Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball numbers while we wait
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,414

Baseball numbers while we wait

Jun 3, 2015, 2:13 PM

It's my belief that no matter which way we go with a coach, Clemson's athletic department and we as fans need to be prepared to pony up some serious coin if we want to be competitive in the coming baseball landscape. But I didn't really know how truly far behind we were until looking at some numbers.

First, I didn't know that we have not one, but two, million dollar baseball coaches already. UCLA and LSU broke the mark in their last contracts. I always like the idea of "throw the bank" at Corbin or O'Sullivan but the size of the bank would have to be a lot bigger than I realized.

I decided to dig into the numbers at LSU a little more. Not only will a season ticket set you back double ($350 versus $175) but for equivalent seating you have to chip in a minimum of $1500 just for the right to purchase. For 30 home games this makes cost of attendance at LSU $61 per game versus $10.50 per game at Clemson (yes, I added the minimum IPTAY contribution).

Clemson can be competitive but not until we come to terms with the financial realities surrounding this sport. Our fans and our AD have had their heads in the sand about this for a long time. IPTAY essentially created college football boosterism and were unparalleled in the early 1980s. This proves that Clemson supporters are willing to outspend the competition if it is packaged in an manner that inspires our excitement. There is no doubt that the same thing can be done for our baseball team. But, is there anyone within the leadership at Clemson who can create this excitement?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball numbers while we wait

Jun 3, 2015, 3:26 PM

LSU is just a different animal....Clemson will likely never compete with LSU for overall spending and fan support in baseball. Theyir fanbase and bidge is massive. Pretty much like Kentucky basketball or Bama football.....they'll spend whatever is needed on coaches and facilities to remain the best.

I don't think Corbin leaves Vanderbilt....seems very happy there and its basically his program and he can have it as long as he wants. Being a FL guy and having so much success, I dont see O'Sullivan coming back to Clemson to basically one up his former mentor.

I'd like to think there will be overwhelming interest from very good coaches for the Clemson job. We may have to shell out more money than expected but alot of good coaches will want the job fof what it is and maybe not necessarily looking for a bigger payday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball numbers while we wait

Jun 3, 2015, 3:46 PM

But even UCLA, who are very recent to baseball success, are matching them stride for stride. FSU has the bullpen club which is a booster program directly for baseball independent of all other FSU atheletic donations. I don't think for a second we'll ever spend anything close to LSU. But when they're earning revenue directly from the sport at a rate 8 to 12 times what we are (higher tickets prices plus additional capacity) and other programs are following suit you're only gonna be in the discussion for so long if you don't make some effort to cut the difference. And this is funds available for baseball raised directly by baseball - not factoring in the extra revenue the other power conferences are bringing in to throw around. I honestly would have believed before looking at these numbers that $1 million guaranteed would have been enough to steal almost any baseball coach. It wouldn't be close. Corbin could get that tomorrow from at least half a dozen programs who would also pay any buyout to Vanderbilt and any buyout to their existing coach. You'd have to come swinging with $1.5 or more and a long term contract to catch a top 10 coaches interest. That's not gonna happen with $175 best seats in the house and a minimum IPTAY contribution.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The financial reality is that CU baseball loses about $1 mil

Jun 3, 2015, 6:17 PM

a year.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

anybody and I mean anybody that thinks Corbin or

Jun 3, 2015, 6:22 PM

Sully will come if we push out Coach Leggett have their head up another part of their anatomy. Corbin was Jack's best man at his wedding a few years ago and Sully was there too. I ought to know. I performed the ceremony. The only coach on the Leggett tree that is currently available, I think, is Pawlawski. But he is close to Jack as well. The name I haven't heard is Turtle Thomas, Wilhelms right hand man whose team made a great run this year.

Re: anybody and I mean anybody that thinks Corbin or

Jun 3, 2015, 7:00 PM

I don't actually think either would really come but I was just thinking more in the "everyone has a price" so what would be the take whoever you want price in baseball. It is much higher than I would have imagined.

Re: Turtle is too old. He is happy in Florida***

Jun 3, 2015, 9:04 PM [ in reply to anybody and I mean anybody that thinks Corbin or ]

LOL! if it gets to the point that a college baseball game

Jun 3, 2015, 6:42 PM

costs 61 bucks..........there wont be 75 people at Clemson games.

Re: LOL! if it gets to the point that a college baseball game

Jun 3, 2015, 6:59 PM

Did you read the breakdown? Those are the actually costs. The season ticket is $350 versus $175. That's roughly $11 versus $5.50. But if you add in the booster fees is where it jumps. Fact of the matter is if most people actually figured out exactly what they're paying per seat for season football tickets they'd probably quit too. I would pay nicely to lock down good seats at DKS.

We are in the ACC

Jun 3, 2015, 7:14 PM

Give me a compare there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: We are in the ACC

Jun 3, 2015, 7:58 PM

The only thing I can readily find in the ACC is UVA who charges $200 versus our $175 for best seats. They also charge a $150 fee for each chair back seats. While we require an IPTAY membership to purchase our best seats it's not per seat. And it's on all chair backs - we only require an IPTAY membership on select seats. So Virginia collects significantly more than we do per seat per game. I couldn't readily find FSU or UNC numbers. USC requires all season ticket holders to be at least 2nd tier Gamecock Club members, season tickets themselves are $240 per seat regardless of location, and requires a YES seat equit donation per seat each season. It averages $100 in the better seats. So their cost of attendance is also dramatically higher than ours. Even a bleacher seat at USC will set you back back over $300. You can do the same for half that at Clemson.

Is the $1500 just for baseball? Or is that in the money

Jun 3, 2015, 7:26 PM

that they would be giving for football anyway?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the $1500 just for baseball? Or is that in the money

Jun 3, 2015, 7:44 PM

From what I'm reading just for baseball. There is also a waiting list to buy season tickets at LSU.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,414
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic