Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: The Day Bubba Ran Down Clemson's Hill With the Team... And Got Away With It
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

TNET: The Day Bubba Ran Down Clemson's Hill With the Team... And Got Away With It

Jul 20, 2020, 8:01 AM

The Day Bubba Ran Down Clemson's Hill With the Team... And Got Away With It

Bubba did it. The crazy son of a gun set out to crash Clemson's team running down the Hill before the Homecoming game against Duke in 1992, and he did it. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who hasn't done that at one time or another***

Jul 20, 2020, 8:24 AM

Re: Who hasn't done that at one time or another***

Jul 20, 2020, 8:43 AM

There’s a bunch on here that won’t admit it. As for myself, it sounds like something I would have done in my youth.

Our first home game 23 of us will be outside the stadium trying to run down the hill with the team. Mainly we’ll be trying to get down the hill without falling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: TNET: The Day Bubba Ran Down Clemson's Hill With the Team... And Got Away With It

Jul 20, 2020, 8:30 AM

If this story had come out weeks ago, we might have renamed Tillman, BRITTON HALL.

Awesome story. I had heard since the 90s that this happened...

Jul 20, 2020, 8:31 AM

but never knew the whole story or saw any photos.

And of course I wondered if it would ever be told since Bubba started working for the University! Haha

Thanks for sharing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Awesome story. I had heard since the 90s that this happened...

Jul 20, 2020, 8:45 AM

I wonder if Bubba’s son is our new QB recruit from Georgia?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I've been around Clemson Football for 60+ years and

Jul 20, 2020, 8:39 AM

that one of the best stories about Clemson football that I've never heard. As kids , growing up in Clemson, we'd sneak into the press box during games and try to sail paper airplanes onto the field until we got caught. I can't talk about some of our shenanigans because the statute of limitation hasn't run out!

Re: TNET: The Day Bubba Ran Down Clemson's Hill With the Team... And Got Away With It

Jul 20, 2020, 8:53 AM

Ordinarily, I had a press pass for away games, but at one particular one (not to be named) I used my roommate's extra cheerleader uniform and snuck in with them. Carried a megaphone most of the game and decided that it was a lot easier to shoot the games than to cheer them.

Jul 20, 2020, 9:22 AM

Awesome story!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 20, 2020, 9:48 AM

Bubba is a really good guy.

Couple of us were walking near some tailgates two years ago up at Winston-Salem

Bubba Spotted us and talked to us and gave us some beers for the road

Seems like the perfect fit for the alumni association

Jul 21, 2020, 11:36 PM

Bubba is a GREAT guy. Knew him from almost the second I set foot on Clemson’s campus.

If anyone bleeds Orange it is him. I cannot think of a greater asset for the University!

The only thing missing from the pic is his old blue VW bug.

Great story! Go Tigers!!

I snuck onto the sidelines one time when we played NCSU

Jul 20, 2020, 10:50 AM

a lot of people did, we overwhelmed them. My kid was in some cheerleading camp and I wasn't feeling too safe about the situation so I went down on the field to keep an eye on her.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son's roommate snuck him down onto the field before....

Jul 20, 2020, 10:58 AM

the end of the 2008 game with the ##### when Dabo beat Spurlid in his first ever game against the #####. The two of them then went into the locker room with the team after the game and celebrated. His roommate was in Army ROTC and had a field pass. It was an experience of a lifetime for him (my unnamed son).

Jul 20, 2020, 11:14 AM

Didn't he also drive a Go-Cart down College Ave one night...while naked?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no that was scott winchester***

Jul 20, 2020, 3:40 PM

Jul 20, 2020, 11:17 AM

I was at Clemson the same time as Bubba. I didn't know him well, but it was almost impossible not to know him a little. He was always super friendly and a fun guy to run into on campus. I remember one time i went to see a friend at Wofford and we went to a basketball game there. All of a sudden like 10-15 people around us just yell out BUBBA as he walked into the gym. Turned out he had a bunch of friends there, too. I knew a guy named Lebo there who was good friends with Bubba.

I hadn't seen Bubba in years except for on the occasional Clemson email/video, but I ran into him at the alumni event at the Diamondbacks stadium at the first Clemson-Bama natty game. Glad he is working for the university and doing well. This is an awesome story and sounds like him.

Jul 20, 2020, 11:25 AM

Great story!!

I met Bubba just a few years ago....

Jul 20, 2020, 11:38 AM

and this doesn’t surprise me a bit! Classic!

Jul 20, 2020, 12:07 PM

Way to go Bubba. You are now my newest, favorite Tiger football hero. Pretty cool dude.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind sorta related escapade

Jul 20, 2020, 12:28 PM

My freshman year in 1982, I had a roommate in the band who played the tuba. Most of you know that each team has a "brand" stamped into their footballs--while the band was waiting to take the field at halftime, he would snag one of these balls and stuff it into the tuba. Obviously, he marched around without making too much noise, but he ended up with quite the collection before he graduated.

Re: Kind sorta related escapade

Jul 20, 2020, 4:19 PM

Was his name Alan? Johnstone F4?

I knew a guy that did that . . . . . .

YES!

Jul 20, 2020, 5:59 PM

Allen Smith from Appomattox, VA...also had a giant speaker he said came out of RFK stadium that we would put out on the ledges of J-Stone and blast away.

Jul 21, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Kind sorta related escapade ]

If you knew anyone who played tuba in Tiger Band (at least up until about 1999--I can't really speak for anytime after that), you know a kleptomaniac. It's kind of their thing. They've taken footballs, helmets, water bottles, basically anything that wasn't nailed down to the Visitors' Bench.

Jul 23, 2020, 2:26 PM

If you knew anyone who played tuba in Tiger Band (at least up until about 1999--I can't really speak for anytime after that), you know a kleptomaniac. It's kind of their thing. They've taken footballs, helmets, water bottles, basically anything that wasn't nailed down to the Visitors' Bench.

I remember sitting right behind the band (dodging tubas the entire game) at one of the games in Columbia. All of them had PLO head bands, face writing, etc.

Turns out it was "Pylon Liberation Organization". When they left the field at halftime, the endzone pylons were all gone.

You go, Bubba!

Jul 20, 2020, 3:26 PM

I worked with Bubba on the Tiger Tailgate Show for a few years. He always had a smile on his face and had something positive to contribute. I have never heard this story, but it's easy to believe, knowing Bubba, that he did this. What a hoot! So glad it turned out that he didn't get busted. The "legend" lives on! Go Tigers...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Win, lose or draw . . . I'm a Tiger fan forevermore!

Hurricane Duane

Jul 20, 2020, 9:52 PM

Great story.....Bubba has a pair!! Needed a good laugh with all the other crap going on in the world. GO BUBBA.

Amazing

Jul 21, 2020, 8:32 AM

I was in Tiger Band so I was on the field for every home entrance, lol, and never had the opportunity to run down the Hill. That's pretty awesome. Kudos to him for pulling off a fantastic and harmless prank.

About the "craziest" thing I ever did was my freshman or sophomore year (1991 or 1992 season), I noticed there were telephones on the old orange walls separating the stands from the field. I picked one up, punched in my university long-distance code, and called my mom from the field. And it actually connected! We could barely hear each other (it was about 25 minutes before kickoff) but I screamed something like "HI MOM! I'M CALLING YOU FROM THE FOOTBALL FIELD! WE'RE ABOUT TO MARCH PRE-GAME!" and then hung up as the band was beginning to line up. Fun times.

Another time I was almost hit in the face with a Nelson Welch field goal kick while walking around the field to get to my halftime spot. I tried to catch the ball but had my instrument and band helmet in one hand, and that ball was coming FAST. All I could do was deflect it. Wish I could remember what game that was, I might be on a highlight reel somewhere.

I also worked a couple of NC State games with their marching band in the early 2000's and had a sideline pass. I was at field level behind the end zone for the Clemson-NCSU game when Woody Dantzler singlehandedly destroyed their team. His first TD run of about 50 yards, he was running right at me, and I had to step backwards to avoid being run over as he decelerated through the end zone. I was subsequently almost stampeded by the decelerating defenders whom I hadn't noticed coming right at me. I can spot myself on the video of that game, though my back's to the camera.

Helluva story!

Jul 21, 2020, 8:39 AM

Bubba would have made a heck of a Marine!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic