Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bentely would be our starting QB this year.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

Bentely would be our starting QB this year.

May 27, 2017, 1:28 PM

I'm not suggesting the guy is some all-star, and it's easy to poke fun at his idiotic comments. However, there's also very little doubt in my mind that he would be our starter game 1 against Kent St.

Potentially Hunter Johnson would win the job later in the season. Honestly, Bentely would probably be pretty good QB in our system with our OL. SCar's OL may be worst than Wake Forest.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year.

May 27, 2017, 1:36 PM

Yeah, not a fan of delusional guys that quit halfway through a game though. He has some talent, he's just not surrounded by a strong supporting cast...and probably won't be anytime soon.

May 27, 2017, 1:44 PM

I'm searching to find where this so called talent is. They miraculously beat Tennessee and he had a good game against a horrendous South Florida defense. No mobility and not quick at reacting in the pocket. I'm amazed by the hype he is getting

A full season as starter will expose him for what he is...

May 27, 2017, 1:47 PM

another coot chump

+1***

May 27, 2017, 1:50 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A full season as starter will expose him for what he is...

May 27, 2017, 4:08 PM [ in reply to A full season as starter will expose him for what he is... ]

No he wouldn't. He can't complete downfield passes consistently and his mobility is very limited. He had two games against quality defenses last year and...well need I say more?

May 27, 2017, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

He's not that good. I'm really struggling to see the hype. The gamecocks have to have something to be delusional about. Remember Ryan Brewer? I bet he'd start for us too.. lol!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think anyone is giving him "hype" except for cawks.

May 27, 2017, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

I'm just stating my opinion. Based off the extremely limited snaps I have seen of Bryant, Cooper, HJ... I would feel more comfortable with Bentely as the Game 1 starter.

Re: I don't think anyone is giving him "hype" except for cawks.

May 27, 2017, 5:51 PM

Sorry , I just don't see it . He's an interception waiting to happen . Garcia level .

May 28, 2017, 8:18 PM

Deshaun threw more picks over the last 2 seasons than anybody else in college football.

Ok. We'll trade you Jake to get DW back,any day of the week***

May 29, 2017, 1:27 PM

HUH? More ints than anyone? not true

May 29, 2017, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think anyone is giving him "hype" except for cawks. ]

no QB won more NCs in the last two years. FACT

May 27, 2017, 7:51 PM [ in reply to I don't think anyone is giving him "hype" except for cawks. ]

I've seen limited throws by the three you mention, however I have seen Bentley for one half.

I'll take any of the three dressed in orange.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Based off the extremely limited snaps"

May 28, 2017, 7:32 PM [ in reply to I don't think anyone is giving him "hype" except for cawks. ]

So what have you seen from Bentley??

May 27, 2017, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

He's no Connor Shaw

May 27, 2017, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

Wait. So you are telling me a QB can look good when playing against UMass, W. Carolina, and the SC defense-less during the spring game? :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember who won the Heisman***

May 27, 2017, 11:36 PM

May 27, 2017, 1:51 PM

I'll take Kelly anyway over that chump

May 27, 2017, 2:00 PM

I won't argue that he could possibly start, but he would become #5 or #6 on the depth chart by the end of the season. He's NOT all that good. You should watch his games. He misses too many wide-open WR's IMO.

May 27, 2017, 2:10 PM

No, Bentley would not fit in at all. We require our QB's to throw it more than 10 yards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

I'll never understand why people just make things up and present them as facts. He completed 65% of his passes with an atrocious offensive line.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

May 27, 2017, 7:36 PM

He will not hit the 2k passing mark this season.
And the excuse will be because of the O-line.
He will be on the bench by mid season.
Well maybe not because he's the best you got.
He had a couple of good games vs HS teams last year but is not an elite QB.

May 27, 2017, 9:38 PM

lol that's absurd.

Barring injury he'll easily surpass 2k yards passing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2017, 8:22 PM

It's hard to tell which Clemson fans are trolling on here lol. I see some of the dumbest comments.

May 28, 2017, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

Yes he will.

However, last year he played 2 teams with a defensive pulse - Florida and Clemson.

How did he do in those games??

Luckily he plays a weak schedule in 2017.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens,

May 27, 2017, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Bentely would be our starting QB this year. ]

2-4 yd quick hitters, and short yardage passes to the tight end.....packages designed to mask downfield incapability due to poor OL play and poor QB passing skills.....face it, on the occasions he moved around enough to give himself time, Bentley usually overthrew or underthrew and rarely lead receivers properly. He even overthrew and underthrew a significant percentage of the short ydg packages.

He may develop into a serviceable QB eventually, but he's shown very little so far that would lead one to believe he's "the answer".....and don't see what usuck's QB recruiting in the last few classes would lead ANYONE to believe otherwise

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens,

May 27, 2017, 10:57 PM

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-why-south-carolina-fans-should-be-excited-about-qb-jake-bentley/

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a fictitious argument.

May 27, 2017, 11:10 PM

It's going to be funny watching the melt down this season.
Especially after Kentucky beats you 4 times in a row.
NCST will have ole Jake messed up from the get go.

Yes, dont let facts get in the way....

May 28, 2017, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

Nm

May 28, 2017, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

Nm

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Right, don't let facts get in the way

May 28, 2017, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

Maybe tell your quarterback the same...

https://twitter.com/AaronCheslock/status/867507075219410944

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

You want facts?

May 28, 2017, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

How did he do against REAL competition?

His game against Clemson was laughable. Worst QB we played all year.

May 27, 2017, 11:30 AM [ in reply to And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-why-south-carolina-fans-should-be-excited-about-qb-jake-bentley/

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a fictitious argument.

LMAO!!!! Check the date on the article!!!!

May 28, 2017, 11:03 AM

Small sample size indeed!! You're as big a joke as your QB

The stats in that article are for one game----against Mizzou who was 89th in the country in defense and was especially bad against the pass

Fact: This article was written after THREE GAMES..

May 29, 2017, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

that he started as QB, against terrible Missouri and Massachusetts teams, and a beat up Tennessee.
Fact: he had not faced Florida or Clemson with ranked defenses yet.
Fact: He was not responsible for a single TD pass in his last THREE regular season games(Florida, Western Carolina, Clemson).
Fact: The article was a bit premature given his later performances against better teams.

hose passes were also against team with LOSING records.

May 28, 2017, 8:48 AM [ in reply to And about 80% of the passes he attempted were screens, ]

Easy to look decent against crappy teams. Refer to the 1st half of the Clemson game to see how he really looks.

May 27, 2017, 2:28 PM

He is not a Tiger, and he will never have an opportunity to start for our Tigers, not even on our practice squad. So why in the h&ll would he be given any props on a Tiger fan board of whether he could or couldn't start for our Tigers. Take that BS to the coot board, they would love hearing the BS coming from a suppose to be a Tiger!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 2:30 PM

He doesnt have talent. He's really bad honestly. Also he doesn't seem very intelligent so, long story short he's awful.

What was it that Coach Ford used to say?????

May 27, 2017, 2:31 PM

he could take a lineman and make him a QB, as long as it wasn't his starting OL?????

He is just so young being a 20 yearold sophomore next season

May 27, 2017, 2:34 PM

I am not sure he would be ready being such a baby. He might need more time to mature.

i respectfully disagree.

May 27, 2017, 2:56 PM

I would place him 5th. I am sure he has some talent - but I sure did not see anything that would move him in front of any of our guys.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2017, 3:07 PM

if Clemson was a High School in Montana

May 27, 2017, 3:10 PM

I am struggling to see whats so special about Bentley too. Perhaps he will be a great Cooterback, but he hasn't me jack squat yet. The hype on his is HUGE (in Cootlumbia) so we shall see

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

No he wouldn't***

May 27, 2017, 3:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

No he wouldn't***

May 27, 2017, 3:14 PM

Best Is The Standard

May 27, 2017, 4:24 PM

Probably about number 6 - We have at least 4 who could start for them.

I doubt it. I do think he would be in the mix with the rest

May 27, 2017, 4:42 PM

of our QBs. He would not have been 2nd string here last year; as a true freshman he still would have been behind Schuessler and probably behind an experienced Kelly Bryant. Therefore he would not have had the benefit of a year as a starter that he got in Cootlumbia. Even if he'd been able to transfer here after last season, go through spring practice and have immediate eligibility, he'd still be battling with the rest of our QBs, in my opinion, and I'm not sure at all he could beat out any of them this year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I doubt it. I do think he would be in the mix with the rest

May 27, 2017, 5:01 PM

Either you're not really a football fan, or you're a coot. Bentley would not see the field at Clemson. He had to run back and forth to the sidelines just to get plays. This is after starting the previous 5 games for them and I don't remember him having to that before. He lead his team to a 35 point deficit in the first half and was thankful he didn't have to go back out there. No, he doesn't have the talent level of Bryant, Johnson, Cooper OR Israel. Stop with that nonsense.

Re: I doubt it. I do think he would be in the mix with the rest

May 28, 2017, 9:49 AM [ in reply to I doubt it. I do think he would be in the mix with the rest ]

He didn't beat out the one coming in the fall at the Elite 11, nor the one coming next year, let's just put that out there: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2626427-5-top-performing-quarterback-recruits-from-2016-atlanta-elite-11-regional

May 27, 2017, 5:00 PM

No'

LOL...Flake wouldn't make the three deep at Clemson***

May 27, 2017, 5:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Haha not a chance. He'd be 6th string here.

May 27, 2017, 5:33 PM

The Coots would be better off with Hunter, Kelly, Zerrick, Chase or Tucker.

Snowflake Basher........Out

May 27, 2017, 5:43 PM

He wasn't recruited by CU so what makes you think he'd play over KB, ZC or HJ?

Then his bravado would be well placed.***

May 27, 2017, 5:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate the thought

May 27, 2017, 6:20 PM

Of any gamecock being ANYTHING at ALL @ Clemson!!!!!!

Go Tigers!!!!!!

May 27, 2017, 7:36 PM

Stop it!! How could you even think it, never mind say it?

May 27, 2017, 8:18 PM

Often forgotten fact: Hunter Johnson was the #1 ranked QB for the year. J. Bentley was in the same class when someone decided that 15 years was enough to spend before graduation, and he enrolled about the same time daddy got a new job. I believe JB was ranked about 5-6 in the QB class. I used to feel bad that he had been pimped out by his dad for a job, until he opened the hole beneath that gigantic forehead. So no. Lil Bentley would not start for us imo. We got the best guy in his class, a better one the year before, and a better one coming next year. We are good!

May 27, 2017, 9:06 PM

You are a really funny guy.....Bentley would be at best our 5th string QB.....if he could make the team which is very very doubtful.......Go Tigers!!!

He wouldn't make it through our fall camp.***

May 27, 2017, 11:27 PM

I only saw him play half a game but I liked his backup more.

May 28, 2017, 8:10 AM

I think he transferred already.

May 28, 2017, 8:39 AM

Bentley would be the starter only because of experience. Talent wise, he would be third or fourth on the depth chart.

Bentley reminds me of a less mobile Kyle Parker.

May 28, 2017, 11:11 AM

Parker > Bentley ....and it isn't debatable .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Chase Brice BEAT HIM out at the Atlanta Elite 11

May 28, 2017, 8:46 AM

and he will most likely redshirt this year. So, NO, lil Jake would not start for Clemson.

May 28, 2017, 10:16 AM

Why would you even have this thought? What I saw was our third, fourth and maybe walk-ons were better than any gamecock on the field. Bentley was not even recruited by Clemson. THE CFB NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!

No...no he wouldn't. Not even a 3rd stringer.***

May 28, 2017, 11:05 AM

May 28, 2017, 11:30 AM

You done lost all credibility. Are you simple ? He wasn't recruited by Clemson , beat out at the Atlanta Elite 11 by Chase Brice ( 4th string ? ) at Clemson and he played like a clueless youngster for the half he was allowed to compete at Death Valley last fall .
C'mon man , get a clue .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

DW4 didn't even start as a freshman until Game 4.

May 28, 2017, 8:13 PM

And that was against Cole Stoudt.

I clearly said Bentley would likely get beaten out later in the season.

My only point is that he's not terrible. With their OL and lack of offensive weapons, even DW4 would struggle. SCAR has much more glaring issues than QB.

Re: Bently would be our starting QB of the scout team

May 28, 2017, 12:09 PM

That's about it. The fact he started at USuCk last year is a testament to the fact his daddy is a coach on the staff. They have no offensive line again this year. Their star wide receiver finally caught his first TD pass in the bowl game (let that sink in. Your #1 receiver has 1 TD catch).

Bentley is going to get eaten alive this year.

He would be the starter at the beginning of the year because he has experience

May 28, 2017, 12:18 PM

and he's not terrible. There's a good chance he would get passed at some point during the year though. We have at least 2 QBs on the roster that are more talented and have higher ceilings.

He wouldn't be 5th string here though. He's not that bad. That's a really Clemson homer hot take.

Re: He would be the starter at the beginning of the year because he has experience

May 28, 2017, 12:21 PM

He's not terrible ? He beat 1 team with a winning record last year . He got yanked in our game because he was completely ineffective and looked absolutely lost out there .
Totally disagree with you , he wouldn't be on a Clemson roster because we have at least 4 guys who are better than Jake Bentley .

#realtalk

DB23

I don't want to spend much time defending Jake Bentley, but

May 28, 2017, 1:11 PM

no, he wasn't terrible. He completed 66% of his passes at 7.5 YPA over 7 starts. There was some bad competition in there, but he also faced 2 top 6 S&P+ defenses (Florida and Clemson) so it's not he played all chumps.

Football is the ultimate team sport. There are 21 other starters out there that all play a role in whether or not a team wins a game. QB might be the single most important position, but you can't place all of the blame on a QB for losing a game. The entire SC team was terrible against us. Their OL was atrocious.

And don't forget that we also made JT Barrett and Jalen Hurts look stupid in the playoffs. Both of those guys were 1st team all-conference QBs last year in their respective leagues and neither could throw on us.

Re: He would be the starter at the beginning of the year because he has experience

May 28, 2017, 3:48 PM [ in reply to He would be the starter at the beginning of the year because he has experience ]

What "experience" would he have here? Surely you aren't suggesting Dabo would have benched Watson for him during a NationaL Championship run....

He'd have had NO experience, Kelly would still be ahead of him.

He would be in the mix with our top 3. Would he win the job

May 28, 2017, 2:30 PM

? It would be just like our current situation with whoever worked the hardest and improved will win the job.

I think Hunter Johnson is a little more talented with his footwork than Bentley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He would be in the mix with our top 3. Would he win the job

May 28, 2017, 3:52 PM

No, he wouldn't be the starter. He is not capable. He is not intelligent enough to run the offense. His best running was back and forth to get the next play. Don't fool yourself.

May 28, 2017, 3:59 PM

Whole lot of Coot apologists around these days . When referencing some QB who plays terribly against good teams but is pretty solid against weak ones ...I fail to find the logic that he would be a starter against what Dabo has brought into Clemson's QB room .
There really is no case for Bentley having a shot over our guys , but people want to olay nice and try to make sugar outta sh!t .

DB23

May 28, 2017, 4:17 PM

No way would that loser QB our team. He would lose to our walk on Barnes for getting practice squad time. Just being realistic, so all these coots who think he has a shot at beating us in his career, no way ever will that loser beat us.

Daddy should have stuck with FBS coaching! And Jake should have went to Bama or LSU and rode the pine splinters!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Daddy didn't have a chance to stay at FCS coaching level

May 28, 2017, 7:15 PM

Remember Scott was with him a year at PC,quit and went to coaching high school to get away from him ? He was asked to leave before lawsuits from coed's families started coming.

May 28, 2017, 8:17 PM

I agree with you. Bentley would start the opening game this year for Clemson just based off of his experience. Zerrick Cooper is likely just as talented as Bentley, we'll have to wait and see what he does on the field. Hunter Johnson is probably more talented than Bentley, but like Zerrick, we've just haven't seen him take a meaningful snap.

May 28, 2017, 8:26 PM

Found another Juan.

DB23

May 28, 2017, 8:28 PM

You can call me Jason.

Re: disagree

May 28, 2017, 11:37 PM

Bentley is kind of an old school QB, and that is not necessarily a good thing.

He's all swagger and bravado but quite frankly he got in over his head and was totally shelled against Clemson.

He's not a statue in the pocket the way, say, Conner Mitch (who I corrected predicted would last maybe two games before he wound up in traction) was...but he also cannot really extend plays with his feet like Connor Show or certainly Deshaun Watson can.

He's a gunslinger but he doesn't have quite the arm strength of a Chad Kelly.

If he was a more measured, cerebral guy I'd say Bentley had the ingredients to be a good game-manager, the sort of QB that Saban plugged in for his first eight years or so at Alabama before he switched to this mobile-QB thing he's clearly still not comfortable with. The problem is that Jake Bentley isn't really grounded enough to be that sort of QB and will take chances - sometimes huge chances - which Nick Saban would absolutely not be enthusiastic about.

I don't really know where Bentley fits on the college football map. Honestly being a big fish in a small pond like South Carolina. The big schools passed on him because he's just not talented enough to play for any of them, but he's just talented enough - and cocky enough - to make a splash at a place like South Carolina, as long as they don't adjust the lenses on their expectations too greatly.

He more than kind of reminds me of a Steve Taneyhill. A little limited athletically, more than a bit country, thinks a ton of himself. Good thrower, not a great thrower.

He would not start at Clemson. Period. I just don't think he has the work ethic, the grounded nature, the humility, or the ability to compete and improve you gotta have to be successful at Clemson. At Clemson, there's always 2-3 guys around you as good as you, so you'd better learn, improve, and develop. At South Carolina...I think with a lot of guys what you see is pretty much what you get. They aren't being pressed, so why improve?

May 29, 2017, 12:19 AM

Agree with your disagree. We run our QB, have for years. Bentley hasn't shown any scramblingability. Stands tall in the pocket, but top tier d lines eat that **** up, batted balls, high throws. Mobile QB creates space & guns or runs. D4 was an artist at it. So was Woody D & Homer Jordan, works like a charm in College ball. Woodrow was the original spread QB, would love love love to see him run this modern day spread. Stats for days.

I think he would because I go back to Cole Stoudt...

May 29, 2017, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: disagree ]

Coaches started Stoudt over the greatest QB to ever play at Clemson for Games 1, 2, and 3. Cole freaking Stoudt.

The gap between Watson and Stoudt was enormous, but Stoudt had a little experience.

Bentley had 6 games of experience. That's why I think he would start Game 1. And that's also why I think Kelly Bryant starts Game 1.

If DW4 couldn't do it, then no true freshman can.

May 29, 2017, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Re: disagree ]

What's the deal with the Bentley hate?

You guys clearly are going to be a much better team than we will be next year. What's with the need to deny his actual talent?

The bigger question is what is the deal with your Clemson

May 29, 2017, 7:14 PM

love? Why not go to the coot boards and feel at home?

and Kelly Bryant would have started for SCU last year***

May 29, 2017, 5:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah . If we were the " Little Sisters of the Poor "***

May 29, 2017, 7:32 PM

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic