Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney: Why not us?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

Jul 20, 2011, 2:01 PM

Dabo Swinney said he understands why the national media has lowered expectations for the Clemson program for the 2011 season, but Swinney said this team might surprise some people. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swinney: Why not us?

Jul 20, 2011, 2:03 PM

width=100 height=200

let's try that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm ALL IN and say Dabo will get it done...

Jul 20, 2011, 2:21 PM

He really is a great coach...

Based on what evidence is he a great coach?

Jul 20, 2011, 4:03 PM

I'm not sold on him, if you can't tell.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

based on the fact

Jul 20, 2011, 4:04 PM

that they like him... pretty much that's it.

Re: Based on what evidence is he a great coach?

Jul 21, 2011, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Based on what evidence is he a great coach? ]

No one was sold on Danny either, especially after 6-5 in 1980.

Faith turned out to be a good thing ;)

Dabo will get another year after this no matter what. With what is on campus and recruits committed, he deserves that.

But if he does not succeed then, a change will be made.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2011, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Based on what evidence is he a great coach? ]

99% of you idiots who post here represent the most despicable aspect of Clemson Athletics. How about this all of you negative people who swear up and down u could do better bc u touched a football once in pee wee league just need to grow up. Everyone who says Dabo hasnt won us anything, your right. Coaches dont win you anything, its the players, the talent that does. Take Cam Newton from Auburn they suck, take CJ from us and we dont have a division title. He's smarter than the haters on here. He knows he has to get top talent. and guess what unless ur blind he did that. He fired our horrible OC and made huge changes in the program. Talent wins championships and Dabo went out and got the talent. So get over urself. Grow up, or how abt this when we do win, keep your mouth shut.

Well...

Jul 21, 2011, 4:18 PM

tackling the accusations in order;
Perhaps.
Most negative people haven't suggested THEY could do better, but that CLEMSON could in their hiring.
We agree!
Oh no, you kept talking... of course coaches win. That's why you pay them... and fire them if they don't, what's the word... they don't do something enough... what was it? Oh that's right... WIN!
True, he fired Napier. Good move.
Doh, he also HIRED Napier. Doesn't really say that much about his judgement does it?

So, negative people should keep their mouth shut when we win... but positive people aren't keeping quite now while we're losing. That just seems unfair. Almost like you're not interested in anything but 'Dabo is GRRRRRREAT'.

Jul 21, 2011, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Based on what evidence is he a great coach? ]

Ice cream works great on a really hot day. ha. You might need that late afternoon sugar burst for your nerves. Or maybe a cold beer?

Because you said we just needed an oil change.***

Jul 20, 2011, 2:09 PM

Re: Because you said we just needed an oil change.***

Jul 20, 2011, 2:21 PM

Are your drums in tune?

So you think we did just really need an oil change?

Jul 20, 2011, 2:43 PM

If that was true, Billy would still be our OC.

so he should have kept Napier to keep his

Jul 20, 2011, 2:50 PM

"promise" that all we needed was an oil change? the fact that we needed a little more change means that all he says going forward is null and void? what is your point?

My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win

Jul 20, 2011, 4:02 PM

something.

Don't say "2009 Atlantic!" ...Spiller, Ford and Palmer won that.

Re: My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win

Jul 20, 2011, 4:02 PM

TB won 2 of those

And look where that got him.***

Jul 20, 2011, 4:04 PM

Re: And look where that got him.***

Jul 20, 2011, 4:08 PM

exactly....2nd place don't mean shawt....

I don't know...

Jul 20, 2011, 4:25 PM

getting paid 3.5 mil to take an extended vacation sounds pretty good to me!

Funny I dont remember Danny playing a single snap

Jul 20, 2011, 4:53 PM [ in reply to My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win ]

I do remember H Jordan, the Perrys, J Davis, D treadwell, etc, etc. Seems to me if you don't give Dabo credit for 09 then you best not give Danny credit for anything he did at Clemson either.

Now I don't know that Dabo is going to be a great coach but to decide he is responsible for 2010 but not 2009 is stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly!!

Jul 20, 2011, 7:46 PM

People give all credit to the Dabo for losing, but then if he wins or does something good, it's not because of him.

Time will tell how good of a coach he is, but those who like to give him credit for losing and not give him credit when he wins, will never except him as a great coach no matter what he ends up doing at Clemson.

Those people are morons. No way around it

Re: Funny I dont remember Danny playing a single snap

Jul 20, 2011, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Funny I dont remember Danny playing a single snap ]

I think that you may find that our x-quarterback may have been, again, a major part of our lack of success. Whether you say he was trying to protect himself for his coming baseball career, or that his rib injuries were keeping him from 100%, or just a sophomore slump, he did have a key role in the lack of production. I think Parker was there to try his best, but I can't help but think that million dollar contract was staring him in the face and after the Auburn hit, he really faced a different reality - Get injured and lose a major contract. Tajh came back against S.Florida and almost pulled off the miracle finish. Give Coach his chance to pay it forward or pay the piper.

Jul 20, 2011, 7:32 PM [ in reply to My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win ]

So he gets the blame for 2010 but no credit for 2009? That makes sense.

Jul 20, 2011, 7:41 PM [ in reply to My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win ]

If that is the case, so is about 97% of all college coaches. Only about 3% of them win consistently....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2011, 7:48 PM [ in reply to My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win ]

so what credit does the hall of famer spurrier get. what has he won. absolutely nothing more than dabo has in 2 years. this is year 7 i think for the great spurrier.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2011, 7:05 AM [ in reply to My point is Dabo is all talk until he can actually win ]

so,let me get this right.players win games,coaches lose them.i guess you can look at it that way,if thats the way you want to,doesn't make sense to me though.it sounds like a coaches presser.(plain ol' coach speak)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So you think we did just really need an oil change?

Jul 20, 2011, 7:34 PM [ in reply to So you think we did just really need an oil change? ]

Billy was the cloged up filter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you do realize that was for a different season different

Jul 20, 2011, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Because you said we just needed an oil change.*** ]

team, and did that team not make the ACCCG. Lets wait and see how things work out after you have a good sampling period. All programs will go through ups and downs and what may be true one yr may not be true the next, circumstances change. Now I think our down yr was alittle more down than expected but it was only his second yr and he immediately made staff changes.

That's my point exactly! Dabo's "oil change"

Jul 20, 2011, 2:44 PM

included Napier as OC.

FIRE DABO!***

Jul 20, 2011, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Because you said we just needed an oil change.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Maybe you should change your name to Angry_Tiger***

Jul 21, 2011, 12:32 PM

I'll tell you what. No matter what you think about Dabo,

Jul 20, 2011, 2:10 PM

he's got confidence (and a touch of swagger).

Re: I'll tell you what. No matter what you think about Dabo,

Jul 20, 2011, 2:20 PM

old spice?

Now you're learning Dabo.***

Jul 20, 2011, 2:23 PM

Re: Now you're learning Dabo.***

Jul 20, 2011, 4:03 PM

#### our coach is a fanboi idiot.

Real coach please.

Re: Now you're learning Dabo.***

Jul 20, 2011, 5:35 PM

In 1980 D Ford was a dumb redneck(6-5) working on his last chance. Minus the redman, looked like Dabo had a dip in, I dont see much difference. In 1981 Coach Ford became a genius. It could happen again, why dont we be pawsitive until Coach Swinney gives a reason THIS year not to believe.

Well, one reason could be that the WRs are molasses

Jul 20, 2011, 2:31 PM

Apparently.

Jul 20, 2011, 2:44 PM

if you want alot of Dabo play all videos at one time.

I loved hearing Dabo bust on Kornkoot.***

Jul 20, 2011, 3:01 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what did he say, cant listen***

Jul 20, 2011, 3:01 PM

Nothing overt, just picking at him.

Jul 20, 2011, 3:06 PM

Asking him where he was the other day when all the other press people were there. One of the other reporters said "At Spurrier's house" and Dabo kept it going a little bit after that.

dont think Kornblut was actually in the crowd, I think Dabo

Jul 20, 2011, 9:01 PM

asked some other unknown reporter why he hadnt been at dabo's house the previous night with the rest of the press, and some other reporters said "he was at spurrier's house." And they all laughed... and then Dabo said "Yea, him and Kornblut" and they all laughed even harder.

hilarious

Oh... well darn. He still got a shot in at him.

Jul 21, 2011, 11:34 AM

I thought the guy who answered sounded like Kornblutt though.

sweet. More old cliched sports slogans. Next stop,

Jul 20, 2011, 3:07 PM

some original t-shirts for the players with "Just Do It" on them.

Clemson's biggest opponent is itself.***

Jul 20, 2011, 3:08 PM

Re: sweet. More old cliched sports slogans. Next stop,

Jul 20, 2011, 7:52 PM [ in reply to sweet. More old cliched sports slogans. Next stop, ]

Obed: i would like to meet you; i don't post/reply much but get irritated reading a lot of the post on here .... you however, just make me laugh. another great post and point for you!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

gracias, kind sir, gracias.***

Jul 22, 2011, 11:20 AM

well at least he's even now...

Jul 20, 2011, 3:20 PM

people stole his stupid 'all in' phrase and now he's stealing Spurrier's stupid 'Why not us' line.
:-/

Re: well at least he's even now...

Jul 20, 2011, 3:29 PM

You are just an angry ole dude arn't you

As to my being old...

Jul 20, 2011, 3:31 PM

for an apricot, yes. For a head of lettuce, even more so. For a mountain, I have not even begun. For a man, just right.

Re: As to my being old...

Jul 20, 2011, 3:38 PM

You sure are an angry young dude LOL Ole is not old

Best reply ever...! ***

Jul 20, 2011, 7:10 PM [ in reply to As to my being old... ]

nm

Why not us? 1) TDP hired Dabo instead of a good coach

Jul 20, 2011, 4:52 PM

2) Because Clemson blew its opportunity to capitalize on FSU's and Miami's down years by replacing Bowden with a great coach, and now FSU is back, and neighboring schools like SCar & UNC have momentum.

3) The defense lost a lot of great personnel.

4) Boyd is a freshman.

Why us?

1) Hopefully Morris can put together a good offense. (It's gotta be better than the Dabo/Napier hybrid offense.)

2) Hopefully Steele can work magic with the personnel that he has.

3) Hopefully the new assistants will do a better job of position-coaching than their predecessors.

4) Hopefully Dabo learned not to interfere and will let Morris and Steele make the decisions.

Go Tigers!
14-0.

Tajh Boyd is a Redshirt **Sophmore**

Jul 20, 2011, 6:13 PM

This is going to be his third season at Clemson.. Yes it will be his first starting, but its not like he is straight out of high school...

Not to mention he is in the perfect offense for a first year QB.. Morris is preaching Simplicity in his scheme and a lot of running

Oops! Of course I meant first year starter.***

Jul 20, 2011, 11:06 PM

I'll be surprised

Jul 20, 2011, 6:15 PM

if Dabo gets 7 wins this year!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I'd suggest...

Jul 20, 2011, 8:47 PM

focusing on the last thing he said in the the article: "We have everything we need at Clemson to win."

Now I know he's said things similar to this before (i.e. the "oil change" comment), but we were spinning our wheels offensively with Napier and Dabo (a HEAD COACH signaling plays is embarassing and downright tacky imo). With a true offensive coach and defensive coach focusing on the x's and o's, Dabo is now free to manage the game and prove his mettle as a HC.

Go Tigers!
14-0 (cuz i say so)

The best talent weve ever recruited @ CU Loves Dabo & I

Jul 20, 2011, 8:59 PM

can see that he's putting all the right pieces into place, so i'm gonna give him a few years, because I know we're about to break this game wide open.

This year or 3 years from now?

Jul 20, 2011, 10:11 PM

Dabo is saying this year. You are saying 3 years from now. No faith in his claims?

Jul 20, 2011, 10:22 PM

"Why Not Us"???

That is South Carolina and Steve Spurrier's saying...

Why can't y'all be original for once in your lives???

:)

Jul 20, 2011, 11:13 PM

Im willing to give dabo a couple years with the talent he is bringing in lets see what hes really made of and last year i think a lot of yall are to hard on ole dabo there was a lot of things he couldnt help (kicking was terrible, arrogant QB, drop passes, and so on). When he did have talent he took us to a ACC championship in his 1st full season come on. The only way I would fire Dabo is if we could get a big name coach with a lot of credentials but thats not going to happen so I say everyone try to be optimistic and not beat up on ole Dabo so much...

GO TIGERS!!!!

Jul 21, 2011, 8:43 AM

uhhh ... punctuation please.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2011, 12:10 PM

Two questions for all you guys that want a "Name Coach".
1. What makes you think a name coach would want to come to Clemson to coach in the ACC?
2.What makes you think Barker and the BOT would risk being known as a "football school" instead of their goals(whatever they are)and put out the $$$ to hire one? And when you answer this, think about question #1.

If you like or hate Dabo, it doesn't matter.. I'd like to hear some real answers to these questions, because based on question # 2 we might as well keep what we got 'cause its gonna be more of the same.

Jul 21, 2011, 1:19 PM

TonyBenson asked: 1. What makes you think a name coach would want to come to Clemson to coach in the ACC?
Answer:
* UNC's former national championship & 3-time Big East championship coach Butch Davis.
* Miami's former MAC championship coach Al Golden.
* UMD's former Big-East championship coach Randy Edsall.
* Duke's former SEC-West championship coach David Cutcliffe.
* Et al.

What makes you think that Clemson couldn't have hired somebody with more proven abilities than a mediocre WR coach, like Dabo? Has any other FBS school done such a thing in the last 20 years?

TonyBenson asked: 2.What makes you think Barker and the BOT would risk being known as a "football school" instead of their goals(whatever they are)and put out the $$$ to hire one? And when you answer this, think about question #1.
Answer: A good football team generates a lot of revenue. A great football coach (like Saban) pays for himself. By your logic, if Dabo does well, then Clemson would fire him. And by your logic, Clemson would have never given Tommy Bowden big bucks, and a $4.5M buyout. And by your logic, Clemson would have never fired Tommy Bowden and paid the $4.5M buyout.

Your position is completely illogical and contradicted by the facts.

Who did he hire to fix the kicking problem?

Jul 21, 2011, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: Why not us? ]

I am all for blaming the entire season on Catman IF Dabo is going to follow through and make a change. I am not confident our kicking will improve using the classic Clemson approach of "give it time."

Clemson didn't lose any games due to missed field goals.

Jul 22, 2011, 2:21 PM

First of all, no team makes 100% of their field goals. But I think if you look at the 2010 season, not one game was lost by Clemson due to a missed field goal. There were a few games where we might have forced overtime if we hadn't missed a field goal. But that's not a gurantee of a win. And that assumes that the other team would have behaved the same way if the score had been tied or they had been behind. For example, in 2010 on FSU's final drive, they arguably played-it-safe for a game-winning field goal rather than trying to mount a riskier TD drive. If they had been down by 3 points, they would have gone for a TD.

I didn't come to that conclusion, Dabo did!

Jul 24, 2011, 12:23 AM

That's the scary part. You can try to convince Dabo all you want, but at the end of the year he came to the conclusion that our kicking game was a liability last season. What bothers me is not his evaluation of the season, but that he didn't make a change to address the problem that he vocalized.

BTW, love how you opened with "no team makes 100% of their field goals." Fits perfectly with your conclusion that we would have had the same record with Virginia Tech's kicker.

Jul 21, 2011, 12:19 PM

lol "who knows how good we will be?" dunno...maybe you coach?

so losing embarrasingly to scum and gt in the championship game...going to a crappy bowl...having a crappy record...that is the penthouse?!? maybe at a best western

stooge

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe you should change your name to Angry_Tiger***

Jul 21, 2011, 12:44 PM

or "doesn't blow smoke like dabo" tiger

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2011, 5:21 PM

Buckle your chinstraps lads and get ready for an unbelievable season. We have the talent,the coaches and the fans to make this coming season one of the very best that Tiger fans have ever seen. Get ready for new names and faces to appear on the scene. It has all come together in 2011.Dabo will be considered one of the best coaches in the USA at the conclusion of 2011,but don't expect to do it with the old guys. It's going to be the incoming Freshmen who lead this team to spectacular results. Store this e-mail and take a look at it in December. You will think I'm a genius!

Jul 22, 2011, 12:25 AM

Although, there are a few on this site that need a new TIGER bumper sticker...

"SIT DOWN, SHUT UP, and HANG ON"

in ORANGE letters, of course...

:)

Jul 24, 2011, 7:40 AM

So he has everything he needs to win big this season or that is what he is saying. And he knows he needs to take a big step forward this year.

Should be a fun year!

Another #### ignored, I love this new feature!

Jul 24, 2011, 11:31 AM

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic