Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball question - Kansas-Iowa State game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Basketball question - Kansas-Iowa State game

Jan 10, 2013, 12:35 AM

#6 Kansas was at home tonight where they have won 99 out of the last 100 games. Iowa State had a three point lead with 8.5 seconds to go. Kansas had the ball and has to go the length of the court. With 1.3 seconds to go, Kansas drains a three pointer to tie the game.

Question: Wouldn't have been smart for Iowa State to have fouled a Kansas player. Kansas would have two shots and Iowa State would get the ball back.

BTW: Kansas won big in OT

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An age old situation in baskeball, well at least since the

Jan 10, 2013, 12:40 AM

3 pt. line came into effect. I would foul and send them to the line, but that probably explains why Kansas is Kansas and Iowa St. is Iowa St.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I were ISU I would foul

Jan 10, 2013, 12:43 AM

pur your 5 best free throw shooters on the floor for the inbound, game over.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Basketball question - Kansas-Iowa State game

Jan 10, 2013, 8:44 AM

Some fellow old timers may remamber this. Rick Barnes used the fouling strategy against NC State one time. Mike Wood was the referee who was assigned to watch to make sure that the shooter did not cross the line. Well, the guy made the first shot. On the second shot, the NC State players on the lane grabbed the Clemson players as well as they could to prevent them from entering the lane. The shooter launched the shot and immediately took off towards the basket. As the ball came off the front rim, the shooter caught it and laid in back over the rim. He was all the way to the basket before anyone else even entered the lane. Of course, Mike Wood made no call for the shooter crossing the line before the ball hit the rim, and the referees on the lane did not call anything on the obvious holds. NC State ended up winning in OT. After that, Barnes stated that he had changed his mind about fouling in that situation because you could not count on the referees to do their job on the free throw.

I still think that I prefer to foul instead of letting them shoot a three but here is a very valid reason that some coaches do not do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic