Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beano Cook on mid-west conference expansion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,685

Beano Cook on mid-west conference expansion

May 22, 2012, 8:39 PM

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7959726

"... but for Clemson to leave it would be the dumbest move since Germany decided to invade Russia in World War II..."

*LOL* @ 10:52

Actually, he made some interesting points; also on how larger state schools spend money on athletics.

FSU / Clemson - @ 9:35 - 17:05

Playoff - @ 7:30

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beano Cook on mid-west conference expansion

May 22, 2012, 8:46 PM

Well of course ESPN is going to diss any one of the FB schools for leaving the ACC. If they do, the ESPN FB TV deal is not worth the paper it's written on. They'll be stuck with a TV deal no one will give a hoot about watching. You expect them to say, yeah, CU, FSU, VT, GT, etc. is a great move. We'd love to replace them with Rutgers, Louisville, Uconn., South Florida.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think if the number of teams change either way...

May 22, 2012, 8:48 PM

The contract can be negotiated.

Re: I think if the number of teams change either way...

May 22, 2012, 8:50 PM

I'm sure it can. But who do you think they'd rather have on their tv. Weak BIG East wannabes or the likes of FSU, CU, GT, VT, Md. etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DING DING DING

May 22, 2012, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Beano Cook on mid-west conference expansion ]

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

you said it right, ESPN has a business interest in the stabilization of the ACC. For any other reason why would Beano and/or ESPN care about Clemson moving to another conference? This is all about money and tv markets and ESPN doesn't want the college football landscape disrupting the Basketball ESPN/ACC marriage.

May 22, 2012, 8:51 PM

He made some interesting points? I must have missed those. He sounded like a dinosaur. For some reason he thinks this move makes more sense for FSU than Clemson. Why? He didn't state why as best I could tell from his semi-coherent babbling. "Money is not everything, it will be spent." that seemed to be his major point. I guess money means less in upstate SC than in the Florida panhandle- funny, I thought dollars were legal tender throughout the US. He is missing the real point. We cannot be shut out of major bowls and the CHANCE to compete for a national title.

The ACC is TOAST from a football standpoint. And Beano Cook is farting dust.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2012, 9:03 PM

To add to my Tirade....
Did you catch his vindictive part Re: Clemson? If he it was up to him he would ban all ACC schools from playing us in any sports. It's OK for FSU, but not for us. That was rich. I am really gonna miss the ACC refs and playing UNC and Duke. Like being in the ACC has really helped us from a Basketball standpoint. The last really good coach we had LEFT for Texas because he couldn't get a call from the ACC refs!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I think he was also talking about Big 10 contract & how

May 22, 2012, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Beano Cook on mid-west conference expansion ]

the really large state schools have too many sports-- like hockey-- meaning that money will be spread so thin to extra sports that most people don't really care as much about, not just football.

Unless I can see him I refuse to believe Beano Cook is alive***

May 22, 2012, 9:00 PM

Bless his heart!***

May 22, 2012, 9:16 PM

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I like 'ole Beano. He thought CU was"the most exciting thing

May 22, 2012, 9:30 PM

on tv" last fall.

And he did the famously long segment on Frank Howard when he was still alive.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,685
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic