Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather

Nov 25, 2016, 5:30 PM

on that last drive vs the coots in DV when the
senior RB was clearly fired up and running the
ball well and had helped take the ball deep into
coot territory.

Guess we should let it go, forgive and forget; the
statute of limitations has run out. But James Davis
seemed a little banged up and was not having a good
game except for stripping the coot after the almost
pick six. Proctor gets sacked and Jad Dean misses the
38 yard FG with a few seconds left after the long drive.

Can't win 'em all, but we could have had a 5-peat on
the way to 7 in a row. Went from 7-1 to 8-5 that season.
TB did some good work after the mediocre 90s, but that
was one of his worst decisions, though hindsight is 20/20.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather

Nov 25, 2016, 5:44 PM

I was thinking about that a few days ago. It's a perfect example of a coach ignoring what is happening on the field and instead going with the pre-game plan, or in this case the starter. TB completely lost that game for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm still pissed

Nov 25, 2016, 7:48 PM

I was at that game and I don't think that I've ever been that pissed at a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was painful!!! It was like the bride walking up the isle

Nov 25, 2016, 9:38 PM

only to take a stage left...

The entire stadium seemed to go "###"? Ugh... Enough of that!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm still pissed

Nov 26, 2016, 2:56 AM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

I was at that game and I don't think that I've ever been that pissed at a game.

Nov 25, 2016, 5:46 PM

Was absolutely retarded. Merriweather was on fire, was grabbing 10 a pop and obviously had a head of steam and Was Feelin' It. Carolina had absolutely no answer.

So of course Bowden yanks him. You could hear the collective groan in the stadium, and this was even for James Davis, one of the more popular Clemson players in recent memory. But Reggie was just running that well there and everybody and their brother knew it was one or two more carries before he busted it right through the back of the end zone.

There is a reason Tommy Bowden is in an announcer's booth now.

Nov 25, 2016, 5:59 PM

He's in an announcer's booth? For what games?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2016, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

He had 3 carries for 23 yards on that drive. He had a 10 yard carry, a 7 yard carry, and a 6 yard carry, not really a back on fire.

Reggie started the drive with a 10 yard run, then a 6 yard run. Not exactly gashing them. Then cj came in after a few passes and had runs of 23, 9, and 8. Then a few passes, then Reggie had his 7 yard run.

When we were around the 20 with time winding down, James Davis was put in the game to get us in good field goal position. Not exactly a bad coaching move, having your most reliable back handling the ball.

Now you can be mad at TB for playing for a fg, but I can't for the life of me figure out what everyone is talking about when they b1tch about Reggie being taken out of the game. He had little impact on that drive. ONE ten yard run isn't gashing being on fire. Cj had a much more significant impact on that drive, as well as proctors ability to pass (which is why I think TB played for the fg).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=263290228

But Davis got minimal yardage when he came in -

Nov 25, 2016, 7:05 PM

5 yards on 4 carries (not sure why they gave
it to him 4 plays in a row) and 19 for the game
according to your link. Plus Reggie was a
senior playing in his last home game and had
been a popular player and was a sentimental
favorite that day. Like i said, hindsight is
20/20 and if the sub had worked, nothing would
have been said. But it didn't and us armchair
coaches like to talk about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are literally the ONLY person I've ever heard

Nov 25, 2016, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

who defended that move by bowden. you obviously were not at the game because everyone there could feel it and Reggie was gonna pound the ball down the field and we were gonna win the game. there's this thing called momentum and it's huge in cfb. that move killed the momentum and you could feel the energy being sucked right out of the stadium.

Re: you are literally the ONLY person I've ever heard

Nov 25, 2016, 8:34 PM

The stats don't lie. He had 3 carries for 23 yards. He wasn't gashing the defense, he had one decent run and two minimal gains. I don't know why the stadium would have been so excited about that. CJ had runs of 23, 9, and 8 on that same drive (sandwiched between Reggies 2nd and 3rd runs). If you want to get mad about someone being taken out of the game, why not be mad about Davis coming in for cj?

And what are you talking about when you say that killed momentum? We drove the ball all the way down the field, bleeding off almost all the time, so we could tie the game with a field goal. It's not like we went three and out. Dean missed a chip shot. Other than scoring a td, I would say the offense did their job quite effectively.

we needed a td for the win!!!

Nov 25, 2016, 8:52 PM

you can read a play by play account if you want to or you can take people's word for it who were there and saw what was happening. we had to settle for a fg attempt because the GAME WINNING DRIVE was stifled by bowden putting in davis who got stoned! that's what happened bro. end of story

Re: we needed a td for the win!!!

Nov 25, 2016, 9:10 PM

What's the difference between being there and watching it on TV? Both of us saw Reggie run for gains of 10, 6, and 7 scattered throughout a drive. You can get mad about a player being taken out after he had 3 short runs all you want, but that didn't kill the drive. TB played for the field goal, be mad at him for that. It didn't matter who was playing rb when we were at the 20 because TB telegraphed that we were gonna run it 3 times and kick a fg. Do you not realize we drove it all the way down the field, despite Reggie being taken out?

Why would you not be upset about him taking cj out when he had 41 yards (runs of 23, 9, and 8) rushing on the drive, as opposed to Reggies 23 yards? Explain that one to me, or would I have to be at the game to understand that one too?

i'm no coach

Nov 25, 2016, 9:20 PM

and don't have an arm chair, but it seems to me like what i am hearing is

1 RB was averaging 7.6 yds per carry on this drive

we had 17 yds to go and used the guy cold off the bench who then averaged 1.25 yds per carry

let's just say RB 1 were to continue with that avg, he's through the back of the end zone and 12 feet up the hill on the 4 carries that RB 2 had and we win the game.

still not seeing how this was a good thing.

Re: i'm no coach

Nov 25, 2016, 9:35 PM

So cj was averaging over 13 yards a carry on that drive. Why isn't everyone mad he was taken out?

I'm not saying TB shouldn't have left Reggie in, or cj for that matter. My point is just that Reggie really didn't have that much of an impact on that drive as everyone says. Quozzel said he was ripping off ten a pop. That's just not what happened. That's all I'm saying. I wish he would have played for a td to win the game and not a fg to tie it.

How are 10 7 and 6 yard runs minimal? Explain that one to me***

Nov 26, 2016, 12:07 AM

Nov 25, 2016, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

This!

Honestly the Reggie tale of that game gets further from the truth as the years go on, like the proverbial "fish story".

Hey Lex Bowden lover

Nov 25, 2016, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

Burton Burns was so pissed about taking RM, out he left Bowden for Bama. Followed Bowden from Tulane to Clemson and hauled ### after 8 years at Clemson because Bowden screwed up. Burton Burns wanted RM to stay in the game and Bowden vetoed it.

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

coot

Nov 25, 2016, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

Nm

Nov 25, 2016, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

as bad as he was as a head coach TB is even a worse TV announcer ....guy cannot speak three words in a row without slurring his speech which is barely understandable.....he had to fail his public speaking class in college.....very hard to listen to him try to talk.....Go Tigers!!!

Let it go.

Nov 25, 2016, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Been 10 years since TB pulled Merriweather ]

It was terrible. It was ten years ago.

True, and there was also a really bad spot that cost us too

Nov 25, 2016, 6:34 PM

on one of Carolina's last two TD drives (I forget which), they went for it on 4th down, were clearly stopped short (close but short), and the refs spotted it as a first down and they went on and scored. Without that it wouldn't have likely come down to Jad Dean's kick.

Re: True, and there was also a really bad spot that cost us too

Nov 25, 2016, 6:56 PM

Now, I am mad all over again. It will never go away.

Re That game and the one at Duke where we were running

Nov 25, 2016, 7:01 PM

the ball on them and O'Cain kept calling tor passes to Grant. He should have been fired immediately and I don't care if he was a former Clemson player.

TD for bringing up the Merriweather debacle.

Nov 25, 2016, 7:26 PM

And as long as TB is running his chops to an audience about anything Clemson, there's certainly no forgetting that microcosm of total game flow ineptitude on his part during his tenure. The statute of limitations won't kick in until three years after him retiring from all things football.

Go Tigers! Smoke some chicken!

Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanx bro; happy day after Thanksgiving to you!***

Nov 25, 2016, 7:31 PM

To you as well. Cheers.***

Nov 25, 2016, 7:43 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TD for bringing up the Merriweather debacle.

Nov 25, 2016, 8:56 PM [ in reply to TD for bringing up the Merriweather debacle. ]

Amen!

He never had a FEEL for the game.

Nov 25, 2016, 7:49 PM

Which is why he lost so many games he should have won.

I'll never forget that decision for as long as I win.

80,000 spectators new what should be done.

Too bad 80,001 didn't.

Nov 25, 2016, 8:14 PM

Agree but the only reason TB was at Clemson for 9.5 years was because his record of 7 - 2 vs the coots.....Go Tigers!!!!

could have had a 7 game winning streak

Nov 25, 2016, 8:35 PM

vs the Coots and it would have been 11 of 12

Yep thought same thing. One of the

Nov 25, 2016, 9:22 PM

Many things he did stupid things like not going for it on 4th and 1 in Bowden bowl I. FSU wins national titie beating us 17-14

Nov 25, 2016, 9:40 PM

This doesn't qualify for hindsight... I knew it was a terrible idea as soon. As he did it lol.

I'm still not over it either. Everyone in the stadium knew,

Nov 25, 2016, 9:50 PM

everyone....except Bowden! You could tell we were going to lose the game by the way he talked all week. Bowden did a lot for our program, but he had a way of driving people nuts.

Re: I'm still not over it either. Everyone in the stadium knew,

Nov 25, 2016, 10:31 PM

hot hand,,,,,,tb said he always went with the hot hand.....a reporter challenged him in his presser..........crickets.....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

does anyone remember how

Nov 25, 2016, 10:29 PM

We were up 28-14 and we used to have the 28 points for bojangles promotion. And Dale Gilbert goes "go to bojangles and celebrate the big win!"

We thought we had it in the bag

I think this is a silly narrative. It was 2 plays just

Nov 25, 2016, 11:41 PM

outside the 11 where the field starts to get compressed and it becomes more difficult to run the ball. Who's to stay Merriweather wouldn't have gotten stopped on two runs there as well? The biggest mistake on that drive was Proctor not immediately throwing the ball at the feet of the back. You just can't take the sack there and it was 100% avoidable.

Nov 26, 2016, 6:56 AM

Nope, that is one I will never forget. Just plain dumb decision. And the one that lost the game for us. Just plain dumb and dumber!

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic