Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Putting an end to the Great Dress Controversy of 2015
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Putting an end to the Great Dress Controversy of 2015

Feb 27, 2015, 1:36 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/origin-of-white-gold-or-black-blue-dress-2015-2

How in the world did this thing become such a phenomenon?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sirrius answer is sirrius

Feb 27, 2015, 1:39 PM

If it weren't for all the idiots in the world I would only be average.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Because people like you said things like this:

Feb 27, 2015, 1:39 PM

It's white and gold with a bluish shadow. Not really all that interesting, since this is something we see all the time. It's like people have never heard of shadows or light shading. The places where there's more shadow on the dress literally are bluer and blacker in the picture, but since it's a picture, that doesn't mean the dress is blue and black.

--camcgee®
http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16926866

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

And all of those people WERE ####### WRONG!

Feb 27, 2015, 2:04 PM

If cam was wrong about the dress, what else could he be wrong about?!? This puts into question everything he, and those who see like him, have ever said. Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone who said that was white and gold anymore.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm keeping track of "those people" on a list.***

Feb 27, 2015, 2:06 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've established he doesn't know what a deep cut is.

Feb 27, 2015, 2:57 PM [ in reply to And all of those people WERE ####### WRONG! ]

So there is that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bro Cam declared it white and gold

Feb 27, 2015, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Because people like you said things like this: ]

Wars over we lost. When Cam declares something, it's all over.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

War's over? Pretty sure the world is ending***

Feb 27, 2015, 2:24 PM

At least you know that now

Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Bro Cam declared it white and gold ]

Are you sure asking someone who actually saw the dress is enough evidence for you?

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who needs evidence

Feb 27, 2015, 4:01 PM

You made a statement. I have to accept it as fact, because you're Cam. That's how this game works, right?

I'm not sure you even know what the words you're saying mean

Feb 27, 2015, 4:08 PM

But I'm surprised you're taking the word of the Washington Post- that conservative rag. Yesterday, your standards were much higher.

Hey, I found some stuff from the WaPo as well

Feb 27, 2015, 4:15 PM

Turns out they still think there is a debate about what we are talking about (or at least they are still publishing articles about the Wage Gap) even though you declared it dead. You had best write a letter to the editor and set them straight. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Once again, I doubt you read the articles or what I said

Feb 27, 2015, 4:43 PM

Because that's not what was said. What I pointed out was that all but 3-8% of the pay gap could be accounted for by different choices that men and women make, and that the question we weren't really asking was whether we want an employment system that gives a greater value than we currently give to the "feminine" choices (those more likely to be made by women) that apparently account for nearly all of the pay gap. Such a system would have to give less value to productivity driven "masculine" choices (the ones that men have been most likely to make). That really shouldn't even be controversial, since I'm not coming down on either side of the issue, and since I'm relying on economic research and not my own opinion.

Would you say that slate.com is conservative? What about Hanna Rosin? Because she basically says the same things I did here: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/08/gender_pay_gap_the_familiar_line_that_women_make_77_cents_to_every_man_s.html

The thing is that nobody thinks the entire pay gap is due to discrimination, and the best analyses show that only a small amount the gap is even attributable to discrimination (among other things).

Even one of the pieces you posted in support of what you were trying to say (which has shifted from acting like it was ridiculous to say any of the pay gap was due to women's choices to arguing over how much of the gap is due to women's choices) more or less agrees with my main point:

"5. To close the pay gap, we should focus on deterring discrimination.

Passing laws that make it harder for workplaces to discriminate based on sex is important. But gender discrimination accounts for only 25 to 40 percent of the pay gap, depending on which labor economists you consult. And since discrimination is already illegal, the ways in which it persists are subtle and may be challenging to address directly through legislation.

What could make a big difference would be if workplaces reconsidered how they compensate their employees — and were more transparent about it. Rather than disproportionately rewarding workers for putting in long hours and making themselves available around the clock, they should reward high-quality work and allow employees more of the flexibility they need to balance work and family demands.

For example, when Google increased family leave from three months to five and made it fully paid, the company saw a 50 percent drop in the number of moms who quit. Several states and companies are also moving in the direction of offering paid family leave, recognizing that these kinds of family-friendly policies not only boost morale, productivity and loyalty, they also address the other factors that contribute to the pay gap."

Cam, you know, you really come off as being arogant

Feb 27, 2015, 5:32 PM

I'm pretty sure you enjoy talking down to people. However, I did read the articles, and I did read what you wrote. I know, I know, it's amazing that someone other than you can read and comprehend. Here is what you wrote.

"Analyses of the "pay gap" already tell us that a large part- perhaps nearly all- of the pay gap is due to differences in the choices that the average man or the average woman makes about their careers."

I don't agree with this statement. I provided links with other people who do not agree with this statement. When you say - perhaps nearly all - you're basically saying "all" you just try and give yourself a little wiggle room. It's a neat trick, but saying, "nearly all" and "all" is essentially the same thing.

Maybe if you weren't bent on being condescending you could take the time to read what I write instead of dismissing it because you don't agree with it.

And you come off as a complete a-hole

Feb 27, 2015, 5:55 PM

You need to go back and read what actually got this started. It wasn't me talking down to anybody, it was you completely ignoring what was being said in order to score some cheap shots; you telling me that I was just making stuff up; then you dismissing evidence that's cited widely; then you posting your own evidence that doesn't even disagree with me, because you'd apparently forgotten what was said to begin with. Now I know it's tigernet and all, but if you'd at least tried to understand what was being said (not implying that you can't, but that I don't think you want to) before you went on the attack, you'd see that nothing I'm saying is all that controversial. In fact, the most controversial thing I said is that the wage gap might reflect employers undervaluing womens' choices.

And I called my own self out for being wrong***

Feb 27, 2015, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Because people like you said things like this: ]

Not to change the subject, but sense you seem like you're

Feb 27, 2015, 1:40 PM

into hearing undiscovered acts, and like to go "off the beaten path" with your musical tastes, give this one a listen.

http://youtu.be/P-Q9D4dcYng

*since.***

Feb 27, 2015, 1:41 PM

umm, something weird is going on

Feb 27, 2015, 2:15 PM

I saw the picture earlier today and I swore up and down it was white and gold couldn't understand how it could even be "interpreted" as blue and black. I just saw the same exact picture and it looks blue and black without it even looking even close to white and gold... .. . . ### IS GOING ON WITH MY EYES!

You've caught the ghey.***

Feb 27, 2015, 2:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I saw the original photo I thought white and gold

Feb 27, 2015, 2:27 PM [ in reply to umm, something weird is going on ]

And I find it surprising that people could see black and blue, but when I see the picture without a background there is no doubt it's black and blue

A few good reviews btw...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Womens-Detail-Bodycon-Dress/dp/B00SJEUCWU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Re: When I saw the original photo I thought white and gold

Feb 27, 2015, 2:29 PM
image.jpg(243.9 K)

THIS LOOKS SHOPPED!***

Feb 27, 2015, 2:31 PM

Clearly white and gold***

Feb 27, 2015, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: When I saw the original photo I thought white and gold ]

There are a lot of things in this world that

Feb 27, 2015, 3:51 PM

I don't give a flying f**k at a rolling doughnut about, but this has to be in the top 5.

Yeah, but...

Feb 27, 2015, 4:01 PM

Is it one or five? We have to know.

5 to 1. 1 in 5.

Feb 27, 2015, 4:02 PM

No one here gets... out alive.

I still don't know why "Alex from Target" ever went viral

Feb 27, 2015, 6:04 PM

so I can't help you with your question.

(The dress thing is actually kind of a cool mindfreak illusion so that has to play into its popularity.)

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic