Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Being in the ACC.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Being in the ACC.....

May 10, 2012, 11:46 AM

So going undefeated even in the ACC each year doesn't get you in the top 4?

Generally, 1 to no losses is what's getting in the National Championship.

So stay in the ACC and just worry about taking care of business.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being in the ACC.....

May 10, 2012, 11:55 AM

But what if you have 3 undefeated teams and two 1-loss teams from better conferences?

Worse things have happened. I wouldn't bet anything substantial on a 1-loss or no-loss ACC team beating out a quality team from a different conference in that scenario.

That's what a lot of people are missing.

Is it going to take us getting shafted out of the 4-team playoff before people realize that the ACC is doing us no justice?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ugh, that coming true would make me sick***

May 10, 2012, 12:04 PM

How often has it happened before?***

May 10, 2012, 12:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never. It never happens. A BCS team has never been

May 10, 2012, 3:27 PM

jumped over by another team with more loses.

The only time an undefeated BCS AQ team was denied a shot at the championship under the BCS is Auburn (SEC). And that was because two other teams were also undefeated.

As bad as you all think the ACC is, we got an extra BCS team in THIS PAST YEAR.

null

Let's first worry.....

May 10, 2012, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Being in the ACC..... ]

about winning all the games we play in. Until then it's really a non-issue. We get oppotunities to prove ourselves outside the ACC and we need to excel in those games. Go Tigers!!

Last year the only AQ Confs that didn't get an at-large bid

May 10, 2012, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Being in the ACC..... ]

were the Big 12 and the Big East. Not the ACC. The Big 12. The conference everyone thinks we should join.

Pac 12 -- Oregon (champ) and Stanford (at large - mandatory by rule with #4 BCS ranking)
SEC - LSU (champ) and Bama ("at large")
Big 10 -- Wisc (champ) and Michigan (at large)
ACC -- Clemson (CHAMP) and VT (at large)
Big East -- WVU (champ)
Big 12 -- Ok State (champ)

null

May 10, 2012, 11:57 AM

If it were only that simple, my friend. The reality is it's a business. It's all about revenues. Right now, the only conferences that will get a ticket to the big dance in 2014 are the highest paying--the ACC is 5th on the list, you do the math.

Second point is the SOS is so weak in the ACC, even if we did run the table--no way we'd get an automatic bid.

That's the sad truth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I guess the good news is that with the new system 4 teams

May 10, 2012, 12:02 PM

get in and that's much better than our chances were with the current 2 team scenario. The ACC's not great, but at least the odds have doubled that we could get in the championship playoff. I'll take that any day at this point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess the good news is that with the new system 4 teams

May 10, 2012, 12:04 PM

Again, if the criteria is payout and related media market--make no mistake--the ACC will not get a bid. CFB is a business. Anyone who says otherwise is just being naive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

I would assume it would be the top 4 ranked teams....

May 10, 2012, 12:07 PM

I don't know where this bid would come into play? Unless, they are forming a committee like the NCAA Tourney.

And how many times in the last 10 years have there been multiple undefeated teams?

Re: I would assume it would be the top 4 ranked teams....

May 10, 2012, 12:13 PM

From what I've read, SOS and payout are going to be amongst the criteria. If that's true, a 1-loss team from the SEC/Pac12/Big10/Big XII will get a bid over an undefeated ACC team. Hard as it is to swallow, that is the truth

Screw Calford.

May 10, 2012, 12:58 PM

From what I've read, there are two scenarios:
1) Top four in BCS rankings gets in.
2) You get an automatic bid if you are in Top 6 of BCS and a confrence champ. That is unless you are # 5 or 6 and there are 4 confrence champs infront of you.

In either of those scenarios, Clemson would have mad it in this past year if they went undefeated. They were up to 5 after the NC game, weren't they?

May 10, 2012, 1:02 PM

I certainly don't dispute the theory, you are correct. However, our inferior SOS and poor network ties make us the odd man out if we win the ACC. Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly like to see us in the BCS playoff--I just don't see us getting there as an ACC school.

Screw Calford.

I've got to disagree with your last statement- that would

May 10, 2012, 2:26 PM

mean that you don't think we could do it now either. If the chips fall the right way, even in the current state of college football and ACC school can play for the national title.

This change doesn't make it impossible. In fact, as I mentioned before it opens up the odds a team like Clemson could get a shot with the 4 team playoff.

Contracts etc. won't influence that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Under the Top 6 plan, Va. Tech would have made it in last

May 10, 2012, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I would assume it would be the top 4 ranked teams.... ]

year had they beat us in the ACCCG. Oregon and Va. Tech would have knocked out higher ranked Stanford and Alabama, due to those two not winning their own conference. If it was simply as it happened, Oregon would have passed Stanford and Alabama would still have been in.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if FSU or VT or Miami...or all 3 decide to leave...

May 10, 2012, 12:39 PM

Clemson's decision is not just contingent on Clemson's desire. Other ACC football programs probably see the same problems with the league. If any of those teams leave, especially FSU or VT, the league will be severely diminished.

May 10, 2012, 1:05 PM

If Clemson or FSU goes undefeated, they WILL be one of the 4 teams in the playoff.

May 10, 2012, 2:00 PM

Hmmmm? My memory goes pretty far back, and for the past 20-30 years, I would hesitate to mention CLEMSON and National Championship in the same sentence. Not trying to be pessimistic, but NC? I think we need to get to the point that we don't have to struggle with Troy and NTSU and all the weakazz ACC teams before we start too much scheming to be the NC. I'd settle for a blowout in our favor over ANYBODY. Just freakin' ANYBODY. D-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N is what I want to see.

This place is all abuzz with talks of undefeated Clemson...

May 10, 2012, 2:36 PM

and national championships. With our showing in the last OB I think we might be putting the cart before the horse here.

We made a pretty good showing with a young team last year. We start out with a little higher ranking this fall. If we win out (takes lots of hard work and some luck) this year we'll get an invite to play on the big stage again.

All this talk of winning out and being jilted is only valid if we win out. Not only should we need to win out but we need to put a big point beatdown on everybody we play all the way through the conference championship game. I just don't see that happening. We are fighting air here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then you prove my point...

May 10, 2012, 3:22 PM

if we can't go undefeated in the ACC, why leave?

and if we were to the chances of us making the playoff is pretty good.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic