Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With all due respect, why do so many of you care what ESPN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

With all due respect, why do so many of you care what ESPN

Nov 9, 2015, 7:01 PM

or other news/sports channels think or say about our team or our players?

I understood it (to some degree) when we were ranked 10th or whatever.

But for the love of Frank Howard, we are ranked #1. Maybe we will fall to #2 or #3 before it is all over.

But as long as we win we are in the Top 4 and will get a chance to prove anyone and everyone wrong about their "negative" perception of us.

We have too many "worry warts" in our fan base.

Rant Over.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With all due respect, why do so many of you care what ESPN

Nov 9, 2015, 7:12 PM

Mr Rhymer..... You sir are wrong . We are fans and complaining is what we do best. Many of us work long and hard at it. Some of us are clearly better at it than others. I just worried while ago whether I should have ranch or thousand island. And I'm still torn on the matter.

But if we fall to number two I'm gonna pop a vessel. Lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prepare to pop a vessel then. Not tomorrow, but before

Nov 9, 2015, 7:52 PM

the end of the regular season we will be #2 or #3.

Nov 10, 2015, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: With all due respect, why do so many of you care what ESPN ]

Ranch and Thousand Island are very good mixed together. Tones that ketchupy taste down considerably. Very good you should try.

I think it has something to do with them talking about...

Nov 9, 2015, 7:13 PM

Clemson all during the off season. They made DW into a china doll, said our defense would suffer tremendously and convinced all the AP voters that we wouldn't have a defense this season. I wasn't real fond of them convincing the voters that the ACC didn't deserve a seed in the playoffs this year either.

It probably has nothing to do with them pushing 10 SEC team into the top 25. That inflating their SOS so far that they could play OCC creampuffs then boast about having a great SOS because they played so many top 25 teams. I guess with the absence of all those ACC teams somebody had to step up, right?

But then, I'm sensitive when all the news is agenda driven, especially when it's sports, something that has nothing to do with politics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beauty of sports is that it does not matter what "agenda"

Nov 9, 2015, 7:30 PM

people may have....or what preseason rank you have. You can change opinions on the field...which is exactly what we have done.

If we were ranked #6 now....I would see the reason to belly ache.

but we are #1. We are belly aching about a lack of respect....you can't get ranked any higher (and by extension get more respect) than #1.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beauty of sports is that it does not matter what "agenda"

Nov 9, 2015, 7:35 PM

Mr Rhymer.... I have a ton of respect for u sir. I'm a fan. But let me explain. I realize we are number one and can't be ranked any higher. And yes this, in itself, is respect. But we are Clemson nation and we want to dominate the sports world in such a way that it transcends reality. All we really want is for every media outlet and every living human being to admit we are the best and then we shall relax. As you can see, we are quite reasonable. And we want an apology from mark May too:)

G*T*F*O

Nov 9, 2015, 7:46 PM

Cocklover

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

What you all fail to understand is the constant disrespect

Nov 9, 2015, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Beauty of sports is that it does not matter what "agenda" ]

just creates a longer road for Clemson to climb the mountain. Recruit opinions & beliefs are adversely affected. Pollsters are affected. The psyche of the weak in positions of power at Clemson are affected.

It slows the progress of Clemson's prominence and it pisses us die hard Clenson loyalists off big time!

Now with all that said...

IT MAKES CLEMSON NATION STRONGER! We are building an enduring legacy! Their hate, dislike, or ambivalence fuels our strength!

GO TIGERS, ????

Embrace the hate! ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, Scott.

Nov 9, 2015, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Beauty of sports is that it does not matter what "agenda" ]

The following link may take more than one sitting to wake through but the links it provide and information along with some reasonable opinions have value. I know there's a lot of venom there, a lot of nasty words and some useless cheap shots but the essence of their message is true and honest.

https://secexposed.wordpress.com/

I'd appreciate a Tmail to let me know what you think of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2015, 7:32 PM

I only care if it negatively impacts recruits impressions of us. otherwise I neither listen nor care. I am down to games only with them. No experts, GameDay, or other stupid blather

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2015, 7:33 PM

Agree the best way to ultimately shut them up is to win it all. That ends it all.

Nov 10, 2015, 12:03 AM

I do not listen during actual games! Mark May and Louser Holtz made half time a joke so other than online video I could care less. ESPIN lost all my respect a long time ago and even if they create an ACC channel I am uncertain how much I'll watch.

Go Tigers!

Nov 9, 2015, 7:34 PM

The insults and disrespect that the media throws out at the 18-22 year old student athletes at Clemson, I hope everyone takes offense to that. I sent an email to the idiot from Florida, who felt it was responsible journalism to make Dabo explain to him "why we might have to beat FSU to put an end to the use of the'c' word and if we didn't beat them, then it was right to keep using it" I didn't use cuss words, but I did refer to him and the media in general as small minded idiots who take diggs at 18-22 year olds at Clemson to feel big. I told him that it shouldn't be done at all, but if they like to feel big, then there are lots of other teams that deserve their abuse.
He actually replied, started off by thanking me for the email, but went on to say that he was being respectful and that if I didn't like it-too bad. He then told me not to reply back, because he wouldn't read it. Dabo let the idiot ask a second question after he insulted him with the idiotic question to start with. I guess Dabo is actually a man where this guy just serves it up and isn't man enough to take it.

Amen.***

Nov 9, 2015, 7:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Nov 9, 2015, 7:36 PM

I agree play the role of the underdog. It fits us much better.

Scott, I've been at it 51 seasons since my freshman year. I

Nov 9, 2015, 7:49 PM

don't really care what any of those self-styled junkalists say.

It's a game they play called "King of the Mountain." Problem is it actually has little to do with sports and has everything to do with stroking their own egos. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:51 seasons since my freshman year.Was Fred Cone

Nov 9, 2015, 7:57 PM

as good as they say?? Just Kidding

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For 40 years, some just don't understand that it...

Nov 9, 2015, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Scott, I've been at it 51 seasons since my freshman year. I ]

just creates a longer road for Clemson to climb the mountain. Recruit opinions & beliefs are adversely affected. Pollsters are affected. The psyche of the weak in positions of power at Clemson are affected.

It slows the progress of Clemson's prominence and it pisses us die hard Clenson loyalists off big time!

Now with all that said...

IT MAKES CLEMSON NATION STRONGER! We are building an enduring legacy! Their hate, dislike, or ambivalence fuels our strength!

GO TIGERS, ????

Embrace the hate! ??

I think we just got tired of the 'agenda'

Nov 9, 2015, 8:15 PM

First and foremost I think we just love football that much. You could lock a few of us Clemson diehards in a room and we'd easily pass the hours along talking about the past, present, and future. Everybody's got a good Danny Ford or Frank Howard story, am I right? However, we'd also likely take a few jabs at our not-so-favorite media pundits or ESPN. Just as we believe they do to us.

I don't know but I'm not certain that it mattered much until this ESPN monster surfaced. Around that time, we began to see this influx of pro-SEC agenda and really started having ESPN cram it down our throats. Other outlets seemed to buy into it as well. Simply put for years we got tired of hearing how a losing SEC team "didn't want to be there," while the team who rightfully defeated them would get zero credit. Perhaps it is why some of us have little faith in the new system and believe that the 'mothership' could influence the committee.

Around 2005 or so, teams were no longer an institution but rather part of a conference. There quickly became a few fatal flaws with this. Whereas one team would be allowed to have an identity, say Alabama, others could also ride their coattails of success; say a Carolina by virtue of conference association. National titles were no longer seen by some as an institutions accomplishment but rather victory for those affiliated. This was when trying to watch an ESPN football game became nearly dreadful for all those not in the SEC. It further dampened our faith in the media in general too as it appeared they all bought into it as well.

Long story short (too late!) some have listened to the media poorly portray the overall nationwide landscape of college football while they appear to focus intently on one conference. What some would call 'the agenda.' But as momma would say, "You can't please everybody." ;)

Because they are all convinced that ESPN has a secret

Nov 9, 2015, 8:30 PM

evil, anti-Clemson agenda.

GO TIGERS

it is fairly obvious they do..... ??***

Nov 9, 2015, 8:35 PM

Not all of us that hate ESPiN...

Nov 9, 2015, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Because they are all convinced that ESPN has a secret ]

think they are out to get Clemson. In particular, I do not. I believe they have money invested in the SEC Network due to shared ownership and must protect their brand. I also believe that the SEC Network is/was one of the roots of their financial problems.

I also believe they are fully aware that the southeast is the center of NCAA football. The majority of football fans in the southeast are SEC fans.

I've provided two pieces of information which supports my believe that they favor the SEC. A blind monkey knows how they've favored the SEC for the past decade and a half. If you have trouble finding the evidence check ESPiN's preseason polls from the past.

For further evidence find the original date of the new metrics FPI, Sagrian computer rankings, Strength of record and the many others and weigh their influence on the polls when they were released.

If the SEC falls off the map ESPiN comes out with a new metric and presents it as proof of SEC dominance. This season, and you heard the PO commissioner use it, is 'eye test.'

Oh no, they got to Scott.

Nov 9, 2015, 9:12 PM

Either that or he's a plant sent to infiltrate Tiger nation.
Keep your eyes peeled boys, they could be anywhere. They may even walk amongst us.

Nov 9, 2015, 9:19 PM

Nice try, aspiring ESPN columnist.

TNet

Nov 9, 2015, 9:20 PM

"ESPN offended me!!!"

Nov 9, 2015, 10:25 PM

I really do not care about ESPN. Seems the selection committee does not care too much about them either.

I would counter that the selection committee is...

Nov 9, 2015, 10:37 PM

influenced by ESPN. I doubt seriously that they watch every game or that they formulate their own strength of schedule or power rankings. As "the worldwide leader in sport", I am sure they use ESPN as a tool to configure their polls. Any propaganda that is spread would certainly affect members of the committee. Now whether this propaganda is deliberate or is just spread out of ignorance is not known. I am sure that many analysts are just regurgitating what they have been told or judging a conference or team based off of history that is no longer applicable. They just keep banging that same old drum because they don't know what else to do. I feel certain that despite their best efforts to be impartial that this could affect some committee members.

I also agree with what CT88 said above.

Message was edited by: 7spots®

Re: I would counter that the selection committee is...

Nov 9, 2015, 10:42 PM

It could if we were a one loss team trying to get in. We just need to worry about winning and winning will take care of getting us in the playoffs. Even on its worst years as a conference, the ACC will always be strong enough to put a undefeated team in the top 4. I truly believe that the top half of our conference is as strong as the top half of the SEC. We, ACC, are just a bit more bottom heavy than they are; albeit USUC is trying their hardest to make the SEC more bottom heavy.

I agree.

Nov 9, 2015, 10:45 PM

Win and we are in. ACC is as good at the top. I just hope that the committee doesn't start seeing it differently in years to come.

A better question for YOU is...

Nov 9, 2015, 11:04 PM

... With Clemson #1 why do you care what anonymous posters on an Internet forum think about eSECpn or any other news outlets?

Rant over......

p. s. See what I did there? ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might be the same reason Dabo is tired of hearing

Nov 9, 2015, 11:23 PM

a certain word used by writers/announcers. Disrespect.

"A loss isn't always a loss for everybody"

Nov 9, 2015, 11:50 PM

Brad Edwards said this on College Football Playoff:

The biggest challenge for the committee..."It's how they handle extenuating circumstances in a loss. A LOSS ISN'T ALWAYS A LOSS FOR EVERYBODY. Are they going to give Michigan credit because they should have won? Will they treat it as any other loss, or will they give them a little something back because of the way they lost? Notre Dame lost to Clemson in a monsoon by a two-point conversion."

I think we found out if your name is Alabama, a loss at home to a team that now has 2-3 losses is not really a loss. What will you think if they are #1 this week? It's not so much about Clemson, but about this entire attitude.

It's not just Clemson fans who are sick of it. Read what fans in other conferences outside of the SEC are saying.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic