Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I repeat and agree, "Why did we hire this one"?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I repeat and agree, "Why did we hire this one"?

Dec 27, 2012, 1:04 AM

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/12/21/3794092/clemson-hires-mike-reed-as-db-coach

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well when we play NC St he can help out with scouting.

Dec 27, 2012, 1:06 AM

And he's scouted the other ACC teams before as well. Other than that, IDK.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

He can give us the NC State defensive playbook for next

Dec 27, 2012, 1:10 AM

year and we still won't hang 62 on them like we did when he was on their sideline.

Only thing I can think is that they did something right

Dec 27, 2012, 7:19 AM

against a team we lost to. Oh and he's Brian Dawkins's doppelgänger.

Because someone much more qualified and knowledgable

Dec 27, 2012, 7:40 AM

than you did the research and made the choice. Just because you don't understand something (in your infinite wisdom) doesn't make it flawed.

Re: Because someone much more qualified and knowledgable

Dec 27, 2012, 9:07 AM

Only gave up 16 to FSU which was much better than our 49!

So qualified and knowledgeable people never make bad asst.

Dec 27, 2012, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Because someone much more qualified and knowledgable ]

coach hires? We'll see. You've never questioned the appointment or hiring of anyone as long as the person doing the hiring was more qualified than you?

people make mistakes all the time...

Dec 27, 2012, 10:52 AM

see your OP.

your defense of your post is "do people ever make mistakes"?

what a solid effort.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because someone much more qualified and knowledgable

Dec 27, 2012, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Because someone much more qualified and knowledgable ]

agreed 100%

Re: Tell them big man***

Dec 27, 2012, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Because someone much more qualified and knowledgable ]

they had a good defense with our game being an exception***

Dec 27, 2012, 8:51 AM

Re: they had a good defense with our game being an exception***

Dec 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

Why do you say that?

By every measure available, they were terrible. That FSU game was an outlier, much as their game against us, but all the rest were just bad.

In conference:
Passing D - they were 10th, we were 5th
Total D - they were 10th, we were 7th. They gave up 466 ypg.
Scoring D - they were 4th, we were 3rd. Before you get excited, they still gave up 29 ppg.
Nationally, they were 78th in Total D, we were 74th.

I'm sure you can pick out some stats, like Most Yardage After Interceptions Per Game, or some nonsense, and show how great they were, but in most defensive categories, they are not good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DC - I'm curious where do you get your stats? The ones

Dec 27, 2012, 10:32 AM

I look at are different. For example, I have Clemson's Pass D ranked 8th in the conference, not 5th.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DC - I'm curious where do you get your stats? The ones

Jan 2, 2013, 9:22 PM

Joey, I was using the ACC's numbers for conference stats, and the NCAA for national stats.

I went back to look, and you're right; I fat-fingered a 5 for us instead of 8. Thanks for keeping me straight.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2012-2013/confldrs.html

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1042/p2

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were 100th in the nation in pass defense and did

Dec 27, 2012, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: they had a good defense with our game being an exception*** ]

you see their games against UNC, Miami, Virginia?

If they had not played us, their defense ranking would

Dec 27, 2012, 10:15 AM [ in reply to they had a good defense with our game being an exception*** ]

have been:

Total Defense - 62nd in the country (with our game included they were 77th)

Pass Defense - 73rd in the country (with our game included they were 94th)

Ok then, well thanks for helping my case. Um, you do have

Dec 27, 2012, 10:51 AM

to count all the games and those numbers weren't great even without our game. In fact, the numbers without our game are bad.

I was just responding to cu81grad's conjecture that their D

Dec 27, 2012, 11:08 AM

was good - except when they played us. I just threw some numbers out there - I didn't draw any conclusions from it.

Re: I repeat and agree, "Why did we hire this one"?

Dec 27, 2012, 9:11 AM

Why would you use Shakin the Southland for any information? Go there if you want to read rants of a fan who is unhappy no matter what.

Everyone who posts articles on that site are giant crybabies. Pretty sure BLeacher Report gives better info than STS.

Dec 27, 2012, 9:44 AM

Now that is a good post, mcraft07!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2012, 9:41 AM

Clemson81to85, you must be a coot because your attitude sure is not representative of the Tiger Fans I know.

Take some time and read some of the articles appearing here and other sites and see what recruits, high school coaches and players he has coached, say about him. All very positive about Reed. Lastly, he was recruiting into a system run by a coach that got fired. Would you say that our recruiting has improved since Dabo took over as our HC? Let me help you with the answer - YES, it has, and it will continue to get better as we move back to our rightful position of Number 1 in the ACC.

Welcome, Coach Reed, and as you know, some people are not satisfied with anything!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WE didn't. The Clemson staff did. C'mon man

Dec 27, 2012, 10:03 AM

Give it a break. Let people that get paid for it make SOME of the decisions. Give them a little credit. Thanks.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Savior. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Why shouldn't we have hired him?

Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 AM

He is respected in coaching circles, he is known as a good recruiter, and he has meaningful playing experience. Most importantly, he was the top choice of both Dabo and Venables.

It's not fair to look at NC State's overall defense this year and conclude he is a bad hire. That's just ridiculous logic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic