Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: All Riled Up: FSU and Clemson deserve better in BCS rankings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Football Update: All Riled Up: FSU and Clemson deserve better in BCS rankings

Nov 14, 2012, 2:51 PM

All Riled Up: FSU and Clemson deserve better in BCS rankings

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself

Nov 14, 2012, 2:53 PM

And the SEC obsession continues.

exactly......that's why i say it will all work itself out...

Nov 14, 2012, 2:59 PM

if clemson wins they will move to their "deserving" spot in the BCS

if clemson loses they may not fall far enough to justify getting beat 4 years in a row to a rival they once dominated.........and I might have to move out of state

Agreed! Winning shuts everyone up***

Nov 14, 2012, 2:59 PM [ in reply to If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself ]

Re: Agreed! Winning shuts everyone up***

Nov 14, 2012, 9:48 PM

except Clemson fans!

That's true!

Nov 15, 2012, 9:22 AM

Ya'll will have to listen to us all year long! ;)

Finally someone willing to stand up and speak his mind

Nov 14, 2012, 2:59 PM [ in reply to If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself ]

thank you Riley. You will probably get fired now that you said 2 ACC teams are better than 3 SEC teams. But you are right and no one else wants to say it. Good to have an ACC guy willing to put it out there.

Re: Finally someone willing to stand up and speak his mind

Nov 14, 2012, 7:19 PM

Right on, right on, right on! TU!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself

Nov 14, 2012, 3:02 PM [ in reply to If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself ]

Not at all. Couldn't disagree more.

The comments are referring to the rankings as they are now. As of right now in week 10 of the season FSU and CU are just better football teams than the other 2 loss teams in the top 10. I don't need a computer to tell me that.

If you had to pick FSU or UF right now who would it be?
If you had to pick CU or Scar RIGHT now who would it be?

Not saying that all of this doesn't change this weekend. Maybe FSU lays an egg. Maybe CU lays an egg.

My question to you. What if those game opportunities would not have been available. What if FSU did not play UF and CU did not play Scar. How would you figure it out then. BCS system is flawed at the very basic level.

Nov 14, 2012, 3:27 PM

Rankings mean nothing until the regular season is over. Look at WV...they were a Top 5 team. Not anymore.

Just win, and the rest takes care of itself.

The BCS isn't supposed to be a week-to-week temperature

Nov 14, 2012, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself ]

Its designed to find the best 2 teams at the end of the season (overlook the fact that the final BCS comes out before the last game of the year Army/Navy). If there wasn't a matchup of those 4 teams at the end of the season and they were replaced by cupcakes, their SOS would fall and so would the rankings.

Fact is, voters use the transitive property all the time by guessing who would beat who by who they've played in common.

Far, far too many counterexamples

Nov 14, 2012, 5:27 PM

Football (and other sports) are simply not transitive. A beats B and B beats C does not imply that A beats C.

Just last year, Clemson beat Auburn, Auburn beat SCAR, and SCAR beat Clemson. Look through the records and you will find plenty of evidence that demonstrates that transitivity in football is a very sorry proposition.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2012, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself ]

You earn that point. I couldn't agree more. What if the teams that are ranked 1 through 6 all lose the last two games. Were they justified to be where they are at now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2012, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: If FSU/CU lose to UF/SCAR then the BCS justifies itself ]

The BCS rankings are skewed from the get go. Those favored teams start out at the top, and it takes a miracle for them to fall (and they don't fall as fast or as far as others when they stumble), and it takes an even bigger miracle for those in other conferences to rise. The great news is, FSU's and our future is in our hands now, so we just have to take care of our business, and let the BCS do whatever it wants. We are making progress in spite of the bias. I like for us to earn our reputation, rather than receive it by association.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: All Riled Up: FSU and Clemson deserve better in BCS rankings

Nov 14, 2012, 2:59 PM

yes they do and the SEC deserves worse. Fla, Ga, are overrated

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

according to the "eye test" yes, but.......

Nov 14, 2012, 3:02 PM

if UF beats FSU @FSU and UGA found a way to beat bama..........their ranking is justified.......if not........they'll fall hard

that's why i don't understand why clemson fans in particular get all worked up about where we are ranked compared to where SCar is ranked............if we beat SCar @home@night (no excuse not to) our ranking will be justified.......if not some clemson fans spoke too soon

I don't buy Florida being over-rated

Nov 14, 2012, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: All Riled Up: FSU and Clemson deserve better in BCS rankings ]

They are 3-1 against the other "top" 5 schools of the SEC. None of the others have more than one win against the big boys of the SEC. I still hope FSU beats the snot out of them.

Over-rated are the other 8 schools in the conference. The ones that have played a whopping 7 out of conference games against other BCS schools.

I always liked Riley Skinner

Nov 14, 2012, 3:18 PM

glad he found a job that has something to do with sports. although if he's gonna be on T.V. he needs to work on that lisp lol

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its not the computers, its the human polls esp preseason

Nov 14, 2012, 3:23 PM

Remember, the humans are 2/3rds of the rankings. The reason there are 6 SEC teams in a row is 2-fold.

Pre-season:
UGA started off the season overrated compared to what they played last year.
LSU started off the season too high and never dropped even after very lackluster showings and losses.

Over-rating
TAMU made a jump beyond any reasonable expectations after beating Bama. (TAMU might be as good as advertised, but they struggled early so it looks like they made too big of a jump in 1 week)
UF was given the benefit of the doubt after beating LSU.

South Carolina, as much as I hate to admit it, deserves to be where they are based on what they did last year and up to this point.

The SEC weighting is not the computers, its the human polls that overrated them at the beginning of the season. Had they waited until mid-oct to rate the teams, the polls might have looked a lot different.

Jimbo's mad? They lost to 6-4 NCSU, who has a

Nov 14, 2012, 3:35 PM

Sagarin of 67. Clemson has an argument

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Re: Jimbo's mad? They lost to 6-4 NCSU, who has a

Nov 14, 2012, 4:54 PM

You can look at it both ways.

FSU beat us (we're 22 in Sagarin), while the best team we've beaten is Georgia Tech (56)

Bad loss for them. Acceptable loss for Clemson***

Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Calm down people....if Clemson and Fsu continue..

Nov 14, 2012, 6:19 PM

to win, it will take care of itself-BCS.

Re: Football Update: All Riled Up: FSU and Clemson deserve better in BCS rankings

Nov 14, 2012, 7:18 PM

It is up to us and to FSU to take care of our business. It will be poetic justice for us to win out in fine fashion, and the ESecheatPN home boys to limp through the rest of the season. Actions talk and the BcS walks.

Just Win baby, Win***

Nov 14, 2012, 9:05 PM

Nm

Re: You tell 'em Jimbo!!***

Nov 15, 2012, 10:18 AM

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic