Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Surius kweshten... Before UNC game, folks on tnet were all kinds of worried
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Surius kweshten... Before UNC game, folks on tnet were all kinds of worried

Dec 9, 2015, 11:24 AM

about containing their offense and ultimately winning the game. UNC had played nobody. Their loss was to a bad Scar team.

We won by 8.

Now we have OK in the OB with their 2nd team All American QB and WR combo. They have arguably a better offense and a better defense. Their loss to texas, though not pretty, has to be a "better" loss than UNCs to the coots.

So, why does everyone now feel so confident about beating OK?

Disclaimer: I think we win. I think the rest helps our team significantly. I also don't care about team offense and defensive rankings. They are a decent indicator, but are not great when you have 128 teams and only 12 games.

I'll hang up and listen..
Oh, and go tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Because everyone on her is a homer with no ligit take***

Dec 9, 2015, 11:29 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Surius kweshten... Before UNC game, folks on tnet were all kinds of worried

Dec 9, 2015, 11:30 AM

I am not as confident as some on T-net. I would have rather played MSU or Bama first. I do not feel Ok. has played a defense as good as ours but I also know that if our D plays like it played Saturday night we will be in for a long night.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2015, 11:42 AM

Three weeks of rest for Clemson's defense is huge.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two reasons mostly

Dec 9, 2015, 11:31 AM

1. 40-6
2. With Cole Stoudt

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Hilarious.. but really, i felt like they fell apart last year similar

Dec 9, 2015, 11:33 AM

to the way we did in the OB with West Virginy.
Not convinced last year = this year

But tu all the same :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Also, Big XII ain't skrong***

Dec 9, 2015, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Two reasons mostly ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All the Way Tigers!***

Dec 9, 2015, 11:31 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

You mean beat the sooners?***

null

Oklahoma didn't play a defense all year, they won against back-up QB's in their "big finish" in conference play. If their defense couldn't stop Teaxs, they won't stop us. They are just a former elite blue blood program that is continually rammed down the throats of CFB fans every preseason.

Dec 9, 2015, 11:38 AM

Everyone is thinking about last year. We are facing a different team. One who is out to avenge last years loss and second, they are playing for a National Championship. This is going to be a hard, fought ball game. I hope Clemson wins and the rest does our defense some good. Am I confident Clemson will win, sort of, but I know a lot is at stake this year.
Sincerely,
Captain Obvious

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2015, 11:41 AM

26 days between point A and point B

Team really needed a break. Rested team...26 days to prepare...we can beat anyone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2015, 11:42 AM

1. 2-3 weeks of rest so the defense can heal
2. UNC's receivers impress me more than OU's do

Dec 9, 2015, 11:43 AM

I'll give you several reasons...

1. Oklahoma's defense is ranked #31. We have played 5 defenses better than the Sooners defense (#1 BC, #12 App State, #13 Louisville, #15 FSU, and #19 NC State). Our offense (ranked #12) will do just fine against the Sooners.

2. Oklahoma's offense is ranked #7. They have not played a defense better than Clemson's defense all year (Clemson is #7 ranked defense). Will be an interesting matchup with the #7 ranked offense going against the #7 ranked defense but I like our chances to win that matchup with a rested defense.

3. Oklahoma got to the playoff's largely based on their end of the season wins over Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma State. These are their three most impressive wins but it should be noted that in all three cases their opponents started/played backup quarterbacks. Not saying Oklahoma wouldn't have won these games anyway, but they were not facing the opposing teams first string playmakers in their 3 toughest games.

I don't think this game will be a cake walk but I do expect Clemson to win. The bottom line is that this game will boil down to turnovers and who plays the best defense. I believe Clemson has the better defense - especially after our guys have had the opportunity to rest and are playing with fresh legs again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

25 days rest and 15 targeted practices

Dec 9, 2015, 11:45 AM

last week we were worn out and being forced to chase thoroughbreds across the entire field. OU's offense is equal to UNCs but we should have fresh legs, a laser focus and no pesky things like classes and studying to get in the way.

The long delay could prove to be valuable to us. OU is red hot right now. They just named the score against a good OK St team. So 32 days off might disrupt their flow. But they've also proven that they can be slowed down if not stopped against good teams. I know with either TCU or Baylor that Mayfield was hurt in the 2nd half but they didn't exactly blow doors in either of those. And on the flip side, they've given up a lot of points against some really average teams. I haven't studied them enough to know if they gave them up in garbage time or if it was the result of turnovers/short fields/special teams (like us vs SC).

I'm not confident in a win, but I'm much more confident that we won't have a lapse against OU than I was against UNC. If we had to play them this week, I'd probably bet the farm against us. But given a month for us to rest and for them to cool off, I think I like our chances.

Ditto.***

Dec 9, 2015, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're a slightly better version of UNC

Dec 9, 2015, 12:14 PM

I think when we saw that our defense could contain UNC pretty well and that our offense just rolled right through them, it made us more confident. Plus, UNC has played better defenses than Oklahoma has.

I'm confident about beating anyone, just like I have all

Dec 9, 2015, 12:22 PM

year long.

There is nothing that you can say to get me worried about this game.

Go Tigers!

Neal.. I'm with you. I've also beem confident in this team all year. I

Dec 9, 2015, 12:34 PM

did find the dichotomy between the confidence ke el of the 2 games from tnet surprising though.

Message was edited by: soywaker®

null

Re: Neal.. I'm with you. I've also beem confident in this team all year. I

Dec 9, 2015, 12:40 PM

Look at my post below....helps explain it a bit...one team has played much better defenses than the other, and looked just as worldly doing it.

Dec 9, 2015, 12:24 PM

I would say in large part because of 1) the rest 2) our recent track record in getting prepared for post-season games against big teams and 3) the way the D performed against UNC for most of the game...if they can perform that way w/ BB and Lawson banged up (and maybe Mack...I'm not convinced he's been 100% in a game since he got hurt vs. Cuse) and after playing 10 straight weeks, several with the #1 target on our back, then I think after 25 days off they will be ready to go...as an underdog.

I think OU's defense is better than UNC's, but I'm not convinced they are better on offense and if they are...not that much better.

We gave up nearly 100 yards less to UNC than they averaged--they scored on a somewhat lucky/fluky play (48 yard TD pass back across field) and a couple of short fields...OU has played 7 defenses ranked 96 or worse, so they are a high powered offense, but their stats are inflated due to the D's they've faced.

You weren't worried on that last...

Dec 9, 2015, 12:25 PM

onside kick???
And I'm very concerned about this game...I think the winner of this game will win it all.
Go Tigers!!!

Dec 9, 2015, 12:26 PM

Here's one thing most aren't looking at between the two yet...

Total Defenses played FBS (not counting our own for UNC)...current rankings:

Bold = in top 50:
Oklahoma
#17, #46, #55, #59, #66, #95, #100, #107 (lost to), #108, #125, #126, #127 (0 FCS)
avg ranking of #85 with only 2 in the top 50

UNC
#19, #27, #32, #34, #39, #43, #47, #76, #81, #96 (+2 FCS)
avg ranking of #47, with 7 in the top 50

Clemson
#1, #12, #13, #15, #19, #38, #39, #43, #76, #96, #99 (+1 FCS)
avg ranking of #41, with 8 in the top 50

Note, they have played the top 3 in total offense, but two of those three were at the end of the year, when those tem's best QB's had gotten them to those rankings...and they faced neither of those QB's (Boykin didn't play for TCU, and Baylor was on their 3rd string QB). The other...has the #126 of 127 ranking in total defense. That's like us trying to brag about Boston College because they have the #1 D...they've proved that they are a top D (look at every other game they played and scores of the opponent, including ND and top 10 Fl State)...but without an O, they can't beat anyone.

Dec 9, 2015, 12:59 PM

To take it a step further....

If you throw in the offense ranking and come up with an average team ranking, for Clemson it is 56. For OU, it is 67.

Clemson has defeated 3 top CFB teams. OU has defeated 4 top 25 CFB ( this includes TN which is not in AP top 25).

And, they have 1 loss.

I still don't know why OU is getting all the love. We have played better teams and are undefeated.

I think it will be a nail biter of a game, but I think we can pull it off. Especially since our D is getting some much needed rest.

GO Tigers!

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic