Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball is the perfect sport to computerize officiating 100
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Baseball is the perfect sport to computerize officiating 100

Mar 1, 2018, 3:17 PM

percent and do away with the inherent bias of human umpiring.

MLB already has the strike zone up on the screen ... have a computer call balls and strikes.

Baselines have light sensors ... bases have touch sensors.

Easy peasy.

Besides golf, that would make it the purist sport around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball is the perfect sport to computerize officiating 100

Mar 1, 2018, 3:32 PM

Agreed, but then what's the point of me working on my heckle skills i.e. "C'MON BLUUUUE" and "We wanna pitcher, not a belly itcher"?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

What is the reasoning for NOT having an automated

Mar 1, 2018, 3:33 PM

strike zone where balls and strikes are called by computer?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: What is the reasoning for NOT having an automated

Mar 1, 2018, 3:40 PM

Umpires union?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There would still be a need for behind the plate umps.***

Mar 1, 2018, 3:40 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: What is the reasoning for NOT having an automated

Mar 1, 2018, 3:45 PM [ in reply to What is the reasoning for NOT having an automated ]

Might as well play video game.
Taking too much human element out of game. Might as well have robots for players

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's simply not true, and a pretty lame argument.

Mar 1, 2018, 4:01 PM

The only human element you're taking out is a human's ability to make critical mistakes that wrongly and unfairly affect the outcome. You'd still have humans vs. humans, with plenty of mistakes being made which reflect the ability and effort of the players, as it should be.

- H. L. Mencken

Not no, but he???? no!!!!!! How can

Mar 1, 2018, 3:48 PM

A coach go out on the field an argue with a computer? Sports are played by humans who make mistakes, so do officials it’s part of the game. Relay in football is awful, so what if the officials miss a call or two it’s a game.

^^^ future head of ACC officiating ^^^***

Mar 1, 2018, 4:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mar 1, 2018, 3:52 PM

Baseball already has large stretches of no action... if you also take out the uncertainty of getting calls right baseball will be BORING! Let's get rid of the replay / review just to speed the game back up while we're at it.

You would still need umps for things like

Mar 1, 2018, 3:54 PM

judging whether a runner was tagged out, balks, pitcher intentionally trying to hit the batter, etc.

But yes, the balls and strikes could be automated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Mar 1, 2018, 4:19 PM

How about "did the runner beat the throw?" Or "was the tag before the base or after?" Or even " did he actually tag the runner?" Sensors in glove or what?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RUSSIAN HACKING***

Mar 1, 2018, 4:35 PM

What makes baseball perfect is its beautiful imperfections.

Mar 1, 2018, 4:37 PM

The human element in the umpiring is part of the game. Not always the greatest, but blown calls tend to go both ways. I'd hate to see that go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I couldn't disagree more, and can't understand that line

Mar 1, 2018, 4:46 PM

of thinking at all. Preventable mistakes that very unfairly alter the outcomes of games are somehow a good thing? If so, why not try to have more of them? Don't Umps work hard NOT to make mistakes?

- H. L. Mencken

Because it's a human game with humans calling it.

Mar 1, 2018, 5:52 PM

An Error is an actual stat - a primary one with runs and hits. Umps, and their errors, are part of the game also. Now, if we're talking ACC basketball, I'm all for robot refs. I just don't think baseball needs to go there. Different game played a different way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2018, 5:43 PM

How would you judge whether or not a batter swings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2018, 5:45 PM

How would you tell if the batter went around or not ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Las Vegas ain't gonna be too happy with your suggestion.***

Mar 1, 2018, 9:35 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic