Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball - post Booker and Jennings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,597

Basketball - post Booker and Jennings

Mar 6, 2013, 1:09 PM

I know we all need to support our team - I will do my part - but the stats are not in favor of next year being better.
We average 62 points per game this year. Challenged at best. Booker and Jennings - approx 40% of that.
We averaged 33.8 rebounds per game. Booker and Jennings - 43%.
We had field goal percentage of 42.5%. Booker 54.7% (tells you how the rest struggled)
Now - let's look at what next year looks like.
Field goal percentage other than Booker and Jennings - 39%.
Likely replacement for Booker. Nnoko.
Likely replacement for Jennings. Sullivan,
Combined - 2.9% of points and 7.9% of rebounds.
Yes, they played less minutes - but if you project starter minutes - you don't fill the loss of B&J.
We may have the best defense in the NCAA next year - but you still need to score to win.

As I watched the game last night - I grew to hate that freshman guard for BC. At the same time - it was refreshing to see a young player have great moves and score or get fouled (not to mention - he made his free throws).

So what is the point of all this? Where are we going to get points next year? KJ will do his part. Where else?

I hear the talk about Clemson not being a basketball school. Maybe this is true. But that does not mean we can't be competitive - a tough team to beat - a team that good teams have to give some respect to or we will sneak up on them. Maybe I have my sights too low - but I simply want a chance to win. I went to Clemson from 1977-1981. We did not win the ACC regular season or ACC tourney those years - but we had fun teams to watch and won our share at home. (I was at the game when Duke came in #1 and we took care of business.)

I don't have the answers, not a good coach or recruiter. I am a proud Tiger who wants to go to a game, turn on the TV, check the internet - to see how we fare against anyone. It would be nice to feel like we could - on the right night - beat anyone. My dream anyway.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you're forgetting Coleman and Blossomgame

Mar 6, 2013, 1:12 PM

those guys should score some points. But that still doesn't tell us anything about who will fill in down low.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with them and our freshman I just don't see us

Mar 6, 2013, 1:20 PM

getting any better than this yr. Maybe I'm wrong but i dont see it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree....

Mar 6, 2013, 1:34 PM

We will put guys on the floor next year that can run and create off the bounce. We will be a better shooting team.

We played the style we did b/c of Book and Jennings, IMO. Next year, with Filer, Roper, KJ, Coleman, and Blossomgate... you'll see more transition and see us spread the floor more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Of the players that played this year, none, with the

Mar 6, 2013, 2:07 PM

exception of Roper and KJ, were good shooters or gave any indication they were an offensive threat. Even those guys were very inconsistent. Roper went cold as ice on many occasions. KJ is dynamic and exciting around the rim, but he is not a good shooter and not that good a creating a shot off the dribble or spotting up the jumper.

So, of the players that played this year, I don't see anybody coming back that is a real offensive threat. If they didn't show any potential for it this year, I don't expect it to magically appear next year. That means Blossomgame, Coleman, and Rooks are gonna have to be very productive next year. Coleman looked solid late last year, and Blossomgame and Rooks may be unreal, but they are all still question marks for the most part.

If things come together and the stars align, we could be better next year; wishful thinking aside, I just didn't see anything this year to make me think we will be. I just don't see where the points are gonna come from. Not to mention we will get killed inside. I hope I'm wrong.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think we'll have a completely different look and game plan

Mar 6, 2013, 1:49 PM

that will fit the personnel that we have coming in and that are returning from injury. Maybe play smaller and faster.

As far as record, I see next year being similar to this year except we go above .500 and I think we learn to win some of the close games. Maybe I'm too optimistic...but usually that's the case when it comes to the Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball - post Booker and Jennings

Mar 6, 2013, 1:53 PM

B. Brownell & staff are going to have to develp a post presence for offensive and defensive situations; hoping surely he/they can develop one of the younger gents to be a point guard with ability to take the ball to the hoop (ala Hanlan) and make a few from the outside. Our guard play was awful in the last few games--except NCSU and Miami @ home. VT and BC wore us out there.
BTW--BC started 3 sophs and 2 frosh against us last evening. Expect them to rise more than just a small amt. next season in ACC standings.
Remember before team's confidence was broken that CU had a great neutral court game vs. Gonzaga. ACC tournament does not look promising to me for the guys in Orange/Purple and White.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll just have experienced Guards instead of Forwards

Mar 6, 2013, 5:39 PM

Stop being Debbie Downer. Yes, we will lose two of our best scorers next season. The same as last season when we lost Andre Young and Tanner Smith. At the same time, our offense is going to be completely different next year. It's going to be tailored to create shots for the (more) experienced guards we'll have on the team.

Don't forget Blossomgame and Coleman are very capable scorers that will be back. We'll still probably struggle to score like this year, but it won't be all doom-and-gloom like you think it is. We just likely won't be running our offense through post players next year

True..but

Mar 8, 2013, 9:02 AM

It will likely be another down year though. Atleast we will be watching the future, but it sucks to wait to years.

Re: True..but

Mar 8, 2013, 2:16 PM

Personally, I don't think it has to be a down year. I could see us competing for an NIT championship, or at best being a bubble team for the NCAA's.

The biggest issue is that we now have new hurdles to jump in Syracuse and Pitt entering the schedule.

5 guard offense w/ some Sullivan/Smith/Nnoko thrown in

Mar 6, 2013, 7:44 PM

depending on who we're playing...we've got 2 spots to fill & we are in trouble down low without any more recruits for next year. JUCO's: "Can you hear me now?"

Hall / Roper
Coleman / Rooks / Ajukwa
McDaniel / Fields
Blossomgame / Sullivan
Smith / Nnoko

Oops...forgot Filer***

Mar 6, 2013, 8:16 PM

BC & UVA are Young & Getting Stronger***

Mar 6, 2013, 9:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Book & Jenn = 38.0%; Smith & Young = 37.7%;

Mar 8, 2013, 2:35 PM

Book & Jenn from last year = 31.1%
KJ & Roper from this yer = 29.2%

So based on these numbers, we will lose slightly more than we lost last year, and hope for our next two leading scorers to score just slightly more than our #3 & #4 had to increase from last year to this year. Somehow I don't see that as too much of a concern.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,597
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic