Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those still supporting Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,506

For those still supporting Brownell

Mar 10, 2017, 7:04 PM

what exactly are the positives you see from this past season and going forward? What exactly gives you hope that things are moving in the right direction?

As one who thinks he should go, I see promise in a Mitchell/Reed backcourt. I like Thomas skill set. I think this is a good, not great, recruiting class. After that, I see basically nothing that excites me. And I don't think that's enough for much, if any, improvement

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re None***

Mar 10, 2017, 7:09 PM

He has nice hair.*****

Mar 10, 2017, 7:12 PM

Re: For those still supporting Brownell

Mar 10, 2017, 7:14 PM

He makes a lot of excuses.

Mar 10, 2017, 7:27 PM

I never thought Brownell should have been hired and still don't think he's the man to lead this program BUT....

I don't see why this season has suddenly convinced everybody. We truly are two or three buckets from being an NCAA team.

Unless you're convinced you have a homerun hire to replace him there's no point.

When is there a point then?

Mar 10, 2017, 7:49 PM

How many more years of mediocrity before we move on and take our chances with someone else? No hire is guaranteed to succeed, but it's pretty obvious that Brownell isn't going to lead us to any kind of consistent success. So why wait?

Re: A white coach like Brownell is not going to win

Mar 10, 2017, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: For those still supporting Brownell ]

basketball games at Clemson. Yes, the color of the skin has plenty to do with that game. How many white guys have we suited up in the last twenty years? A lot of these kids that play basketball come from a different background than those that go to Carolina and Duke. Brownell is afraid to recruit on their level or afraid to go after the TOP payers who come from less affluent homes. Cliff Ellis (maybe Oliver ) was the last coach who did that. If you are going to win, you will not do it with choir boys at Clemson. Basketball recruiting is a lot different from other major sports. These kids know what they want and they will get it. A remodeled Littlejohn is not the answer. We will have to change and do what most don't want to do or continue with LESS than mediocrity. A tough decision.

Mar 10, 2017, 7:54 PM

I'm not necessarily supporting Brownell,but I have no say so in whether Dan
keeps him oor lets him go.
However,IF he given another year,than Dan needs to make it clear,nothing short of a NCAA
selection is a no -no.

So that means no extension

Mar 10, 2017, 7:57 PM

and basically no hope for any kind of recruiting class. So the question remains, and yes we have no say in it, but why not now? The chances of us making the tourney next year are what, maybe 10%?

No Blossomgame. 10% might be too generous.***

Mar 10, 2017, 8:02 PM

I'd say 50%. But if we are on the wrong side of that,

Mar 10, 2017, 8:07 PM

then what? I would absolutely keep Brad Brownell. It just might take a bit more time.

If we change coaches, we would have zero chance of attracting Zion Williamson. Zion wants to stay close to home, and Clemson is not far from Spartanburg. I believe Dabo and Brownell would have a good chance of recruiting Zion with the right message. Let Dabo be part of this recruiting effort. Allow Zion to enjoy some of the new football facility.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So landing Zion for one year changes the trajectory

Mar 10, 2017, 8:11 PM

of the program? That's what we're basing our hopes on? One and dones, unless you land them every year, are fools gold

Re: Right now, we can't hope for fool's gold.***

Mar 10, 2017, 10:56 PM

Re: You don't need an extension t o recruit against Mercer,

Mar 10, 2017, 10:49 PM [ in reply to So that means no extension ]

Gardner Webb, Wofford and Charlotte.

He is a good guy and a stand-up coach. A player's coach.

Mar 10, 2017, 8:02 PM

He supports his players. He never blames losses on players. He is always encouraging of his TEAM. He is a TEAM guy. He knows basketball. He is liked in the coaching community. The team is a few points away from being an NCAA team, playing in the absolute toughest conference and having one of the absolute toughest scheduled. He didn't miss any shots this year. His team beat South Carolina on the road, largely due to a key move late in the game when the team suddenly changed to a zone defense. The 2017 class looks very good.

I supported Brad Brownell the first day he was hired (I had never heard his name), and I have supported him every day since.

There are not many coaches or teams that could win more games in the ACC this year. I would wamt my kids to play for him. He is by far a better coach than Frank Martin, whose team may sneak into the NCAA tournament with a team that is worse than Clemson's team.

GO TIGERS!

Re: He is a good guy and a stand-up coach. A player's coach.

Mar 10, 2017, 8:03 PM

I'll have what he's drinking bartender!!!

Go for it. My glass is half full or more.***

Mar 10, 2017, 8:07 PM

How are they worse than us when we beat them

Mar 10, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to He is a good guy and a stand-up coach. A player's coach. ]

without them having the SEC POY available?

BTW, you didn't mention the only thing that really matters in coaching. Is he successful in winning games? He has the lowest winning percentage of any coach since Tates Locke not named Larry Shyatt. That's 40+ years of basketball

You tell me. better coach: Martin or Brownell?

Mar 10, 2017, 8:09 PM

I'd rather have Brownell.
I'd rather play for Brownell.

Not even close.

Based on success Martin has been better

Mar 10, 2017, 8:14 PM

Year 5 in Columbia and he has them in the tourney. He has the SEC POY. He's recruiting better than us.

As a person, I agree, I'm with Brad. As a coach Martin has been more successful at a higher level

Re: Based on success Martin has been better

Mar 10, 2017, 10:55 PM

Brad is a nice person. We all agree on that. Martin is a jerk but his recruiting is better and their program is better. I hate Carolina but facts are the facts. The only way you can objectively judge a coaches record in basketball is recruiting,wins and losses,and tournament appearances. Right now do you believe that any other power 5 school other than Clemson would keep Brownell? He's getting next year but Drad should tell him no NCAA bid next year means he's fired.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,506
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic