Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Been Mentioned that Saban was Milk Toast-like during Natty b/c he
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,900

Been Mentioned that Saban was Milk Toast-like during Natty b/c he

Feb 6, 2019, 10:27 PM

knew his team was not as good as Clemson (proof was seen 1st time in 2016 with his surprise on-side kick & recovery; which he stated after game was needed to beat Tigers)..

And in the 2019 game he showed us again that he feared Clemson by going for a 4th down in 1st qtr at his own 35..and then the fake FG.

Furthermore, as you can readily see DaBO is still hungry for the future, it may be that at 67 Saban’s appetite has lessened a bit in that he’s been at it & on top for 23 years.

Still, Saban has #1 recruiting class again which means 6 of the last 8 years..so he’s still riding high & in a Cadillac but being chauffeured!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Been Mentioned that Saban was Milk Toast-like during Natty b/c he

Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 AM

I know this is Tnet where alternative spellings abound, and I'm not looking to get landblasted, but here's some trivia.

Why is it milquetoast, and not milk toast?

Caspar Milquetoast was a comic strip character created in 1924 by the American cartoonist Harold T. Webster. The strip, called "The Timid Soul," ran every Sunday in the New York Herald Tribune for many years. Webster, who claimed that Milquetoast was a self-portrait, summed up the character as "the man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stick."

I think that accurately described Saban that day...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 8:15 AM

Plus one!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Been Mentioned that Saban was Milk Toast-like during Natty b/c he ]

Thanks for the reminder, I've always known that but have made the same misspelling error in the past +1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2019, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Been Mentioned that Saban was Milk Toast-like during Natty b/c he ]

Actually I remember my mom using that term. I always thought she was saying Milky Toast. Glad to know the origin of that funny expression.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think 'scared,' is the proper term.

Feb 7, 2019, 8:38 AM

I think after Saban watched Clemson play that he knew he couldn't stop our offense and his oline wasn't going to protect Tua. It's just a game, he's lost plenty in his career and he knows his life will go on whether he wins or loses.

You're 100% correct about Saban's going for it on 4th down from the -35 yrd line. He knew the only way to keep from being blown out was to score on ever drive and play keep away with long drives which consume the clock.

His game plan was nearly perfect considering the circumstances. A couple of us knew how much distance their was between Clemson and Bama. None of us work for ESPiN or other sports media.

It's exactly like Dabo says. "People weren't paying attention." The all consuming ESPiN Network started believing their continuous advertisements for the SEC and reason was, since Bama trounced all the SEC teams it faced throughout the regular season Bama must then be the GOAT. I doubt any of them saw an entire Clemson game other than the ones who worked on our games.

Bill, all I know about X's and O's is defined by the bounds of a child's game called Tic-Tac-Toe but I watched a few Bama games and saw that Tua couldn't read a defense post snap then predicted a 17 point Clemson win which would feel like 30.

If I saw it I'm sure Saban knew it all along and he's not a man to underestimate an opponent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,900
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic