Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bangor, Wales
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,203

Bangor, Wales

Mar 11, 2018, 3:31 PM

Traveling in in my blood. It's educational, fun and an opportunity to witness and be a part of an exciting adventure. Several years ago my wife, one daughter, one of my wife's sisters and I were visiting the UK. On several previous trips my luck was rock bottom in getting a suitable rental vehicle. On this trip I requested the rental car agency to be sure we had a vehicle large enough to accommodate the luggage of three women. Bingo !!! We had a brand new Land Rover. We were the first to drive that vehicle. After finding every traffic round-about in England and Scotland and missing a few intended exits, we crossed over into Wales.

None of us had ever been up to the North coast of Wales so that was reason enough to set our coarse for Bangor. We found a B&B which earned my PTA rating (Places to Avoid) after we had our horrible breakfast the next morning. But back to the previous late afternoon. I asked the lady at the B&B if she could recommend a nice restaurant for dinner. She suggested a pub not too far from the B&B so off we went. I entered the Pub and there was no one in sight so I let out a fairly loud "hello". A lady appeared and when I asked if they served dinner, she said "no", but recommended a hotel dining room on the water front and the dining room was open to the public. She could speak very little English and I could not speak one word of Welsh so communication was somewhat of a problem. It took about ten minutes and quite a few sketches to get directions to the hotel.

The hotel had a nice view of the waterfront and the area was typical of most UK seaside small cities. We entered the hotel and as we approached the dining room there was a huge crowd mingling at the entrance. A white jacketed waiter approached us and told us the dining room was reserved for a large group but if we didn't mind eating in the bar, the same dining room menu would be available.

It was a beautiful bar, probably had not changed one iota during the past 100 years. We were ushered to a table where my wife and I sat with our backs to the wall. Sitting at a table very close to ours and facing me was a lady I judged to be in her 40's and probably 160 pounds. In front of her was a pint of beer and a huge platter piled high with what looked to be fried sardines. We had placed our orders and our drinks had arrived. But I was fascinated with that platter of food she was consuming. Finally. old nosy Joe21 could stand it no longer and asked the lady what was on the platter. This lady could not speak one word of English but she rambled off a few big words, none of which gave me a clue to what she was eating. I still believe it was fried sardines.

The lady polished off that huge platter of whatever was on it. Being such a large serving, I assumed it was her entree, but such was not the case. Out came the rest of her order, a huge "hunk" of lamb and generous servings of the UK rgular items, peas, carrots, potatoes and another pint of beer.

Before we had finizhed our dinner, the lady had eaten every morsel of food on her plate, finished off her second pint of beer and was on her way. I never did find out if that was fried sardines she was eating. I suppose I will go to my grave not knowing. She could at least have offered me the opportunity to try one.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bangor, Wales

Mar 11, 2018, 3:40 PM

That one would be a blind date that you take home early. A buffet would be the only place to take her.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bangor, Wales

Mar 11, 2018, 6:30 PM

It was probably sardines. My son is on sabbatical and traveling all over Europe. He was in Greece recently and posted a picture of him and his wife sharing a platter of either fried or broiled sardines. Except they made their entire meal off it. Didn’t say how many pints.

My wife and I took a similar trip to the UK and got a brand new Ford. I felt guilty hitting the road and driving a new car at 80-90 MPH.We made the mistake of flying all night and then driving to Wales that day. Had to pull off the Motorway for a nap. Turned the car in two weeks later with 3000 miles registered.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,203
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic