Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BRAD BROWNELL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

BRAD BROWNELL

Feb 6, 2017, 7:58 PM

I will always love Clemson and I always have, I was born in Seneca and moved to Clemson when I was a little over a year old. My family moved into Press Maravich’s house on Berry St. the same house that Bill Wilhelm lived in afterwards. I was destined to bleed orange eternally, and have my 85 ring to prove it. Clemson nation at that time loved to see our tigers do well but our main concern was football. Our college (before university status) at that time wanted all of our sports to do well but it was a period of time before we as a school decided it was important to fully fund all of our programs. This is the reason why a small rural town in the northeast corner of our state that has very little basketball tradition or that has gained any traction in our conference or nationally.
If you want to change the narrative on Clemson basketball, change the perception that the change can take a few years. No coach can come into a situation of little to no tradition and “fix it” unless he’s John Wooden and at last check there aren’t that many of those floating around. My suggestion is to pull hard for the tigers, every time they play and let Brad Brownell be to our basketball what Frank Beamer was to Va Tech football. I love the fact that we don’t get coach-speak from him and I believe he’s honest and cares. That in my opinion as well as a lot of time is what it will take. Developing a winning attitude and culture on our basketball court is a 9-12 year process at least.
There, I said it. I feel better. Go Tigers!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds like a stinker of a plan*****

Feb 6, 2017, 8:02 PM

Brad...Is that you?***

Feb 6, 2017, 8:12 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BRAD BROWNELL

Feb 6, 2017, 8:16 PM

While I like your ideal look at our program, I highly doubt that it will work. I don't believe that a "kumbaya" moment is the way to fix our program.

(And this is one of those moments where I don't mind being wrong).

How much more support does he need?

Re: BRAD BROWNELL well ?

Feb 6, 2017, 8:24 PM

I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the 1st time, all I'm saying is what else do you do? He's had a ton of bad luck and that could and hopefully will change sooner better than later.

When did

Feb 6, 2017, 8:26 PM

Clemson gain university status?

Feb 6, 2017, 8:26 PM

uh.....negative. that's not a plan. that's a horrific idea

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Brad Brownell is a bad basketball coach and needs to be

Feb 6, 2017, 8:29 PM

Replaced. There are no elite basketball or football programs only elite coaches, and they're dozens and dozens of examples of this in both sports. The notion that Clemson can recruit elite basketball talent because we didn't fully fund the program in the 50's and 60's is an excuse for losing, The University of Miami didn't have a team until 1980. Should they just not try? Metro Atlanta is loaded with talent every year and Clemson has everything they're use to having in suburban Atlanta. Do you really think they care about what we did or didn't do in 1960? Kids will come play for a coach they trust and respect and who has a vision. Take a look at the AP top 25 this week, a lot of those schools weren't basketball powers in the 60's. They've lots of coaches who could win at Clemson.

op - please read this response***

Feb 6, 2017, 8:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Good basketball players want to play for a coach who they

Feb 6, 2017, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Brad Brownell is a bad basketball coach and needs to be ]

believe can win big. It's that simple.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 6, 2017, 8:34 PM

If you earn the salary that he is paid it comes with the expectation of success on the court. It is what coaches know they are judged by; winning and losing. 7 years is an extremely generous amount of time to get the program headed upward which he was s-l-o-w-l-y doing until this giant step backwards season which includes recent league losses of by 32 points and 48 points.

Brad seems like a good guy but in my opinion he is just stealing money which could be spent on a coach who CAN be successful at Clemson.

Feb 6, 2017, 8:51 PM

I have a simple question for us fans and for Coach Brownell. What is our definition of success for MBB? For football, baseball, and golf it is ACC Champs, and regularly competing for National Championships. What do we expect for MBB? With our new investment in LJC, I think it is not unreasonable to expect post-season every year. That means NCAA or NIT.

It is like asking Duke FB and Duke MBB what is their goal. Cutcliffe is a hero if they go to a bowl game. Coach K's is expected to win ACC, ACC tourney and NC every year.

What is our expectation of MBB?

What is Coach Brownell's?

OT

Feb 6, 2017, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: BRAD BROWNELL ]

You people need to get a life the. Deep breath and pull for Clemson BB. ...Leonard Hamilton in his first 6 yrs at Fl St won 112 games. Brad in his first 6 yrs has won 107 games. ...longevity in coaching goes a long way in success...changing coaches every 5-7 yrs is no way to success ...so,all let's quit complaining and start supporting ...thank you for listening

Feb 6, 2017, 9:37 PM

the big difference between Hamilton and Brownell is that Hamilton came into a program that had won 46 games the previous 4 years, so he made significant improvements over his predecessor, and then won 25 games in year 7. Brownell came into a program that had won 93 games the previous 4 years, has taken a significant step back from his predecessor and is not going to win 25 games in year 7.

But, but but... CBB won a play-in game at the NCAA tourny

Feb 6, 2017, 10:05 PM

He's obviously great at X's and O's as he won his way to the 64 team tourny.

How do people not see Brad Brownell should have a LIFETIME contract?

So what if he's had the worse loss in school history? It was one of many losses he's had. So what if we haven't made the ACC championship final 4 or finished in the top third of the league? He won an NCAA game people! That one game put our basketball program on the map and you're just now starting to see the rewards!!!

The new facility - beautiful - wait until we use it to recruit. CBB's personality isn't close to Monte or Dabo, but he's clearly funny and when we lose he makes Super Bowl jokes (hahaha, the guy is a riot). Like when he's accountable by blaming players - he knows how to motivate. Granted Dabo and Monte never throw their players under the bus, but clearly CBB knows what it takes to motivate as you see every year we have a turnaround due to a "players only" meeting!

The fact is until we get a basketball slide CBB won't get over the hump. The slide was only a concept before Dabo won the Natty. If Brown-Lee got a slide, we still wouldn't win, but many on tigernet would come up with yet another reason why he couldn't win. Then we'd do that and we'd be one step closer to being in the tourny.

Our goals for the team are SIMPLE - Have a respectable program that can make the tourny. If we can do that, Littlejohn will be rockin'. CBB has done that one year (with COP's players even). What more do you people expect?

So basically give BB a lifetime contract? Uhh....NO***

Feb 6, 2017, 8:57 PM

Northeast corner of the state?

Feb 6, 2017, 8:57 PM

Are you talking about Cherry Grove Junior College?

So if our horse is the slowest one in the race

Feb 6, 2017, 9:49 PM

If we cheer for him hard enough he'll speed up ?

Feb 6, 2017, 10:09 PM

FYI...John Wooden arrived at UCLA in 1948. He didn't win his first National Championship until 1964. It took him 16 years. Most people don't realize that it took him that long. Also during that entire 16 year period, the Bruins had no facility on campus to play their home games. They had to hopscotch around Los Angeles playing in different venues. This made it very difficult to recruit top players (sound familiar?). Pauley Paviolion was not built until Lew Alcindor played his first year in 1966.

Of course, I'm not saying Brownell is another Wooden but sometimes patience is a virtue.

Are you serious?

Feb 6, 2017, 10:21 PM

Wooden won a ton at UCLA. During this "patient" stretch, he won the conference 8 of those years. Also, he never finished worse than 3rd in the conference. Lastly, he went to the tourny 5 different seasons (back when it was much fewer than 68 like it is today).

Who honestly thinks a CBB to CJW is a legit comparison? UCLA stuck with Wilbur Johns for 9 years. A Brad to Wilbur comparison makes total sense. Wilbur went 93-120; that is much more CBB's speed.

Re: Are you serious?

Feb 6, 2017, 10:46 PM

All valid points. And in no way am I comparing Brownell to Wooden...not in a million years. My main point was that most people think Wooden showed up at UCLA and immediately started winning national championships when, in fact , it took him many years to achieve that level of success.

I still do not follow

Feb 7, 2017, 1:03 AM

Brad is not even sniffing the tourny most years.

How does UCLA showing patience for a coach winning their conference relate to asking Clemson to be patient to a cellar dweller?

If Brad showed ANY progress, I know I'd be patient.

Two years ago I hear you. Today not so much.

Feb 6, 2017, 10:27 PM

I just don't see this working and hopeful that we'll be pro-active with things now that we're $65 Million in to a new (sic) arena and complex. Time to break on through.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2017, 10:29 PM

Northwest corner of state.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic