Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If this "Cripmas Party" hadn't hit the social media....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,467

If this "Cripmas Party" hadn't hit the social media....

Jan 14, 2015, 7:32 PM

Would there even be a march/protest over Tillman Hall right now?

Honestly, from what I can see, it's only the fact that this random frat party hit the social media universe that these protesters are even bringing up the Tillman name now in a list of grievances.

Apparently it wasn't a huge issue before, but now that a bunch of drunk teens dressed up like LA gangsters, we now need to look at the issue further.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If this "Cripmas Party" hadn't hit the social media....

Jan 14, 2015, 7:43 PM

Many people have understood that Tillman was a deeply offensive person and representative of the University. This issue has been discussed before but has really been lying dormant due to the school kind of ignoring racial issues.

You are right that recent events of brought this issue to the light. I don't see what's wrong with that though. We need to deal with our diversity problem at some point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2015, 7:45 PM

This is a non-issue. Addressing the actions of someone long dead is irrelevant to the world today and anyone getting their feelings hurt over it need to grow up and learn that the world isn't a safe place that's going to bend to respect your feelings.

I guess the problem I have is...

Jan 14, 2015, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: If this "Cripmas Party" hadn't hit the social media.... ]

...that maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that Clemson University is a racist institution and "non inclusive".

Yes, we have buildings named after old southern men who lived hundreds of years ago. We all know that history, but....

Are these students, who are enrolled at Clemson currently, claiming that the Clemson of 2015 is non inclusive??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since you asked....

Jan 14, 2015, 8:27 PM

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/campus-ethnic-diversity/page+10

Since Clemson openly acknowledges and publicizes the US News and World Report's Top 20 Ranking, then Clemson must also acknowledge the dismal diversity ranking. We are at the bottom of major southeastern schools.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since you asked....

Jan 14, 2015, 8:39 PM

I've got the perfect solution to this conundrum Bengal.

On future college applications, why don't we simply not ask what your ethnic origin is. In fact, I encourage all schools to do this. I mean really, who gives a crap?

Just give us your name, your HS transcripts, your essay, and we'll determine your eligibility from there.

Wouldn't that solve a lot of problems?

I'm a proponent that says Race and Ethnicity

Jan 14, 2015, 9:07 PM

Should not go into the college admissions decisions because if you have a minority with worse stats than a majority than the minority will get in. Is it really fair to the majority to not get in the BIG STATE U if he worked harder to get his grades?

we already have enough white people with college degrees.***

Jan 14, 2015, 9:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I don't have answers....

Jan 14, 2015, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Since you asked.... ]

but there are extremely knowledgable, well paid, Clemson University Administrators who should have dealt with this issue long ago.

Listen, I would never bash Clemson, but I've been worried about this one for some time now. Why do I worry? Because I love Clemson and never wish to see negative publicity on Clemson in the national media.

Jan 14, 2015, 8:02 PM [ in reply to Re: If this "Cripmas Party" hadn't hit the social media.... ]

We can start dealing with the diversity problem by ditching "Call Me Mister." ...wanna talk about racism? Check that crap out.

Secondly, admissions should get rid of race quotas. The best of the best students should be admitted into Clemson and that's it.

There's something in these hills.

Drummer, I was just about to write about that...

Jan 14, 2015, 8:06 PM

If the "Call Me Mister" program doesn't tell minority youth in our state that Clemson is an all inclusive University then nothing will!!!

As far as I'm concerned it seems like a #### good program that is addressing many of the issues that these "protesters" seem to want to ignore.

Jan 14, 2015, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: If this "Cripmas Party" hadn't hit the social media.... ]

"We need to deal with our diversity problem at some point. "

The most important part of problem solving is defining the problem. What is the problem? Be careful with your answer.

Every 5 years or so this "rename Tillman"

Jan 14, 2015, 7:56 PM

garbage pops up.

Re: Every 5 years or so this "rename Tillman"

Jan 14, 2015, 8:23 PM

I don't see this as garbage at all. Here is what it says on Wikipedia: "as a senator he boasted of having participated in the killing of black men."

Do you dispute this fact?

If so, isn't it pretty normal, rational to be offended by that?

Austin I agree with your point, but...

Jan 14, 2015, 8:33 PM

...I can't find any evidence that minorities are shunned in any way within the Clemson of today-2015.

In fact they have a number of minority alumni councils/programs that seem to address all of the inclusion issues of the past. We are no longer, if we ever have been, a racist institution.

So, in essence, what does renaming a major landmark on our campus do to change what we already have in place?

How about the fact that some minority groups

Jan 14, 2015, 9:25 PM

are always gonna find issue with something. Isn't that how Sharpton/Jackson make a living?

No I don't dispute it.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Every 5 years or so this "rename Tillman" ]

Without him, Clemson wouldn't exist. End of story.

Re: Every 5 years or so this "rename Tillman"

Jan 14, 2015, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Every 5 years or so this "rename Tillman" ]

He's dead been dead a long time. He was dead before these horrified students were born. The honoring of Tillman is for what he achieved for this university

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I'm confused....didn't this cripmas party happen like 4-6

Jan 14, 2015, 8:16 PM

Years ago or are these collar poppin costa wearin palmetto belt havin tool bags retooling the same shamed party themes again?

I'm no pc hippie, but come on guys...

Re: I'm confused....didn't this cripmas party happen like 4-6

Jan 14, 2015, 9:16 PM

From what I read, it was a somewhat annual tradition with this certain frat. Definitely not a one time thing.

Jan 14, 2015, 9:28 PM [ in reply to I'm confused....didn't this cripmas party happen like 4-6 ]

Wait, what's wrong with palmetto belts?

Jan 14, 2015, 9:35 PM

Costa makes some fine sunglasses too. For what it's worth I have literally never seen anyone in a popped collar though, Greek or not

Popped collars were like 10 years ago.***

Jan 14, 2015, 9:35 PM

maybe i should have said too short khaki short wearin guy

Jan 14, 2015, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm confused....didn't this cripmas party happen like 4-6 ]

harvey tee havin. I just know when I see too much of the same fashion it starts to get annoying to me. Fads. Tool bag fads. Sorry if it hit too close to home. ;)

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,467
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic