Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,233

Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward

Aug 17, 2015, 10:26 PM

The following are figures for plays per tackle in 2014:

Boulware: 1 tackle for every 5.6 plays
Anthony: 1 tackle for every 7.9 plays
Steward: 1 tackle for every 6.8 plays

I know there's a lot that goes into this. For instance, I'm not sure if special teams are included. Also boulware didn't play as much so he was more fresh for the plays he was in. Boulware had a team high in tackles for 2 games (louisville & sc state) and was tied for the lead in another. (Oklahoma). Oklahoma and Louisville were the only 2 games that he started.

I expect over 100 tackles for boulware this season. I truly believe that he will breakout this year.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward

Aug 17, 2015, 10:36 PM

I haven't fully bought the Boulware hype yet In the Louisville game specifically it was clear that they were targeting Boulware spot on the defense. Now he performed admirably (outside of a rushing touchdown allowed through his gap) but that they were going after him shows what someone smarter than me at evaluating strengths and weakness thought of his abilities.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They may have thought the younger guy was the weak spot

Aug 17, 2015, 10:38 PM

but that is not to say it was a weak spot, just the weakest on a defense full of talent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2015, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward ]

Pretty early in his first season of any real playing time. It's to be expected I'd say and he acquitted himself fairly well while showing great improvement throughout the year.

Aug 17, 2015, 11:04 PM

I remember early in the season he was taking bad angles and appeared slow,(UNC maybe?). TigerNet had relegated him to being at best an aggressive special teams player for the rest of his career. But then he started growing facial hair and you know the rest of the story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a concern

Aug 18, 2015, 5:05 AM

when he was coming out of high school. If he was a little bit faster/quicker he'd been rated higher. I remember reading that on ESPN, maybe. It was a recruiting website though.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How'd that work out for them??

Aug 18, 2015, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward ]

:)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see boule are as a seek and destroy type linebacker meaning

Aug 18, 2015, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward ]

hes looking for the ball usually in front of him and he's has a good knack of gap integrity and stopping the play. I see his coverage skills as his weakness and his lateral quickness as what teams will pick on. He makes up for it in instinct and toughness but doesn't erase it. Stephone was a total package type. He was good at coverage, quick enough to blitz and be effective and was decent at gap integrity.

Boulware and Anthony were great complements of each because their strengths and weaknesses offset each other. Bouleware had more tackles per play because that was his strength and job where Anthony was more your safety valve and commanded more area on the field. But if called on could be the seek and destroy type.

That's why losing Rogers is huge. I think he could have played well with Bouleware similar to Anthony's style. Now we don't know really what to expect. I don't know that Boulware can command a large area the way Anthony did. Thus I think u may see a lot of pass plays in the middle of the field this year.

Re: Ben Boulware -- Purple Panther

Aug 18, 2015, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Ben boulware vs Stephone Anthony vs tony steward ]

Boulware essentially won the Louisville game. 14-15 Tackles (including TFL's). at the end of the game, he made the play for a 1/2 yard loss on the goal line!

Tackle machine but concerned about him in coverage

Aug 17, 2015, 10:59 PM

That is where the others were much better due to their athleticism, we have two good thumping thick stockier lbs now, which had pluses and minuses, the "it's all good news" version of analysis of Clemson football is seldom correct.

Looked good in coverage against Oklahoma

Aug 18, 2015, 12:09 PM

and at WILL he'll have less coverage responsibilities than he would at MIKE anyway.

Aug 18, 2015, 8:18 AM

Am I the only one that noticed that Ben was usually "around the ball" on a lot of plays, even if he didn't make the tackle. He was a force IMO. At times, I thought he was the best player on D, even with Grady and Vic on the field. That is one position that I am not worried about.

Mac Alexander is the other. I only worry about DW4 because of all the injuries that he had last year. Let's hope he is not snakebit again this year.

Re: Ben did an excellent job in the first half against OU.

Aug 18, 2015, 1:26 PM

That being said, other teams ran at Ben because he was the younger of the three which gave him more opportunities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,233
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic