Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback

Jul 17, 2017, 7:01 AM

ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback

ESPN football analyst Tom Luginbill has strong feelings about who he thinks will be Clemson’s starting quarterback this season, and those feelings come from a lesson he thinks the coaches learned with Deshaun Watson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback

Jul 17, 2017, 7:42 AM

I think I made comments back in the spring very similar to his article. The only difference being Zerrick Cooper will get snaps too against Kent St. Against, I think Dabo will start and finish with the same QB, unless he just isn't there (very unlikely with the quality we have). The QB doesn't need to win the game, just consistently get the ball to our playmakers.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback

Jul 17, 2017, 8:21 AM

Meant to say Against Auburn in my post above.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 1:41 PM

Two things for sure - Fall practice, which we don't see will determine who starts and no matter who it is, tigernet will have a complete meltdown.

Jul 17, 2017, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

Hunter could very will take over the qb stop as the season goes on. I think he can do great things. The only thing I think about is what if hunter does take over, do we possibly start another true freshmen with TL or do we redshirt him if hunter is the real deal. Idk I just don't see us taking hunter out after having a really good season. I know TL is a decade qb and could still take over even if hunter does good this year I'm just wondering how that will work out with Hunter and TL. Last time it worked out bc chad Kelley removed himself from the team. Just a thought I've had. But hunter could def be the man this year he has the talent to do so!!

Jul 17, 2017, 8:31 AM

Luginbill often has strong feeling. He once picked Jimmy Claussen as the #1 guy in his mock NFL draft, then said he would quit his job if Claussen did not turn out to be a great NFL QB. How'd that turn out Tom?

I don't know who the primary QB for Clemson will be this year. Right now, Dabo says Kelly Bryant is first on the depth chart. So Bryant is first on my depth chart too.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 8:53 AM

Was that Tom L or Mel K that said that? I have seen people post that Mel said that.

Still, Tom is forgetting a ton of dynamics surrounding that UGA. We don't win that game just off a Watson start alone. We scored a ton in the first half, then we couldn't block hardly at all in the second half and WRs dropped balls. Balls thrown by Watson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 11:56 AM

Hurley Gurley had an easy kickoff return for td too. I vivdly recall the middle of the field opening like the Red Sea and Gurley said thanks very much.

Jul 17, 2017, 1:28 PM

Yes, that wedge (blocking formation) was either illegal or a gnat's hair from being an infraction.

Jul 17, 2017, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

Cole Stoudt was the victim of a few key drops, too. IIRC, he put one in Charone Peake's hands that Peake couldn't hold on to.

Even so, I blame Todd Gurley for the UGA loss. Dude had a monster game. 198 yards rushing and a 100 yard kick return.

Jul 17, 2017, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

It was Mel Kiper not Luginbill.

Jul 17, 2017, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

That was Mel Kiper that made the statement about Jimmy Clauseen.

Jul 17, 2017, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

The Jimmy Claussen thing is enough to make me abandon any trust in that guy's opinion.

Jul 17, 2017, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

We'll need TL next year if HJ is the starting QB this year. IMO, we will see at least 2 of the 3 QB'S transfer after this season that's riding the pine behind HJ.

Jul 17, 2017, 8:47 AM

I totally agree that TL is the qb of future I just find it hard to see if hunter does like a hurts type year and takes us back to the natty do you still take him out for a true freshmen? Even if that freshman is qb of decade by most recruiting experts. I mean if hunter has that type of year I wouldn't mind TL red shirting madness becoming the man his R sophomore year when hunter is junior and goes to draft. I want TL to be starting qb next year but I just don't see if HJ does great and leads us to a title do we really take him. Out if not then I'm fine with TL playing freshmen year. I def see Cooper transferring if he doesn't play this year, I think tucker doesn't mind being that back up guy and loves the knowledge think he will be a coach. And I can see HJ staying even if he doesn't ball out to be our back up qb. I don't know about Brice he might transfer or might stay and be team players. Also if Kb doesn't start at QB this year would love to see him do wildcats or wr like Miller for osu bc he is fast as a deer and quick af.

~this~"Also if Kb doesn't start at QB this year would love

Jul 17, 2017, 11:47 AM

Also if Kb doesn't start at QB this year would love to see him do wildcats or wr like Miller for osu bc he is fast as a deer and quick."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 17, 2017, 7:48 AM

Wow, he actually makes perfect sense.

Jul 17, 2017, 8:33 AM

thanks god ESPn has finally sorted out the depth chart for us.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever..Whoever....

Jul 17, 2017, 8:37 AM

Just not a youthful Bentley type!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whatever..Whoever....

Jul 17, 2017, 12:13 PM

Is that the Bentley who was nineteen years old, and should have still been in HS last year? Most who are 19 are sophomores in college. I don't get why they played up his age. Like you said, whatever...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 17, 2017, 8:43 AM

If we have Johnson as QB we will be a good team. Kelly is not the answer. We need a qb that can throw. Kelly will
lose to Lousville,Auburn and Fl State

Based off what? All available data disagrees with you.***

Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

What data is that? There really is no available data for any

Jul 18, 2017, 8:24 AM

of these QBs. The coaches obviously see them in practice and have that information available, but there's little to no game film on any of them, and the little bit we've seen of Kelly is a mixed bag.

Based off what? All available data disagrees with you.***

Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

"we"

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jul 17, 2017, 9:17 AM

Outside of two horrible snaps, Hunter Johnson was the better QB during the Spring Game. Just my opinion. I have yet to see Kelly Bryant throw a pass of 15 yards or more. I'm just not comfortable with him under center, and I hope that if Dabo selects him to be the starter that he knows something that we don't. I agree with the analyst here, we play Watson we win against UGA between the hedges. It's really that simple.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jul 17, 2017, 9:27 AM

Not only do we win between the hedges but by the time we face FSU Deshaun would have been planted as the starter and we be FSu that year as well. That takes us to the GT game undefeated. If not for the injury to Deshaun then we are winning the ACC and a spot against Oregon in the playoffs. Unfortunately, without Deshaun or a Deshaun with a torn ACL. But that would have put us in the playoffs 3 years in a row. These are truly the good ole day at Clemson. Go Tigers.

I completely disagree... TI, KB, and ZC outplayed him

Jul 17, 2017, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

in the spring game. Hunter threw a nice TD but was otherwise ineffective.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was playing with subs at Oline against mostly first team

Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 AM

Defensive line. He hardly had time to get feet set.

Thus here.. right here

Jul 17, 2017, 1:24 PM

Is why it is pointless to discuse it.
People have their choice and they will coot all day to prove it.

There is not 1 logical reason to start any 1 but bryant.

Re: Thus here.. right here

Jul 17, 2017, 8:46 PM

He can't throw the football effectively.

Re: Thus here.. right here

Jul 18, 2017, 7:42 AM

Dude, every post is not about Bentley. We know your quarterback is inefficient throwing the football unless it's against UMass, ECU or even WCU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no logical reason to start anyone but Bryant?

Jul 18, 2017, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Thus here.. right here ]

Really?

I think you can make a pretty good argument that the guy with the highest upside should start, and i really don't believe that's Bryant.

Re: I completely disagree... TI, KB, and ZC outplayed him

Jul 17, 2017, 1:33 PM [ in reply to I completely disagree... TI, KB, and ZC outplayed him ]

Tucker had the command of the offense, from what I saw. I did have stuff going on and missed a some plays here and there, though.

Jul 17, 2017, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

Its almost like 1 guy was playing with a hurt throwing hand...

Oh wait you would rather ignore that part.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Jul 17, 2017, 12:21 PM

Well, that settles that .

My goodness these are some awesome problems to have

Jul 17, 2017, 12:24 PM

??????????

Jul 17, 2017, 12:28 PM

Obviously right now the coaches think Bryant Is the better fit for the offense and we need a qb with some type of mobility

Jul 17, 2017, 3:30 PM

Great point - the coaches might give Bryant the early nod to also see how the running game develops. Making up for the loss of Gallman's production will be tough and the only way to do it might be with another mobile QB under center.

With that said, I trust that the coaches will make the right decision, as we have the best in the business running the ship. Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: essoclub_sae®

All of these guys are mobile except maybe Israel.

Jul 18, 2017, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: ESPN analyst says Hunter Johnson will be Clemson's starting quarterback ]

Bryant is best runner, but Cooper and Johnson are both great athletes and good enough runners to be effective.

Jul 17, 2017, 8:30 PM

Yeah, whatever. Trust, I'm good.

I wasn't overly impressed with any of the QBs in spring game but

Jul 18, 2017, 7:18 AM

They all 4 had flashes of greatness. I personally think TI had the better game in all but the chances of him being a starter is about as much as me being a starter.

Do i think HJ becomes the starter? Yes, only because of what DW did and Dabo will feel the pull of Tiger Nation to give it to him. KB will start but i, personally, don't feel he has the arm that any of the other 3 have but he has the legs of Lamar Jackson and i think that coupled with experience, knowledge, and seniority are the reasons he is 1st team. I just hope Dabo learned his lesson from the Stoudt episode that seniority and experience doesnt mean squat if you have a better QB. I'm very anxious to see how it plays out and can't believe we've finally reached the point we are at where we have too many good players to choose from. We are truly TOO DEEP! So proud to be a Tiger!!!

Re: I wasn't overly impressed with any of the QBs in spring game but

Jul 18, 2017, 7:43 AM

Spring game was a glorified practice, that's all. Can't really tell anything as no quarterback played with all the 1's. It was a test game. Throw it out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic