Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bad Press ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Bad Press ?

Aug 29, 2016, 10:10 AM

What is going on at my Alma Mater ? I am watching Fox and Friends this morning and hear that Clemson University has only certain free speech zones on campus . An individual was told they couldn't pray because they were not in a free speech zone . Our Founding Fathers put free speech in the First Amendment for a reason . They intended for all citizens to be able to express their views throughout the nation ....not just in certain areas. As long as your speech is not inciting public chaos we are all free to express ourselves ...even in prayer . I intend to let my views be known to the administration. What are we teaching our young people about freedom with misguided and unConstitutional actions such as no prayer zones.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bad Press ?

Aug 29, 2016, 10:18 AM

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I heard, he may have been inciting a little bit of public chaos.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I go back and forth on free speech zones.

Aug 29, 2016, 10:19 AM

I do think it is unconstitutional to declare an area off limits to speak freely. However, on the other hand, I don't want constant protesting to impede the ability of my son to actually learn productive subject matter. Daily blockage of classroom buildings and entrances easily defeats the original purpose of a university.

Though this may not be an apt analogy, there is a gas station on my way home from work that I would use to fill the car. I was approached by a homeless/transcent/bum..whatever you want to call him harassing me for money. Every time I stopped at that gas station, the same thing would happen, always a different beggar. Ocasionally I used to give a hand out, but it got to the point that I abandoned that station as a regular stop. I no longer buy gas at that station, the panhandlers no longer have me to harass, and I don't have the convenience I once enjoyed.

Basically I am saying that OVER-expression ends up hurting everybody.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I go back and forth on free speech zones.

Aug 29, 2016, 11:07 AM

I agree that if someone was impeding the normal flow of traffic that action should have been taken. When you do that you have exceeded your right to peacefully protest. Much like these protesters that lay down in the streets and jump on cars and set them ablaze. That is NOT FREE SPEECH ,...that is lawlessness. Even though some of our Founders , the Sons of Liberty specifically , participated in some acts of defiance they did so in response to the tyranny of a King and parliament without means of redress . We have means of redress in our Country today , thanks to those Sons of Liberty.

Aug 29, 2016, 1:41 PM

Who was protesting? The guy had a sign that said prayer if you wanted to stop and pray with him you could if not you just went on by. That is not protesting that was not preaching and that was not holding a tent revival. We are slowly but surely losing our rights and to many people are ok with it!

Aug 30, 2016, 2:00 AM

Our rights are being taken away with more laws taking there place!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2016, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: I go back and forth on free speech zones. ]

I agree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to..

Aug 29, 2016, 2:01 PM [ in reply to I go back and forth on free speech zones. ]

to them receive many curses"

Proverbs 28:27

Re: "Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to..

Aug 30, 2016, 9:13 AM

The truth of the matter is panhandlers are looking for cash to fuel their addictions. The money goes straight to alcohol/drugs/tobacco. You're not helping a poor person by handing cash to a panhandler.

Doubt me? Call one on his/her sales pitch and see what happens. Example: guy approaches you at the gas pump saying, "Brother, can you spare $5 for food? I'm hungry." You say, "There's a McDonalds right across the road. I'll get you a combo and be right back." He'll say 100% of the time, "Just give me the cash." He'll have some excuse why he can't wait for you to get back with the food he so desperately "needs."

The fact is, nearly every community has provisions for the poor to get food. In most cities of any size whatsoever, a homeless person can eat three meals a day 365 days/yr. There is a big difference between a person in need and a panhandler.

Now, if the guy says, "Thank you, I'll wait here for the food," then by all means feed him. You won't likely get that response, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I am returning my diploma

Aug 29, 2016, 10:24 AM

It is no longer something of honor, but a shameful sheet of paper. I am retired and no longer need it for employment purposes so I don't recommend this to everyone. The day I was supposed to receive the diploma I was at Ft.Gordon serving in the army. I spent 28 years of my life defending the Constitution and didn't realize it only applied where some "intellectual" decides it does.

This is a total disgrace to Clemson, and all the men and women who have served in the military. Why is it named Memorial Stadium? Why do we have a wall of honor?

In addition to returning my diploma I will be asking to be removed from all alumni lists, especially those asking for money.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Before you do so

Aug 29, 2016, 10:49 AM

please be sure that you research the actual situation and not just what Fox News is reporting. From what I understand, the school official did not simply stop a man from praying on campus. They stopped him from organizing a gathering in a certain area. The school has already said that the man is welcome to have an organized gathering on campus, but he must follow the same rules as any other organized gathering. Clemson does not have a problem with anyone stopping to pray on campus. If Clemson did not stop this from happening then it would show a bias toward religion versus other political gatherings.

Use your head please. Clemson University has been criticized for allowing too much religious gatherings on campus and specifically within the football program. Why would they all of a sudden ban prayer in certain areas?

Re: Before you do so

Aug 29, 2016, 11:00 AM

Well said. All that had to be done was to fill out the paperwork and get it approved. The guy who said he had to leave provided him with the appropriate paperwork during that conversation.

Good to know***

Aug 29, 2016, 11:01 AM

Seems like someone is td'ing any post that isn't outraged. Tu to you.

Aug 29, 2016, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Before you do so ]

My best guess is that if a Black Lives Matter group were approached the same way and asked to move, the same people outraged would be applauding the university officials. Just a hunch..
Nothing wrongwith having demonstration areas that don't impede daily activities for whoever wants to speak freely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Seems like someone is td'ing any post that isn't outraged. Tu to you.

Aug 29, 2016, 1:44 PM

The guy was not protesting anything or impeding anybody's progress. why does someone need a safe zone?

Re: Before you do so

Aug 30, 2016, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Before you do so ]

You have to fill out a piece of paper to pray???? SAD

Just a false story from right wingers drumming up fear***

Aug 29, 2016, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Before you do so ]

Then check the video yourself...it is a real story

Aug 30, 2016, 10:33 AM

The administrator tells the pray'ers that this is not a free speech area!?! Wake up!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some dumbarse TDed you for telling the truth.

Aug 30, 2016, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Before you do so ]

Facts are just not welcome to some people. Challenging their knee-jerk thinking is just not acceptable. Agreement only, please.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I'll take overreacting for $600, Alex***

Aug 29, 2016, 10:59 AM [ in reply to I am returning my diploma ]

AND, the answer is:

Aug 29, 2016, 11:01 AM

?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll take overreacting for $600, Alex***

Aug 29, 2016, 11:24 AM [ in reply to I'll take overreacting for $600, Alex*** ]

With all that is going on in our Country today ,...especially a Federal government that all but ignores the US Constitution it is easy to overreact. The fact that many American universities today do not allow conservative political viewpoints to be expressed not only on campus by others but also in the classroom ....it is easy to overreact.

Lol...oh boy. Thank you for defending my right

Aug 29, 2016, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I am returning my diploma ]

Not to listen to these bible thumping morans.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Lol...oh boy. Thank you for defending my right

Aug 29, 2016, 1:45 PM

Bible thumping Morans? You are so tolerant and enlightened.

Thank you.***

Aug 30, 2016, 10:46 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

shouldn't believe everything you hear from the right wing echo chamber***

Aug 29, 2016, 2:02 PM [ in reply to I am returning my diploma ]

Sir, with all due respect.....

Aug 29, 2016, 2:05 PM [ in reply to I am returning my diploma ]

There's no "e" at the end of "old".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never had anyone ask if they could see my diploma.***

Aug 30, 2016, 11:57 AM [ in reply to I am returning my diploma ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2016, 10:25 AM

What has this got to do with Tiger football?

Aug 29, 2016, 10:54 AM

I know I, along with many, many others will be praying on Clemson's campus on game days!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2016, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Bad Press ? ]

Some issues transcend ....EVEN FOOTBALL.

There's a board for that. Hence asking why its posted on a football board.***

Aug 29, 2016, 11:38 AM

null

Re: There's a board for that. Hence asking why its posted on a football board.***

Aug 29, 2016, 1:47 PM

please! It is worthy of discussion and this is not a saftey zone. If you don't wanna read it then don't click on it and don't read it.

First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ...

Aug 29, 2016, 11:57 AM

Second: stop watching "Fox & Friends"

I can make a third if you like, but it won't be any different.

Re: First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ...

Aug 29, 2016, 1:49 PM

Fox is the only channel that even comes close to telling the truth or at least giving both sides.

Re: First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ...

Aug 29, 2016, 1:50 PM

I watch FNC, but they aren't always fair ... like the lopsided way they reported this story.

you must be on a lot of dope***

Aug 29, 2016, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ... ]

Truth has two sides?

Aug 29, 2016, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ... ]

Do tell.

I don't think that's true. Fox gives the right spin, the

Aug 30, 2016, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ... ]

others give the left spin. Ask a democrat what they think of Fox News and they will tell you the exact same thing that a republican tells you about CNN etc.

CNN etc...

Aug 30, 2016, 11:36 AM

You just made my point right there. FoxNews is the only right-leaning news outlet (mainstream at least. Not talking about local stations). It is not a state secret that the media has a liberal bias. The point I am trying to make is that FoxNews is not a racist, conspiracy theory instigating, hate channel. Is it right-leaning? Yes. Does being right-leaning make it racist? Apparently so these days according to the PC police, unfortunately.

This was the funniest thing I've read today.***

Aug 30, 2016, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: First: stop watching "Fox & Friends" ... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Remember the Harcomb Preacher that would

Aug 29, 2016, 1:46 PM

yell at us and tell us all we were going to Hades...good times

Re: Remember the Harcomb Preacher that would

Aug 30, 2016, 12:09 PM

This post brought up the exact same memory for me. Where did that guy go?

It's a made up story by Fox News based off of conspiracy theories...

Aug 29, 2016, 1:54 PM

pushed by the white supremacist alt right

You use scripture to support your misguided arguments...

Aug 30, 2016, 1:22 AM

...yet rail against scripture in the same manner when it suits you. Hypocrisy much?

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: It's a made up story by Fox News based off of conspiracy theories...

Aug 30, 2016, 9:00 AM [ in reply to It's a made up story by Fox News based off of conspiracy theories... ]

So, in all honesty, you believe that this story is "made up by Fox News based off of conspiracy theories pushed by the white supremacist alt right"? I assume you also think that George Bush planned 9/11, Michael Brown was not a threat, and the mainstream media outlets are not actively trying to get Clinton elected?

Aug 30, 2016, 2:09 AM

Didn't read the whole thread but is the middle of 385 during rush hour a free speech zone? Asking for a friend.

TIA

I can't help but wonder..

Aug 30, 2016, 7:55 AM

if the guy had been a Muslim or a Satanist, how different the sides would be on this argument?

Re: I can't help but wonder..

Aug 30, 2016, 11:50 AM

NO way they would him if he threw a freaking blanket on the ground.

Christians are bound to God not to man.

Aug 30, 2016, 9:26 AM

Our mission is one of love not of hate. If someone claiming to be a Christian is screaming 'helll fire and brimstone,' his nature is questionable to me for God never screamed 'Helll fire,' to move me, He always whispered "I love you."

If this does not relate to the story then please forgive my interjection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2016, 10:20 AM

people watch fox and friends?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2016, 12:05 PM

Yes. Some of us like to get our information from right-leaning sources too. Unfortunately for left-wingers, there are still a few that remain.

No news outlet is innocent when it comes to pushing agenda / bias. That's why I think it takes a sample of all of them to find a little truth.

Aug 30, 2016, 10:37 AM

You apparently haven't been harassed by these religious nut Jobs walking to class before when you're minding your own business... The idea is they can do their publicity stunt in an dedicated to free speech that doesn't impede other people... Gasp!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a moron if you trust Fox News.

Aug 30, 2016, 11:44 AM

I'm sure it's been discussed but is there any truth to the report that some guy tried to pray on campus and was told it "wasn't a free speech zone"?

I think something isn't right about the story. Not sorry if Germans.

This was done by a group that goes around

Aug 30, 2016, 11:52 AM

causing disturbances at different public places and then films the reaction to say their rights have been violated. They have no affiliation with the school, don't believe in any true cause, and are usually causing a disturbance to a public place that used for higher learning or public business. They are just trying to get attention.
They leave out the parts where they have been nicely asked to submit paperwork so that their organization can gain the access they desire.
What they are doing is against the state "disturbing of schools" statute, and they should be arrested.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic