Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
While somewhat defensible, putting Bama in the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

While somewhat defensible, putting Bama in the CFP

Nov 14, 2018, 8:09 AM

last year not only set a bad precedent, in my mind or to my thinking, it made me question the ‘impartiality’ or fairness - dare I say integrity - of the committee and the process. Particularly: ‘championships matter’. This year, some of the committee’s early rankings have only served to increase my concerns or doubts. I think comments on here about the ranking(s) of LSU, Kentucky, NC State, Northwestern, Duke, to name a few, would support that.

I get it. It’s not an easy or simple task, but showing inconsistency while ‘applying set criteria’ doesn’t reflect well on the CFPC.

$.02

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Yeah ... ESPN talking heads pretty much said if UGA beats

Nov 14, 2018, 8:13 AM

Bama, both are a lock for the CFP ...

To that I say ... Roll Tide.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah ... ESPN talking heads pretty much said if UGA beats

Nov 14, 2018, 8:26 AM

I hear you.

Yes, I guess the bottom line is that the comfort and beauty of being a Tiger fan these days is getting to spend the Championship Phase discussing or debating a lot of things that don’t really matter or will not affect our Tigers.

Yours truly feels PRETTY damb GOOD about the CFP and how HCDS & Co are gonna fare come December 29 and January 7.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thankfully, the eSECpn talking heads don't have a vote.

Nov 14, 2018, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Yeah ... ESPN talking heads pretty much said if UGA beats ]

If Bama loses to Georgia in the SECCG and Clemson, Michigan, Notre Dame and Georgia all win out, who among those four could the CFP Committee justify leaving out in favor of Bama?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I honestly think ND would be left out.

Nov 14, 2018, 9:53 AM

And to further prove the playoff committee' s inconsistency. They would claim 'Bama over ND because ND played less games. Much less for a championship..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An undefeated Notre Dame, with its national brand...

Nov 14, 2018, 9:58 AM

is not going to get left out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Yeah ... ESPN talking heads pretty much said if UGA beats ]

If Clemson, ND, and Michigan all win out, they are in.

If Alabama losses to Georgia in the SEC championship game, even if it's close, they are out. The championships have to be a play in game if nothing else. Bama only got in last year because they were excluded from the SEC title game.

IMO

Nov 14, 2018, 9:24 AM

I agree that the conference championships do serve as play-in games. The only way a conference championship game loser might still get in is if the only other Power 5 options for the 4th spot already have 2 or more losses.

Nov 14, 2018, 11:18 AM

That's exactly how Bama got in last year. Even a weak PAC12 team with 1 loss would have been in over Bama last year. But the only other team in the country that had 1 loss had just lost to a 2 loss OSU team. Right now the WSU has 1 loss (PAC12), WVA and OK 1 loss each (Big12), OSU and Michigan 1 loss each (B1G), ND no losses, and Clemson No Losses. SO if WSU, OK, Michigan remain with 1 loss and our Tigers remain undefeated, Then the loser of Bama and UGA will get the boot and not make the playoffs. the real question is if UGA loses to GT and then somehow beats Bama, does the SECheat get left out. Highly unlikely but who do you take a 2 loss UGA (SECheat Champ) over a 1 loss Michigan, Maybe a no loss ND and a No loss Clemson. Plus a 1 loss PAC12 Champ WSU. This could get very interesting if that works out. Mike Leach already says some crazy things, imagine his 1 loss team being left out for a 2 loss or 1 loss team that lost it's conference championship. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: While somewhat defensible, putting Bama in the CFP

Nov 14, 2018, 8:20 AM

putting a team in the CFB play-off over a team that beat them and won their division?? I pretty much lost all respect for the committee. This year, I agree with the top four rankings and maybe the top six, but after that, I think they are doing all they can to have two sec teams in if bama loses to uga.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35?

Nov 14, 2018, 8:24 AM

of course you woulnd't. Bama deserved to be in. Obviously. This Playoff isn't about anything but the best 4 teams in College Football. Sorry, but that's not really arguable

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35?

Nov 14, 2018, 8:27 AM

Well, if Championships matter...

It is arguable! Keep it simple! Win your conference to get in!!

Nov 14, 2018, 8:48 AM [ in reply to So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35?

Nov 14, 2018, 9:13 AM [ in reply to So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35? ]

Of course it is arguable. Require winning your conference. If Bama and Ohio Sate were so #### good why did they lose their conference championship or two games - money and unfairness, then reward the teams with a bye and/or a CFP slot.

Bama lost 1 game, just like us/Ok/uga

Nov 14, 2018, 10:52 AM

so they have the same arguement we had when we lost a game. They actually lost to a better team than we or OK did. I dont like it but Bama just happened to win the lottery last yr where everything that needed to happen, happened. UGA beat Aub, OSU beats Wisc.

Yep, with so many committee members

Nov 14, 2018, 10:43 AM [ in reply to So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35? ]

all from diverse backgrounds I like that championships matter, but they aren’t the only criteria.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like or not Committee got it right with Bama last yr

Nov 14, 2018, 10:48 AM [ in reply to So you'd put in a 2 loss OSU that lost in Nov to Iowa by 35? ]

Bama just got lucky that Wisconsin lost making the champ a 2 loss team. I didnt like it, but I had zero problem with this. Bama would not have gotten in if Wisc had won just like if Bama loses this yr they wont get in unless 1 of the other top 4 teams lose. If 1 of current top 4 loses, Bama will be back in the mix.

And if Wisconsin hadnt of played (like Bama)

Nov 14, 2018, 4:41 PM

who would have gotten in? Bama plays and loses to UGA, they don't get in. Auburn doesn't play and they get in? The argument is justified that at least two teams having to play in the conference championship cost them an opportunity for the CFP, while Bama was not forced to take the same risk.

Re: While somewhat defensible, putting Bama in the CFP

Thats why a bigger playoff is needed. The more teams allowed in the playoff the less bias plays a part. The teams decide it on the field. And if you don't have a full playoff there needs to be rules about how many teams can be in the playoff from a particular conference. If you don't EsecPN will will lobbying all season to get the entire SEC in the playoff

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

disagree***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

They set the precedent with Ohio State in 2016***

Re: They set the precedent with Ohio State in 2016***

Nov 10, 2022, 10:15 AM

Valid point

Nov 14, 2018, 8:55 AM

No, Ohio State has two losses (one loss by 35!). Alabama lost once to great team.

This year, if Alabama loses to Georgia, then they ARE OUT. There’s no way a non-conference champ jumps ND, Michigan, UGA, Clemson.

Agreed !!!***

Nov 14, 2018, 8:57 AM

Nov 14, 2018, 9:08 AM [ in reply to They set the precedent with Ohio State in 2016*** ]

No reason to repeat a bad and wrong precedence. It was unfair to give Alabama a bye last year for losing! But, we all know money talks! ESPN/SEC contract wants/demands Alabama/SEC. Size and money of Big Ten demands the same. Clemson has to win it all to not be excluded.

Someone said it really well the other day when they said...

Nov 14, 2018, 9:10 AM

Alabama used its mulligan and Get out of jail Free card last year.

some of us in the media went through the mock sessions....

Nov 14, 2018, 9:15 AM

.... and there is NO WAY enough bias could be is injected into the group as a whole and could affect the rankings. YES, each person in that room could be biased, but the way they rank groups of 3 teams at a time, makes it next to impossible to affect the outcome based on bias.

Now, with that said, everyone in that room is a human being, with their own biases and preconceived ideas. And yes, that can play into the way they rank each three-team group. But every person on the committee would have to have the exact same biases for it to affect the top 4. Not saying that's impossible.... but it IS highly unlikely.

Also, most of those peeps that put Bama in last time have been replaced with this new group of coaches and former players.

But I feel ya. Hope they get it right this time.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

If they didn't meet together I would be more confident

Nov 14, 2018, 10:44 AM

that it would be less biased.

But they meet several times, and with any group, leaders emerge and some have more influence than others and after a while you have groupthink.

If these individuals are deemed worthy and wise enough to pick 4 teams, then they can do that from their couch at home.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no impartiality. They're partial to money. Namely

Nov 14, 2018, 10:37 AM

TV money.

The system has ALWAYS been partial, and will always remain so as long as corrupt people run things.

Not sure I'd call anyone on the Committee "corrupt."***

Nov 14, 2018, 2:08 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

I agree but I still don't care.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:11 PM

The problem that arise are from preseason polls but most of them are overcome by the time the POC meets. That's not to say that #8 is a better team than #14 but the best team in the country ends up with the trophy.

In the beginning that's all we asked. The CCG always seems to be a good, close game. We've seen too many unworthy teams make the NCG during the BCS era. NCGs then sucked. Some patsy ESPN set up to prove the SEC was the bestest, onlyest worthy conference made me puke. ND my asz.

My gripe is bowl affiliations and the way ESPN continues to pack the top ten with SEC teams which gives that conference an unfair percentage of the money generated. I'm not ignoring the fact that top to bottom the SEC is likely the best. I'm just saying that if the SEC continues to schedule unworthy opponents in numbers such as they do there is no possible way to judge them.

All in all I'd say this is as good as we're going to get and Clemson fans should be the last to whine about the POC's consideration of us.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic