounds eerily like his dad.

Either The Who with LS opening or Dire Straits at the Fox

Nov 7, 2017, 1:16 PM

The Who in 73 had Lynyrd Skynyrd opening for them. Great show at the old Omni in the ATL.

But I would say Dire Straits at the Fox in 86 was just amazing.

honorable mentions:

Saw Bruce many times but the 84 tour at the old Charlotte Colesium(?) was over 4 hours of great music.

Fleetwood Mac at the BILO center was a great concert.

Rod Stewart at Littlejohn early '70's.

Re: Concur....Jimmy Buffett in Tillman

Nov 7, 2017, 3:31 PM

and Brian Wilson at Wolf Trap up here.

Nov 7, 2017, 3:49 PM

So hard to say. Kinda like saying who is the best basketball player. So many players were so good at different things. For me:

Prince at BiLo Center- just an unreal musician and entertainer. A three hour party. Venue sucks for concerts though.

Tedeschi Trucks Bands- gonna play a smaller venue and not as popular but for musical talent this band is unreal. Like VERY good.

Garth Brooks/Reba McEntire- saw them back in the 1990s when very popular. Not as musically gifted but put on an entertaining show.

Pearl Jam- I grew up in this era and they play a great show.

DMB- i know many hate DMB and it is easy to hate but the band is very good at what they do. Their drummer is one of the best in the world.

Randy Travis-awful.

James Taylor- obviously very popular but I found his concert to be boring.

Just a few of the shows I have seen. Fun topic.

Best basketball player or 1st team NBA history:

Nov 7, 2017, 4:10 PM

PG - Magic
SG- MJ
C - Bill Russell
SF- Lebron
PF- Tim Duncan

Because I can't think of one that's trumped it since

Nov 7, 2017, 3:55 PM

Smashing Pumpkins, circa '96?

good HS frand of mine was a YUGE fan, got 4 tix for birfday, invited moi...i was a casual listener on radio, liked them, but wouldn't have cared to go to concert if not for free tix

one helluva show, from the performance to production, effect, all kinda of crazy shizz going on on stage...

would wreck or mend (with use of time machine)

*NSYNC, October 17, 2000

Nov 7, 2017, 4:18 PM

Its when I realized I was gay.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

Nov 7, 2017, 4:20 PM

I heard in sink is where you puked the first time you played the flute.

My first show- 4 Non-Blondes

Nov 7, 2017, 4:32 PM

Opened for Aerosmith in Columbia. That ones up there

GnR prolly takes the cake for me or DMB (yes that one)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw 4 non-Blondes at the Post Office in Augusta.***

Nov 7, 2017, 5:08 PM

Top 5 in no real order: Tom Petty, Springsteen, KISS, Willie

Nov 7, 2017, 4:33 PM

Nelson, U2.

But I have seen tons of shows. The Stones, Pink Floyd, Billy Idol, The Psychedlic Furs, Billy Bragg, REM, the Grateful Dead, The Who, Duran Duran, Journey, 38 Special, George Thorogood, The Beach Boys w/o Brian Wilson, Brian Wilson, New Order, Metallica, Guns n' Roses, etc.

One that I regret I did not see when I had the chance - Prince.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nelson??

Nov 7, 2017, 4:34 PM

on purpose?

More times than I can count, but the best was in 1978.

Nov 7, 2017, 4:40 PM

Augusta Civic Center. The height of Willie's mainstream popularity. First time I have ever seen some of my relatives dance.

He's great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TBH I originally read that as "Willie (comma) Nelson (comma)

Nov 7, 2017, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Top 5 in no real order: Tom Petty, Springsteen, KISS, Willie ]

as in

U2

The Flatlanders

Nov 7, 2017, 8:33 PM

Jason Isbell

Jerry Jeff Walker at the Country Buckboard in Marietta GA many times

REK way too many times

Drive-by Truckers

Todd Snider unless he's with The Hard Working Americans (don't get that jam band ####)

August 5, 1972

Nov 8, 2017, 9:08 AM

Badfinger @ Bell Auditorium
https://youtu.be/C53QAuOoSgc
Great live performance. So tight.

Hard to say just 1, so top 5 are....

Nov 8, 2017, 9:33 AM

- U2 - 1992 Ga Dome
- REM - 1989(?) undercover warm-up gig for Green tour at a bar in Athens near their studio on W Clayton St.
- Pink Floyd at Death Valley (from what I remember)
- The Connells - Greenville 1991(?)
- Rolling Stones - 1989 Death Valley

WIDESPREAD PANIC, ASHEVILLE, NC - 4-21-2002

Nov 8, 2017, 10:03 AM

Small spring tour where we hit both Raleigh shows prior to Asheville. Mikey died not too much later, but IIRC, we already knew he was sick/dying.

You can listen to it here:
http://www.panicstream.com/vault/widespread-panic-04212002-asheville-nc/

Widespread Panic
04/21/02
Civic Center,
Asheville, NC

1: Hope In A Hopeless World, Diner > Bear’s Gone Fishin’* > She Caught The Katy*, Old Joe**, Casa Del Grillo, Happy Child > Holden Oversoul > It Ain’t No Use > Henry Parsons Died

2: Action Man, Sleeping Man, Hatfield, All Time Low, Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys > Blackout Blues > Drums > Jam* > Papa’s Home* > Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys*, Chilly Water*

E: Chunk Of Coal, End Of The Show**

* with John Keane on guitar
** with John Keane on pedal steel

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WSP 12/31/1992 - Georgia Theater

Nov 8, 2017, 1:25 PM

Just look at this set list. Mikey even was standing.

1: Machine > Barstools and Dreamers, Space Wrangler > Walkin’ (For Your Love) > Papa’s Home, Diner > Knocking ‘Round The Zoo

2: The Take Out* > Porch Song* > Driving Song* > Travelin’ Light* > Driving Song* > Pickin’ Up The Pieces*, Flat Foot Flewzy*, Conrad, Pleas, It Ain’t No Use > Pigeons, Weight Of The World > Drums > I Walk On Guilded Splinters, Love Tractor, Dream Song, Can’t Find My Way Home

E: Proving Ground

* with David Blackmon on fiddle

Machine > Barstools opener...Greenr is picking jaw off floor***

Nov 8, 2017, 1:29 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I usually hate new year's eve. Not that one.

Nov 8, 2017, 1:31 PM

18 years old, I'd been in college a whopping 3 months, and I was seeing that. My world had chaaaanged.

Gotta be a 5 way tie between

Nov 8, 2017, 1:58 PM

each of the 5 times I've seen Outkast.

Check it, the one at Club Nation in DC when the Dungeon Family made a cameo was the pointiest tiddy.

Greenr

alright alright alright alright***

Nov 8, 2017, 2:00 PM

Replies: 73
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic