Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball question for the board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,288

Baseball question for the board

Mar 7, 2017, 5:53 AM

Was listening to ESPN radio a.k.a. could radio yesterday, and Clemson caller caller. He said that Tanner had taken advantage of some rules loopholes during their national championship years, and that those loopholes had now been closed. His point was that Tanner had chosen the right time to step aside. What rules was he referring to?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball question for the board

Mar 7, 2017, 6:19 AM

You misspelled qwestion and bored...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting

Mar 7, 2017, 6:22 AM

If I had to guess I'd think ESPN was referring to either a sliding academic scale for player admissions, or the way that SC was compensating for scholarships.

DI baseball programs only have like 11 scholarships per year to give out, and that can lead to some creative ways to get players compensated to full, or close to full scholarship levels. One or both of those would be my guess.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks...makes sense

Mar 7, 2017, 6:29 AM

And I guess Jack wasn't exploring these loopholes? Maybe it was a budgetary deal? #secmoney

Just the way Tanner did business

Mar 7, 2017, 6:58 AM

I don't believe it was necessary a rules loophole but just his way of doing business. He would offer minimal money (just a few hundred dollars) to lots of players, more players than can be on the roster. Once they got to campus, he would hold "tryouts" of sort, and cut down to the usual roster size. Players would them either be stuck at school without baseball, or have to leave to play elsewhere. Now there is something in place called the "Ray Tanner" rule where schools have to offer players at least 33% of a full scholarship, and only 27 of the 35 players on the roster can receive scholarships.

I am good friends with one of Matt Wieters' high school coach, and this is one of the reasons Tanner lost Wieters. Matt wanted to go to USuCk. Weiters and his family took their visit to Coluimbia, Tanner told them of his minimum offer. The Wieters wanted more money because they believed, and rightfully so, that Matt was somewhat better than the other players coming in. Tanner told them no, that's what he offered everyone. There were also conversations with other USuCk coaches that didn't go well. When the family got in the car to come home, Matt and his mom decided to look elsewhere.

Must be a common SEC practice

Mar 7, 2017, 7:08 AM

I had heard in high school about UGA doing this. It factored into some of my HS friends who were good baseball players and lifelong Dawg fans choosing to take baseball scholarships at GT.

Wasn't there something about heating bats?***

Mar 7, 2017, 7:03 AM

Come on. They had good teams then, they have a good team now

Mar 7, 2017, 7:42 AM

Give credit where it is due. That just sounds like sour grapes.

I will say they had better equipment than we did one year. Those Rawlings bats were way better than what we had.

Re: Come on. They had good teams then, they have a good team now

Mar 7, 2017, 7:58 AM

No one is saying they dindt have good teams.... People are talking about questionable practices to get those teams.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Re: Baseball question for the board

Mar 7, 2017, 7:48 AM

Baseball has 11.7 scholarships across 28 players - 7 are playing without any money
25% is usually the min offer
Once offered and accepted you have to break rules/suffer academically or get in trouble with law to have it pulled - new rule in 2015

David Perno at UGA did exactly that and won, then they ran him out of town because he was losing recruits and not winning anymore, now Strickland is rebuilding.

Baseball has to get creative and the ACM helps in recruiting out of state talent

UGA had a little different practice

Mar 7, 2017, 10:57 AM

they basically offered in-state kids nothing and allocated all the scholarship money to out of state. In-state kids could get HOPE Scholarships. That came back to bite them because only about half of their players kept their HOPE Scholarship after their freshman year (thats pretty much the average student rate too) and they were SOL later in their college career.

Ron Polk actually started that....and then went on to complain about it when he went back to MSU.

There is belief that they were juicing big time too.***

Mar 7, 2017, 7:57 AM

That came to mind with their closer that got hurt. 85mph

Mar 7, 2017, 8:00 AM

when he came to sc according to Holbrook and now throws 98. I have NEVER, EVER heard of that kind of increase naturally. At best, 5 mph increase. The kid is a physical specimen and looks suspect.

Well...it's not like they haven't done it before.***

Mar 7, 2017, 8:07 AM [ in reply to There is belief that they were juicing big time too.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Also creative in getting around "random" drug tests. Some of their

Mar 7, 2017, 8:47 AM [ in reply to There is belief that they were juicing big time too.*** ]

players could have NEVER passed a drug test...and everyone knew it.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,288
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic