Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Player turnover!!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,472

Basketball Player turnover!!!!

Jan 29, 2018, 5:18 PM

I follow Brownell and the basketball team very much. I back them by attending games and can definitely feel a new energy around our basketball program, but nobody is giving Brad credit for another area he has faced. Player turnover. Since Brad signed immediately we lost recruits from Purnell, as well as had transfers. Since that first year, Brad hasn't had it easy keeping a polished group together for a tenure. It seems year after year we have a key transfer leave the program because he was upset about playing time. Jambo is one player we were hoping would come back as a starter. Instead he transfers again to his 3rd program leaving us short a key bigman. Same thing happened last year with the 7ft kid transferring in the off-season. Luckly we have tapped the transfer market well, but its not easy trying to replace a bigman who u were going to rely on. It's forced Brad the last 2 years to go to a guard oriented set and protect the bigman instead of turning them loose. After watching the Gtech game I saw Malik William(pf) and Amir Simms (pf/SF) make huge progress. If Clemson is to erase the weakness of limited down low play in the blocks, I believe the maturation of those 2 freshman will be key down this stretch. Any thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I give Brownell all the encouragement he needs

Jan 29, 2018, 6:03 PM

but this turnover that you speak of are the players that he personally recruited except for those defections that first year. by the way, that first year was his best year of the program until this year... which hopefully, it means that he has turned a corner and is headed in a more consistent direction. however, his original starting lineup this year consisted of only one of his own recruits, all others were transfers. he has a good group of young talent on the bench, but they don't learn and progress on the bench, so, how does he win now and prepare the bench players for their roles next year?

my biggest concern is that Brownell does not recruit at a high enough level to compete regularly for positions 3-6 in conference play... it is going to take talent either to directly compete against the unmentionables, the talent to run a decent half court offense that can be a threat inside or out, or the talent that can run a system that creates matchup nightmares through motions and ball screens that open up the mid range game and points in the paint. those same players also have to be competent enough defensively to get stops and not force the offense to trade points...

Williamson aside, there has been viable talent available to us that Brownell missed on for a variety of reasons. player transfers could be a buggaboo, but, some of those transfers should have been passed over for better available talent anyway, but in the scheme of things, we ended up settling for them and they turned out to not be ACC quality. without bonafide stars, college teams have to be able to rotate 8 players without drop off and up to 10 to give quality spot minutes; this gives you a quality 40 minutes of game play, fresh legs, high energy for the whole game defensively and a psychological ploy that the other team's star is going to have to work his absolute hardest to meet his averages... keep the star below his averages and you pull your opponent back into your wheelhouse to have a punchers chance to get the win...

Message was edited by: Knuck®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aren't Devoe & Grantham both recruits that came in as frosh?***

Jan 29, 2018, 10:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes*****

Jan 29, 2018, 10:17 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed on Simms and Williams.

Jan 29, 2018, 6:05 PM

I liked the way both defended down low last night.

If Simms can get his offense going - especially improve his shooting - they may be able to pick up some of what we lost due to Grantham’s injury.

I’m hopeful!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Basketball Player turnover!!!!

Jan 29, 2018, 7:37 PM

I think almost all players who transferred out of the program did so for playing-time reasons. And we had one player (KJ) go to NBA early?

In other words, new players recruited were clearly going to be getting PT over existing end-of-the-bench or "project" players.

In one way, this is a good problem to have in that it means your talent is getting better and better, i.e. recruiting and encouraging transfers into the program is doing better year-over-year. Also had two players, Blossomgame and Granthm who stayed for their senior year instead of leaving early for NBA.

It is discouraging to see a kid you liked to see coming off the bench or that you had high hopes for leave the program before realizing their potential as Tigers.

But as long as we have a full complement of players who want to play and are better than those who left, I'm satisfied.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This will always be a problem with Brownell

Jan 30, 2018, 6:16 AM

Besides the fact he has had trouble recruiting from hs, his system is so hard defensively, it takes a year for a new person it seems to learn it. Hence why we seem people leave. That or talent that can score but can't defend, never see the court. How many pure freshman seen starting playing time? I'm sure there's been a few bit I can't think of any.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,472
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic