Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball can definitely get to 19-12
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Basketball can definitely get to 19-12

Jan 29, 2019, 8:22 AM

If our rpi is 55th now, and we finish 8-4 I don’t see how we get left out. Hopefully we can win 3 in a row and get a great atmosphere for VT in a couple weeks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball can definitely get to 19-12

Jan 29, 2019, 9:07 AM

Obviously, you do not subscribe to the Dabo Swinney School of One Game at a time.
Before you can get to 19, you got to get to 12.
Oh, and I have seen schools with 19 wins get left out.

id love it to happen, but watching this team so far

Jan 29, 2019, 9:42 AM

this season I just dont see us making it. Id love to be wrong. I think we have several issues going on from leadership problems to fundamentals/mental errors/unforced turnovers to lack of a pure shooter. I thought this team would be so much better only losing Gabe from sweet 16 run, but maybe this is showing intangibles that Gabe and Grantham provided from just a leadership standpoint. Reed and Mitchell are very good individual players, but I really dont see anyone stepping up from a leadership standpoint to be that calming force on the court. Also, we sorely lack that kickout shooter that can make teams pay on a consistent basis. Our 3 point shooting is very spotty and inconsistent. I by no means am calling on a coaching change or anything like that but just stating the deficiencies I have noticed this year with this team.

also, I will add that our ACC schedule thus far

Jan 29, 2019, 9:45 AM

has been very difficult, so maybe its not as bad as it seems. As poster stated, we do have some winnable upcoming games that might make or break our season.

It's not nearly as bad as it seems.

Jan 29, 2019, 12:14 PM

By reading many of the posts here, you would think that we are awful and have no chance of winning more than a game or two the rest of the way.

As you stated, our ACC schedule thus far has been absolutely brutal. We definitely have some winnable games coming up, but we will definitely need to have the right mindset in order to win. I'm concerned about the losses we've had thus far affecting our team's mental approach.

We need to fix (or at least improve) our three point shooting, as well as our three point defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 29, 2019, 9:44 AM

I could see that as well. Let's hope.

Maybe...but we need a significant win....

Jan 29, 2019, 9:57 AM

We can get wins over Pitt (x2), GT, Wake, BC, ND, Miami and perhaps Syracuse and that gets us 8 wins, but that will not get us into the tournament. A RPI of 55 does not mean we are in...and it won’t move much if we just beat the teams above. And 9-9 in ACC is no guarantee.
I think we need 9...and need to beat one of the ranked teams to get a significant win. VT, UNC, FSU or @ Louisville. This would get us to 20 wins and 10-8 in ACC.
I believe we’ll win a bunch of home games when Swofford finally lets us play there, starting with tonight.
But we’ve got to win on the road at some point.
Easier said than done. GT will give us fits at their place next week. Even if we win the 2 home games this week...I’m not exactly confident until we can either win a road game or beat someone ranked above us.

Jan 29, 2019, 10:30 AM

It will not be easy but certainly looks doable. We have to beat the teams we are expected to beat tho. We need to go 2-2 atleast against FSU, UNC, Cuse, and VT.

Not likely to happen this year.

Jan 29, 2019, 10:43 AM

First of all the tourney committee will be relying more on the NCAA Net rankings than RPI.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

We are ranked 59 in this metric. Given the automatic qualifiers, you'll have to be in the upper 40's to be considered baring some odd scenarios like injuries or a lot of quality wins.

Speaking of quality wins, that's our other problem. We have yet to beat a team that would get an at-large bid in the tournament. Lipscomb with a NET ranking of 40 is our best win.

While the schedule gets easier, that's really not a great thing. We can't just beat the low hanging fruit and rack up mediocre wins. We'll have to beat some good teams to have a shot and there are only 4 potential quality wins on our remaining schedule.

If the 8 wins come against Pitt (2), Wake, GT, ND, BC, Miami, and Sryacuse that's not going to help one bit as all of those teams have a NET rating below 48. Only Cuse would be a bubble team out of that group.

I think you have to get 2 of the games vs L'ville, UNC, Va Tech, and FSU. Those are the only 4 solid tourney teams left on the schedule. Plus you can't take any bad losses. I really think you need 9-3 with 2 wins against the 4 best opponents.

The NCSU game on the road would have been huge to help our chances.

This year's team was simply overhyped

Jan 29, 2019, 10:44 AM

based on our run to the Sweet 16 last year. But if you look at last year's team, the best player was Donte Grantham, and we did most of our damage last year with Grantham in the lineup. When he got injured, we were 16-3 and 5-2 in the conference.

Following that game, we went 7-6 leading up to the ACC Tournament, including 1-6 against teams that finished with a winning record in ACC play.

Still, we got a favorable seed in the NCAA Tournament, and got really hot while we were there. Gabe Devoe (who also graduated) in particular played incredibly well during the Tourney. Really though, all we did in the Tournament was beat a 12-seed, play one incredible game against Auburn. Against Kansas, we fell behind by 20 before we made it close at the end.

This year's team has a good, experienced starting lineup on paper, but Reed's been hurt, Mitchell has been somewhat underwhelming, Thomas is in foul trouble half of the time, and Simms and Skara are inconsistent. The bench production is almost nonexistent outside of Clyde Trapp's 6 ppg. Our only backup big that gets minutes, Javan White, is averaging 1.7 points and 1.0 rebounds per game in conference play. Newman looks like he could potentially be good, but I'm not sure he's much of a shooter yet.

As mediocre as this team has been, next year's team is going to be even worse with Trapp, Simms, and Newman being our best players. I don't even know who the other starters will be? Tyson and White or Jemison? Maybe Jonathan Baehre, who averaged 7.4 ppg at UNC Asheville? Or some of the FR (Al-Amir Dawes actually appears to be a decent prospect)?

Overall, I just don't think we did nearly enough to capitalize on the great run we went on last season. Our window was open for a brief moment, but all of the excitement from this program is now gone, and we're back to being near the bottom of the conference. I'm also not convinced Clemson can't become a bigger player in basketball. People always say that Clemson is a football school, but guess what winning national titles does for your overall school's image? It improves it. Clemson has never been seen as a more appealing place for any student to come, and that includes basketball players. Say what you want about Purnell, but he was recruiting at a much, much higher level than Brownell. Dawes is our highest recruit since 2011, and Purnell was averaging around 1.3 signees per year at Dawes's level. I'm not saying I want Purnell back because I don't, but I just don't believe the narrative that it's impossible to recruit good players to Clemson.

Re: This year's team was simply overhyped

Jan 29, 2019, 2:22 PM

I didn't realize Grantham had played in 19 games. Would've only guessed about 10. Devoe really stepped up and began hitting shots he wasn't draining his first three years as well as becoming a better all around player. Next year's team will have an extreme lack of experience since CBB is only playing seven to any extent and this likely won't change as he tries to make this season a reasonable success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Spot on in regards to last year’s team....

Jan 29, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to This year's team was simply overhyped ]

People seem to forget how Dante led that team for most of the season. He was the most improved player of all time.
My expectation coming into the season was to simply get back to the tourney somehow. Not sure what people were thinking with ranking us pre-season and fans talking about getting a high seed.
The NCAA bid is still on the table...but will take quite an effort. Need to get some wins and gain some confidence.

Spot on in regards to last year’s team....

Jan 29, 2019, 2:29 PM [ in reply to This year's team was simply overhyped ]

People seem to forget how Dante led that team for most of the season. He was the most improved player of all time.
My expectation coming into the season was to simply get back to the tourney somehow. Not sure what people were thinking with ranking us pre-season and fans talking about getting a high seed.
The NCAA bid is still on the table...but will take quite an effort. Need to get some wins and gain some confidence.

Heck, they have the talent to win out !

Jan 29, 2019, 11:41 AM

They could end up with 24 wins and definatly be in. However, they show absolutely no desire to do so. Look at the rest of the schedule, the hardest part is over. Chance to pick up some signature wins coming up also ... UNC, VaTech, Syracuse ... they have to get motivated. You beg, you plead, you try to be a nice guy ... and what do you get ? A bunch of lollygaggers.

My boycott continues until they stop being an embarrasment. Want to catch up on Victoria anyway. It’s a good show and it’s classy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely. Finishing 19-12 (9-9) gets us in.

Jan 29, 2019, 12:12 PM

Our RPI would be strong, and we would be hot at the right time. We would have several good wins, and no bad losses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Not so sure***

Jan 29, 2019, 2:17 PM

Not so sure....

Jan 29, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Absolutely. Finishing 19-12 (9-9) gets us in. ]

See my post above. We can get to that record and not have beaten good teams.
We have to beat one of the ranked teams...maybe two of them....considering we have a few of those at home, we can probably get it done. FSU, VT and UNC are good teams, but I don’t think they are on the level of Duke or UVA this year.
But if we think 19-12 (9-9) with no victories over ranked teams gets us in, we will likely be disappointed....I wouldn’t put us in with that sort of resume.

Jan 29, 2019, 12:19 PM

RPI does not factor into the equation anymore. Plus RPI is determined not just on this season, but several. They still have to get by Pitt tonight. We have no depth and teams wear us down. Some people need to see reality for this season and realize until we make a change we are going no where. Call addition by subtraction

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic