Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There needs to be a minor league football system
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

There needs to be a minor league football system

Oct 2, 2019, 8:17 AM

Make it so the NFL can draft HS players ... just like in baseball, the kid can decide whether to go pro or college.

This would clean up the college system ... kids that really don't want the academic side can choose to go pro. We know some of these "majors" are a sham for athletes.

I hope it works out this way.

Sure the talent level may drop in college play, but its really all about supporting your school and its athletes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope this is sarcasm***

Oct 2, 2019, 8:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you realize that Clemson does not have the financial

Oct 2, 2019, 8:28 AM

foundation to compete with schools like Texas, USC, Ohio State.

Openly paying players would be the end of Clemson's competiveness for national championships.

Clemson would become a middle of the pack football program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And creating a minor league will improve our financial

Oct 2, 2019, 1:36 PM

financial foundation how? Fatten TV contracts? No. Raise attendance and ticket prices? Negatory. Stimulate the local economy in Pickens County? Not a chance. Yet we will still have the same facilities and staffs that we had when FBS football was FBS. If I want to watch FBS football, I can go watch Citadel or CSU this Saturday. We will have big boy expenses and NAIA revenues. Over time, those will stabilize, but at the lower revenue level. All of the top level coaches will follow the top level talent, scholarships will be cut. Across the country, we will have schools buckling financially under the contract commitments and debt fueled by the arms race created by the current system.

Besides, the schools would not be putting players on salaries.

I will support my alma mater even if they abolish football, but this is not the answer. It would not make the NFL any more watchable, and would destroy major college football.

Nothing wrong with Citadel and CSU games

Oct 2, 2019, 1:49 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where did I suggest that anything was wrong with

Oct 2, 2019, 2:00 PM

Citadel or CSU football? When I was a kid, I used to go to a SC State game or two every year. My point was that we would suddenly be on a much more level playing field competitively with these programs if a minor league were created. We would all be FCS.

While I agree that because of the way we recruit, we would not lose many players immediately to a minor league, but other schools would, which would mean a lot more schools competing for the same kids - who cared anything about academics. If you created an 8 team league with 60 man rosters, that would be, on average, 4 players per D1 school per year that would not be playing college. Then, when you factor in that probably 2-3 kids at least will be competing for each roster spot, you start getting into some pretty big numbers.

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

You would be getting into bigger numbers

Oct 2, 2019, 2:14 PM

Let me be crystal clear on this: I will NOT like Clemson

Oct 2, 2019, 3:54 PM

football any less if this happens, but I WILL like college football less

But if you take the best 16 players off of our roster, we will have a less marketable product, which will lead to lower program revenue, lower paid coaches, and so on. I don't disagree that the "likeness" approach will have some similar effects, but I was not arguing FOR that plan...I was just arguing AGAINST a minor league in football.

I would prefer neither to happen, but concede that this is highly unlikely.

No, but let's face facts, those are very similar to watching

Oct 3, 2019, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Nothing wrong with Citadel and CSU games ]

the highest classification high school games, talent wise. I lived in the Summerville area for five years back in the late 70's, and the talent McKissick had could probably have beaten the Citadel or Furman on an off day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it is inevitable now. The NCAA won't allow the pay to play

Oct 2, 2019, 8:28 AM

law so someone will create a league to that will give those players a place to play and it will be a version not unlike the NBDL or CFL for younger players and practice squad players for NFL teams. We will just have to wait and see what it does to College football. I think we'll still have it but the top 15 type kids won't probably be there. Kinda like college basketball became. No more stud lineups like the 80s and 90s. They'll all opt for the paycheck. Thanks Gavin! you freakin attention hor.

Re: There needs to be a minor league football system

Oct 2, 2019, 8:32 AM

Its about to happen. The XFL.

Re: Minor league football system

Oct 2, 2019, 1:10 PM

Been there for 15 years.

AFC East sans NE.

Oct 2, 2019, 9:05 AM

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve anything. Yes, it would give 18 year olds the option to go make money rather than go to college, but the main issue remains...colleges continuing to make money on the backs of their unpaid players (even if the players aren't as good as they were before the minor league system was adopted). The bleeding heart liberals would still demand the college players receive money.

The value of an athletic scholarship is in

Oct 2, 2019, 9:12 AM

The hundreds of thousands of dollars. The value of a college degree could be 0-billions.

I would love to get rid of the special admittance rules for athletes. See how much their image Is worth if they don't get into school. Even a school like Alabama must have an average sat score above 700.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The value of an athletic scholarship is in

Oct 2, 2019, 9:27 AM

So they get the same benefit as many normal students do? Except the normal students only have to go to class, and don't in return spend countless hours practicing, reviewing film, training, etc... while risking injury. Also, if someone wanted to pay a regular student to sign some autographs or be in a commercial then that student could do that without losing their scholarship. There also aren't people making nearly 8 figure salaries based on the work put in by the normal student population.

Also, the scholarship is offered by the school. The new laws being voted on are to allow the players to make money off of their names, not for the school itself to pay a salary to the players. Why exactly should a player not be allowed to make money off of their own name? That's ok, but some idiot can make money on Facebook by pressing some letters to add player names onto jerseys and sell them?

Re: The value of an athletic scholarship is in

Oct 2, 2019, 9:56 AM

There are a few holes in your logic.

"Normal" students don't get a free education.

"Normal" students don't have any asking for their autograph and if they did, it doesn't provide a competitive advantage for someone to pay them for it.

"Normal" students spend countless hours working, often in the service industry, to pay for school instead of getting to do 4-year internships, which is essentially what practicing, film study, and training are for a future NFL player.

Are you suggesting the coaches get paid for what the players do for the coaches and not what the coaches do for the players? Coaches who make their players desirable to future employers get paid the most.

I'm all for setting up athletes with a payment based off of likeness upon graduation. If they complete the ACADEMIC side of being a student, then they can be paid for their likeness. Each player can have money put into an account to accrue interest throughout their career until their graduation when they can choose if/how to take our their money. With this rule, athletes could do signings, appearances, even bring back college video games and have a set cut for each player on the team to receive after their career is over.

People are arguing for the 2% of college athletes who could actually make any money off of their name. It's ridiculous to overhaul a system for 2%.

Absolutely

Oct 2, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: The value of an athletic scholarship is in ]

Same opportunities as any other student.

Get in to school like any other student
Get paid however you want just like any other student
Pay your bills like any other student
Make decisions like any other student
Transfer when you want just like any other student
Leave when you want just like any other student

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

"Only have to go to class"

Oct 2, 2019, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: The value of an athletic scholarship is in ]

NFL doesn't have to. Their 3 year rule ensures

Oct 2, 2019, 9:13 AM

They can use the NCAA as a minor league.

You are asking for NCAA d-1 football to become the

Oct 2, 2019, 9:16 AM

equivalent of college baseball. And happily asking for it as well.

Pathetic.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Baseball is the best model to use.

Oct 2, 2019, 4:29 PM

If anyone is getting a free ride in college football its the NFL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 9:18 AM

I'm mixed on the whole thing really. I don't want to see things become the wild west where players are being offered 6 figure deals across the board to go to certain schools. However, it's hard to say the whole thing is about education and supporting your favorite school, and then pay nearly 10 million per year to the head coach, and several million more for the rest of the coaching staff. Then to not only do that, but tell a player it's not ok for them to accept a few hundred bucks to sign some autographs at the local car dealership or whatever.

Yeah they get free education and a place to live, but so do many normal students who aren't putting in many hours after class for practice and film study while putting their bodies at risk while earning millions for the school.

I know there's a fear of this being a way for rich boosters to pay off recruits, and I share that fear as well, and hope they come up with some sort of way to try and control that aspect of things. However, I see no problem with a player getting paid a fair amount to sign autographs, or appear in commercials for a local business, or whatever it might be.

Heck, don't many people on here say many of the bigger schools are already cheating and paying for recruits in the first place?

Oct 2, 2019, 12:34 PM

I don't know why so many people are disagreeing with you. Yes, it will hurt the college football product, but it represents the 'merican idea of caplitalism.

There is a minor league system.

Oct 2, 2019, 12:50 PM

I'll make this brief. Way too complicated to explain in a message board post.

The NCAA, for decades, has eagerly and willingly accepted the role of minor league for footaal and basketball. They encourage schools to recruit kids who have no desire to attend college. They encourage schools to recruit kids whose sole purpose is to prepare for the NBA or NFL. Coaches use the recruiting line, "We can prepare you for the next level."

NCAA could solve the problem very easily. Football has 85 scholarships. Once a kid signs a scholarship he counts against those 85 for either six years or until he graduates. Period. No exceptions. Same with hoops. UK has 15 ships. Calipari recuits 5 one and doners. For the next 5 years he has 10 ships. He recruits 4 one and doners. For the next 4 years he has 6 ships.

But, the NCAA - eagerly and willingly - has set the rules so that academic requirements are minimal. They want to recruit the best athletes available, with no regard for the academic ability or academic desire.

"Come to our school. You'll be a lottery pick next year."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a great point. And a good solution.***

Oct 2, 2019, 4:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2019, 1:16 PM

I agree. It is heading the direction of creating a minor league system. Works for baseball, soccer, and somewhat for basketball.

Excellent Point! And might force the idiots to face reality

Oct 2, 2019, 1:56 PM

You either have an amateur system or you don't. I think this is an excellent idea. In reality it won't work because there isn't enough interest in the NFL to pay for a second tier - how many times has it already been tried?

To me Clemson is not kids here only to play and get paid. I realize that is why some of them are at Clemson but I am naive enough to believe the vast majority are smart enough to know they won't make it in the NFL and if they don't it will be Not For Long and they want a Clemson education.

The day we start playing players "for their likeness" is the day I stop going to games and give up my IPTAY membership. I have already lost interest in college basketball due to one and done.

Oct 2, 2019, 2:06 PM

Many of us worked summers during our college years. I'm having trouble understanding how the NCAA can legally restrict a college student from earning income from his name, image and likeness. To me, earnings from NIL is like earnings from a summer job. Blast away!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have to restrict it or the boosters would pay them for

Oct 2, 2019, 4:34 PM

no show jobs like they used to.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic