Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I’ve been surprised by how many people here wanted the names changed.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

I’ve been surprised by how many people here wanted the names changed.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:31 PM

Methinks a lot of it is because Nuk and Deshaun petitioned for it. I don’t remember this much support for changing names when it was discussed here in the past. The typical response then was that liberals need to stop whining about it, and get over it.

Heck, pretty much anytime someone suggests something that goes against a uniquely Clemson tradition, that person gets blasted (e.g., my suggestion that we eliminate the orange overalls from football games because it is a bad look in 2020).

The tone has changed a lot this time around. Now, anyone who doesn’t support changing names is racist and lacks empathy. It has been a very interesting about-face to observe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

they all got woke by 2 pro football players***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:33 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program

Jun 12, 2020, 3:34 PM

than they are about Clemson University. I hope I’m wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Some are more worried about honoring the Confederacy than

Jun 12, 2020, 3:38 PM

Clemson University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think it has anything to do with the Confederacy.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:45 PM

It’s about honoring those who were essential to the existence of Clemson University.

I personally don’t have a problem with your opinion that the names should be changed. That’s certainly your right. What I do have a problem with is your implication that anyone who disagrees is a racist.

Only in your mind.***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Only in your mind.***

Jun 12, 2020, 6:29 PM

NO I think Judge Keller is correct.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you're fighting to keep Ben Tillman's name on a

Jun 12, 2020, 5:53 PM [ in reply to I don’t think it has anything to do with the Confederacy. ]

building...THEN you might be a rascist

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BS not racist to dislike BOT being extorted by a couple

Jun 12, 2020, 7:04 PM

pf pro athletes.

What does the Confederacy have to do with JCC?***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Some are more worried about honoring the Confederacy than ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What does the Confederacy have to do with JCC?***

Jun 12, 2020, 6:30 PM

or Tillman

You sir have hit the nail on the head 5 stars matter!***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:38 PM [ in reply to It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program ]

Re: It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program

Jun 12, 2020, 4:23 PM [ in reply to It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program ]

I'm actually less worried about the football program than I've been in quite some time, because I care less about the program now than I have, probably ever. I personally like the move back to "Old Main" - I've preferred it to Tillman ever since I learned more about Ben Tillman's history... plus I think that the name "Old Main" has a cool ring to it. And as someone with a freshman about to enter the Honors College this fall, I can't really complain about it being called the "Clemson University Honors College" - that's what it is. I do have a problem with the timing of these changes, and wish that they'd taken place before now because I hate the appearance that some woke students and a couple of ex-football players caused it to happen (and certainly aren't done demanding things yet), but whatever - nothing I can do about it.

I care less about the football program now because I've come to realize what I should have realized all along. When it comes down to it, a good number of these players don't really give a #### about Clemson University, the school. They're just mercenaries, going to the place that gives them the best "stuff" - facilities, coaching, notoriety, whatever. I'm not aware of many (if any) current or recent ex-players being bothered to stand up publicly for Clemson as a school or the Clemson people as a whole during all of this. And not very many have even bothered to stand up for their head coach when he was being vilified by the press and others - even though they supposedly love him so much and despite all that he's tried to do for them.

So that's fine. I was already finding my interest in college sports waning as they become more like pro sports, and now I feel like the university that I care about has been needlessly dragged through the mud by people that really don't give a #### about it. I'll continue to root for them and hope they win. I just doubt that I'll care as much when they lose - and I certainly won't buy into the idea that our players are somehow different and really care as much for Clemson as much as I do.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:39 PM

@ugaTiger you are a great young man to speak your mind with solid strong beliefs given today’s liberal environment. I salute you.

I was an athlete in college and heavily invested for many years into Clemson sports. I too am finding that I am much less interested. Even though Clemson seems to be a conservative leaning institution from the outside, I believe all universities have the liberal disease inside that is spreading fast.

Never forget the fundamentals, they are forever truths.
-Don’t give them fish, teach them to fish.

-Propaganda, today’s main stream media, is very powerful and can make even smart people believe very stupid things. Think of German citizens in the 1930s, members of the most advanced, disciplined, educated society on the planet, and a few years later they are marching women and children to their death in gas chambers. These are today’s liberals who are buying into everything they hear.
-Your family is most important. sadly everyone else you think are friends will drop you in a minute when it’s tough.
-Listen to Reagan’s speeches in the 70s and 80s. The same speeches are appropriate today.
-Big government is inherently bad in all ways. It converts good Democrats to bad ones and good Republicans to bad ones equally. The only way to make it less bad is to make it smaller.
-know how to think. Liberals believe they know what to think, and the what comes from the opinions of others, the liberal elites.

A lot of liberals have the opinions they do because they are genuinely good people and want to help. The problem is they do not know what they promote will actually make the situation worse for blacks.

Taking the confederate flag down from the South Carolina state house didn’t matter, just like renaming Tillman and Calvin college will not matter. these are not root causes and they are not fundamental problems until the dividers point them out and make them issues.

It’s a shame so many white people have guilt even though they should not.

Be strong.

How dare you spout common sense in here that's not allowed***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:43 PM

Jun 12, 2020, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program ]

Very thoughtful response and I agree with you on most points. You are either going to be oldest freshman in history or you are wise beyond your years.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:09 PM

cu1981fans said:

Very thoughtful response and I agree with you on most points. You are either going to be oldest freshman in history or you are wise beyond your years.

Thanks - but it’s my kid who is entering the Honors College in the fall, not me! ??

Jun 12, 2020, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program ]

Excellent statement

I support the athletes, otherwise I say let them all go to

Jun 12, 2020, 6:41 PM [ in reply to It feels like some people here are more worried about the football program ]

historically black colleges and give said named colleges all the privileges that the major colleges and universities like Clemson have enjoyed.

How do you feel about this? Not flaming, just curious....

Re: I support the athletes, otherwise I say let them all go to

Jun 12, 2020, 8:40 PM

historically black colleges and give said named colleges all the privileges that the major colleges and universities like Clemson have enjoyed.

How do you feel about this? Not flaming, just curious....

Not sure if you’re addressing your question to me, or if I really understand it. But I’ll answer. I really don’t care where they go. If they want to come to Clemson for a great and totally free education and take advantage of all of the wonderful opportunities provided, that’s great. If they can’t feel good about being at Clemson for whatever reason or if they want to go to a HBCU, go there instead. All I’m saying is that I no longer care to support all this as much as I once did. Just my opinion.

Re: I’ve been surprised by how many people here wanted the names changed.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:38 PM

So as Pres Clements noted, these changes have been under review since 2018. I would like to think they would have made the same decision next month as had been scheduled if we had not been going through all this nation wide upheaval. Probably I’m naive but still this is the right decision by the BOT.

I call BS it's an emotional reaction. gotta follow the herd***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:40 PM

Jun 12, 2020, 3:39 PM

It seems to me that so many are jumping on the "I'm not racist, you are" bandwagon. No one wants to be called racist so they are quick to agree with whatever the flavor of the day is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's called pandering!***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:41 PM

Re: It's called pandering!***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:38 PM

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Followed by a healthy dose of groveling.

Isn't it a good thing that people don't want to be racist

Jun 12, 2020, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: I’ve been surprised by how many people here wanted the names changed. ]

or give the appearance that they are supporting or enabling them?

Everything changes over time I guess

Jun 12, 2020, 3:46 PM

Remember when Tiger Band only played John Philip Sousa tunes?

Gamecocks being losers will never change. Bank on it

Re: Isn't it a good thing that people don't want to be racist

Jun 12, 2020, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Isn't it a good thing that people don't want to be racist ]

It's a great thing not to want to be racist but barking at everybody that you're not and calling everyone else one is not.

If it quacks like a duck...it's usually a duck***

Jun 12, 2020, 5:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Isn't it a good thing that people don't want to be racist

Jun 12, 2020, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Isn't it a good thing that people don't want to be racist ]

You mean don't want to be called racist which is different

Jun 12, 2020, 3:44 PM

You are correct but the bottom line is..the BOT doesn't give a
rat's behind what the Tigernet posters think. If you start a
protest and embarked on the presidential residence, you would
get the same results that the protestors for Danny got. I guess
we can just suck it up and just hope we tee it up in the fall.

Lifes a bit#h and then we die.

Message was edited by: irmotig®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

really don't care about the name change

Jun 12, 2020, 3:44 PM

It's more about extortion for change. Everyone is reacting to groups that are destroying property, business and lives. If violence is the answer, okay. I'm ready and armed.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: really don't care about the name change

Jun 12, 2020, 4:46 PM

Ditto tigercook. Just bought his hers sig P320s and got my other guns from a relative. This is bull$hit.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:56 PM

when I was in school, too long ago, I didn't give a rats ### what things were called, as I had other things occupying my mind, girls, partying, classes, did I mention girls? the traditions I remember were about culture, family, and new friends while I was there, it seems to me a lot of the "outrage" is from people who have left the school... does it really matter what names are assigned to buildings? (how many of you know about 1/2 the buildings are named after past school presidents?) traditions are merely peer pressure from the past... seriously, 20 years from now, no one will care.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:00 PM

I agree, I've never cared if the name changed because I didn't know anyone was effected by it nor had I ever looked into who it was named after. But with Nuk and Deshaun speaking about it I went in and realized there's a lot of people who feel negatively about the name and because there's no negative impact to changing the name on me or anyone else I was fully in support of changing it. The power of people positively using their platform is amazing to open the eyes of people who can't see or don't see from another persons perspective.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:49 PM

Bless your heart.

Every heard of the farmers insurance slogan: we know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two.

You my friend have not seen a thing or two. You make the next conclusion.

This is a discussion that's been going on for years

Jun 12, 2020, 4:07 PM

It was a hot topic for a while in 2015. I was one of the only poasters here in favor of a name change back then.

Re: This is a discussion that's been going on for years

Jun 12, 2020, 4:16 PM

2015 was that bananagate?

bananagate was 2016***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:18 PM

Jun 12, 2020, 4:36 PM

I wonder how many people would have voted NOT to change the names compared to those who would have voted YES?????

Jun 12, 2020, 4:45 PM

Well lets not stop with these changes, after all Tom Clemson was a slave owner too, so lets just make it WRU so deshaun and nuk will be happy. Cant have Clemson University, its just wrong.
Dear God people, if you have a brain use it

Re:brains with common sense not allowed***

Jun 12, 2020, 5:31 PM

Jun 12, 2020, 4:52 PM

Well lets not stop with these changes, after all Tom Clemson was a slave owner too, so lets just make it WRU so deshaun and nuk will be happy. Cant have Clemson University, its just wrong.
Dear God people, if you have a brain use it

#woke***

Jun 12, 2020, 4:55 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judge, I have nothing against you personally but

Jun 12, 2020, 4:55 PM

you're horrible at reading the room.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Judge, I have nothing against you personally but

Jun 12, 2020, 5:04 PM

If you think you have heard the last of the PC demands, please take your cranium out of you cloaca, otherwise you will never see daylight again.

dude I get it...

Jun 12, 2020, 5:09 PM

I understand the whole SJW / overly virtuous backlash. I mean I am left of center and get annoyed with it too.

I just think that most people realize that Tillman got his name put on the building AFTER it was founded and decided to change it back, eh, good for them. I know everyone has their opinions. Just happens to be the majority in this case.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I changed my mind before TL, Nuk and DW

Jun 12, 2020, 5:12 PM

I listened to what some of our black friends were saying, put myself in their shoes, and decided that I was ok with the name changes.

I am not at all normally politically correct, but I understand how wussy some people are.

Re: I changed my mind before TL, Nuk and DW

Jun 12, 2020, 5:51 PM

In order to add insult to injury, I would like to remind all those concerned about history --- A Rose by any other name is still a Rose!!! It really doesn't matter what these entities are called, there will be many people who know that times have changed over the years and these people might have been dragged along behind kicking and screaming inside all the way. Why not name the Honors College "THE Honor College"? That would separate the members from all the revolutionaries!

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic