Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BSB Update: Clemson ranked #7 Baseball Program in last decade
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

BSB Update: Clemson ranked #7 Baseball Program in last decade

Jun 12, 2015, 12:02 PM

Clemson ranked #7 Baseball Program in last decade

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well we have fixed that problem.***

Jun 12, 2015, 12:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

How? We want excel over the coots, but we spend 1/2 the $'s

Jun 12, 2015, 2:47 PM

the other facts may be questioned but not the dollars spent. I will be pulling hard for the new coach,
but until "things" are fixed, it will be very hard on him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha.***

Jun 12, 2015, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Well we have fixed that problem.*** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RPI is a terrible baseball stat

Jun 12, 2015, 12:20 PM

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/rpi-analysis-requires-a-closer-look/

There is no perfect ranking system, but for the most part

Jun 13, 2015, 5:10 PM

the RPI gives a good indication of a team's worth. Keep in mind, it's based only on the regular season. They may include conference tourney play, but that's only a few games and won't make much if any real difference.

null

lol at Oregon. Spending tons of money, ave RPI of 66. Of course, they

Jun 12, 2015, 12:22 PM

clobbered us 18-1 at the Nashville Regional.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

RE-HIRE JACK!

Jun 12, 2015, 12:22 PM

Wait ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

#RHJ***

Jun 12, 2015, 12:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

If we are the #8 Winningest program, who did we jump for #7?

Jun 12, 2015, 12:37 PM

da#% ACC bias at its finest ;)

Best Is The Standard

It is NOT basd on wins or outcomes, just regular season RPI***

Jun 13, 2015, 3:13 PM

null

Dang we should fire whoever was in charge the last decade

Jun 12, 2015, 1:10 PM

oh wait.....

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a Clemson man through and through, but SCAR ...

Jun 12, 2015, 2:09 PM

... appeared in three straight CWS championship series and won two of them in the last decade and is ranked 15th?

That tells me how little credence I need to give this ranking.

this ranking factors in financial disadvantages.***

Jun 12, 2015, 2:27 PM

No it does not. Cal State barely spends $1m/yr but they are

Jun 13, 2015, 3:04 PM

second only to Texas (8 vs. 7) in CWS trips since the current format started in 1999.

Winning in college baseball is a combination of coaching AND talent, not money and facilities.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17354202

null

can you please list all the other low funded baseball

Jun 13, 2015, 3:46 PM

programs that are consistently finishing in the Top 15. You keep mentioning Cal State (I assume Fullerton) but a single outlier does not disprove a correlation between finances and success. Since you clearly believe that there is no correlation you should also be able to find top spending programs producing poor results. You have cherry picked a very unique program to try to validate your assertion and would love to see some more evidence. CSF has been playing baseball less than 40 years and was founded by what is arguably the greatest college baseball coach of all time. They also happen to be in as recruiting rich an area as any school in the country. The Garrido legacy looms large and most kids in California aren't looking to go play in Texas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I listed multiple teams that outspent us with a lower RPI.

Jun 13, 2015, 5:01 PM

And I showed a few teams that spend around $1m but had huge spreads in their RPI. The OP said he counted about 25 teams that outspent us, but our rank was #7. But, to the best of my knowledge, RPI rankings are regular season only. Jack, like OP, can get us into the post season, but we rarely did well under them in the ACC or NCAA tourney.

I posted my observations based on the numbers. If you don't like it, prove me wrong. All the data is listed. Go see for yourself.

The analysis rewards consistency during the regular season, not overall success. You have to understand their methodology to understand the results. But a team with an average RPI of 15 going into the post season should go to the super regionals almost every year and the CWS more than 2x over those 10 years. That would be like a team being a #4 seed in the NCAA BB Tourney every year but rarely getting to the Sweet 16. Their coach would be catching heck, a la Rick Barnes.

And it's not based on just voluntary reporting. The use public records including IRS filings.

This is another case of you not liking the truth and trying to discredit the messenger or data.

http://www.valuepenguin.com/2015/06/best-college-baseball-programs-past-decade

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17354917

null

Re: I listed multiple teams that outspent us with a lower RPI.

Jun 13, 2015, 5:32 PM

I can't disprove what hasn't been proven. You're the one arguing against the credibility of the study. As for the reliability of the data please read the "cautionary statement" here http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/. All of these athletic department studies are based on voluntary reportings. I really doubt the bloggers who put this together are hiring forensic accountants to review the budgets. If they reviewed IRS filings it still doesn't mean they have a detailed breakdown of department spending. Have you ever reviewed a corporate tax return? They are grabbing broad strokes to paint the besy picture they can. IPTAY numbers are never included in these figures which usually accounts for the a large chunk of the disparity of South Carolina and Clemson's numbers. And to what end to you need to keep the bashing going? He's gone. You won. God forbid an entity completey unconcerned with Clemson published an article that might create an illusion that Leggett was anything less than an average coach. And just because he averaged 15 in RPI does not mean he should be in Super Regional every year. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you know how averages work better than that and are simply trying to slide it by everyone in your relentless quest to his besmirch Coach Leggett.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK ............

Jun 13, 2015, 10:50 PM

1. Not bashing Jack, you just don't like the facts. I was making an observation based on the study. We have a great regular season RPI under Jack, but he sucks in the post season. It is what it is. The truth hurts.

2. You don't read & comprehend worth a d@mn if you think I'm arguing against the credibility of the study. I perfectly understand the methodology and what they were trying to accomplish and think it provides very interesting results. And it proves that money beyond roughly $1m/year is NOT a big factor in overall success, especially in regards to post season play and championships.

You tried to discredit the study by acting like my examples were outliers, which they were not, and you keep trying to discredit the monetary numbers. What rock have you been living under? Every year "Shakin' The Southland" does an analysis of the line item AD budget submitted to the SC Legislature, as required by law. They also examine the IPTAY budget. Most years they don't even have to file a FOIA request because Becky Bowman gives it to them. This data is also given to the ACC, and the CUAD files tax returns. All of this info is available to the public for every public school. The ACC usually provides macro data for all conference schools, which gives us accurate budgets for the private schools by sport. Other websites for other schools and USA Today do the same thing allowing programs to be compared.

Here are some examples ...

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/3/7/2845152/iptay-finances-and-cuad-budget-fy11

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/3/20/2880533/financial-comparison-acc-athletic-department-budgets-10-11

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/3/22/2892299/financial-comparison-sec-athletic-department-budgets-10-11

null

Re: OK ............

Jun 13, 2015, 11:42 PM

I'm gonna try and just ask one question since we can't seem to have any kind of constructive dialogue. Can you find me any source anywhere that gives you a breakdown of Clemson or South Carolina's specific expenditures on their baseball program? Shaking the Southland doesn't do it and the link to the dept of Ed findings have some baseball numbers but are dramatically lower than the budget numbers in the article for either school. Tax returns are similarly not going to provide you much detail. Thinking they would tell you what they spend on baseball is like thinking I could figure out the route you drive to work because you deduct mileage. Salaries and expenditures are lumped together across a variety of sports - as you'd see if you look at the link in the article. Most states, including SC, make high earning state salaries public record - so you could look some costs up that way. But even that would only be base salary - if you look Leggett up he was $210,000 not the $400,000 he was actually paid. But, ultimately, it is a jigsaw puzzle.

Re: OK ............

Jun 14, 2015, 3:35 PM

It's hard to have a conversation when one person wants to stick their head in the sand and tries to discredit everyone and everything counter to the their view.

To get an exact breakdown you would need our line item budget, which anyone can get via FOIA. STS get's it from Katie Hill every year (I wrote Becky Bowman earlier but meant Katie Hill) and they do a detailed analysis. Unfortunately they lump the Olympic sports together. At a school like Clemson and conference like the ACC where baseball, soccer, and even golf are followed closely by fans it would be interesting to see STS do some detailed analysis comparing those sports to the rest of the ACC, SEC, and top programs nationally.

The information is out there. Schools are required to provide it and the NCAA and each conference provide data. People writing these reports do this for a living. Sources like "USA Today" get the official budgets via FOIA. Even if there are some discrepancies I'm confident the totals are pretty accurate. Certainly accurate enough to make comparisons among programs and conferences. Just look at the numbers comparing average SEC to ACC program. The SEC outspends the ACC by more than double, but the two conferences are pretty much even based on RPI, tourney hostings, and participation in the CWS. Access to talent is pretty much equal except for Miami's Latin pipeline.

Therefore, the numbers clearly show that beyond a certain point there is no significant advantage to spending money. Only a handful of programs spend $3m or more. There really aren't that many programs outspending us.

If there were only a few good coaches or great players, then the few uber rich programs would have a huge advantage, but baseball is a different animal. FB & BB require huge sums of money due to facilities and staff. FB is heavily QB centric and you have to be highly successful in a major conference to have realistic championship hopes. In BB a great team can be built around 2 or 3 players. Baseball is far less high profile and the best players typically skip college and turn pro. And there are very few blacks in college baseball.

Let's face it, college baseball is a warm weather, white, middle class sport. That means there is a ton of talent to go around for schools with the right geographic address. Academics and coaching are bigger factors than an extra million because each team can only have a limited roster and a few coaches. Once you get into post season play money is no factor at all because all you need is two solid pitchers to win a championship. That's why a talent rich region like the south can have a bunch of tiny schools go the NCAA tourney. Liberty and Coastal will never play for an NCAA FB championship and it would take a near miracle for them to get to the Sweet 16. But in college baseball there are always plenty of small schools earning their way into the tourney. And there is almost always at least 1 small program in the CWS. A few years ago SC put 6 or 7 schools in the regionals. Creighton and The Citadel will never be in the Final Four or win a football championship, but both have been to Omaha.

If money bought championships, Oregon, Texas, OK State, and Michigan would be in the top 5 every football season.

The numbers in this report look pretty similar to the other report. And I've seen some other studies posted on TNET with similar numbers.
http://diycollegerankings.com/how-much-do-d1-colleges-spend-on-baseball-programs/2505/

By the way, here is an excellent read on why Jack had to go. Our problems are not money nor talent. Our problem is/was coaching.
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150409/PC0312/150409332/1032/from-bad-to-worse-clemson-baseball-historically-lost-at-home

This pretty much sums it up ...
http://www.independentmail.com/orange-and-white/another-early-postseason-exit-could-bring-major-changes-to-clemson-baseball_70723931

A year after Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich outlined an offseason plan for coach Jack Leggett to improve the baseball program, the Tigers went 0-2 in the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive season.

Clemson, which also lost 7-4 to Arizona State on Friday, went 32-29 in the regular season and 1-2 in the ACC Tournament after nearly missing that event. The Tigers then slipped into the NCAA Tournament as the last team in but fell to 1-6 in the last three regional appearances.

Clemson’s home attendance declined for the second consecutive season.

Speaking of Katie Hill, I thought this was a nice article from 2012. Much of this we already knew, but her baseball, swimming, and golf comments were interesting and show the importance of baseball to our bottom line, which reinforces why Jack had to go. Getting the perspective of those in the AD and seeing their thought process is always interesting.
http://www.independentmail.com/news/finance-chief-clemson-sports-is-a-business-sort

One thing a new coach almost always does is create excitement around a program and increase donations & attendance. At Clemson the obvious exception is Ken Hatfield. That hire went over like a lead zeppelin. Falling attendance gets coaches fired and getting 10% of our revenue from baseball is big. CU baseball has been "standing room only" since the early 80's even with several stadium expansions. We can't have a third straight season of declining attendance and quick post season exit.

null

Because you don't understand the study, It's your

Jun 13, 2015, 3:00 PM [ in reply to I'm a Clemson man through and through, but SCAR ... ]

average RPI over 10 years relative to average annual budget. It doesn't factor in conference championships, the NCAA tourney, CWS championships, or ever W/L record.

They did a poor job explaining the study. This was discussed at length yesterday with a link to the report. Read my posts. Money is not a major factor in success after about $1m/year.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17354202

null

Sure doesn't feel that way, but we forget that nearly every

Jun 12, 2015, 2:26 PM

Team with a higher peak than us during that time has a lower dip too. Either way there is no doubt that the vocal anti-leggett people will never allow this to be considered legitimate on any level. After all, this is no debate, it's a shouting match.

Actually we did in fact under achieve. With an average RPI

Jun 13, 2015, 3:11 PM

of 15 we should have made the super regionals almost every year and the CWS regularly. Jack tended to do good during the regular season, but sucked in the ACC & NCAA Tourney. RPI is based on the regular season. It is not that hard to get into the NCAA baseball & BB tourney with 64+ teams. Jack & OP sucked when it mattered worst. As DRad said, at Clemson we expect to win championships, not be happy just to get to the tourney then stink it up.

null

Re: Actually we did in fact under achieve. With an average RPI

Jun 13, 2015, 6:10 PM

Not really fair to compare OP's 3 years of one and dones after building the program from #### to Jack's two decades of underachieving in the postseason.

Re: Sure doesn't feel that way, but we forget that nearly every

Jun 13, 2015, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Sure doesn't feel that way, but we forget that nearly every ]

It's important to note that the financial data used is highly suspect also (and the equity report says as much). It's all based on voluntary reporting. So how costs are attributed to baseball can be different from school to school. And in Clemson and South Carolina's case it clearly doesn't include major capital expenditures like Carolina Stadium or renovations to Doug Kingsmore. Carolina Stadium alone would have cost nearly the entire budget for the $3.7 mill/year for ten years. Yet, their game day operations alone are over $600,000.

Depends on if the NCAA and ACC start accepting this metric.

Jun 14, 2015, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Sure doesn't feel that way, but we forget that nearly every ]

When we turn into the coots and start awarding rings for obscure metrics, we can begin with this 7th place finish.

USC cheated in a big way. Then NCAA closed that unintended

Jun 14, 2015, 3:38 PM

loophole.

null

No worries, the new guy will save us...***

Jun 12, 2015, 6:25 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic