Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
August 30, 2008 - Last time we lost to Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,228

August 30, 2008 - Last time we lost to Alabama

Jan 4, 2016, 7:11 PM

Tommy Bowden was the head coach.
Clemson ranked #9 and was the favorite to win
Alabama ranked #24

Alabama destroyed Clemson 34 - 10 and this game was just another reason why the C******ing term was being thrown around. This game arguably started Alabama back on it's path to being a juggernaut under Nick Saban.

Tommy Bowden had earned a reputation of choking in games he should have won and this game was the beginning of the end for him as 5 weeks he was fired (resigned under pressure) after which Dabo Swinney was named interim head coach.

The rest is history...Dabo is da man! Clemson does not choke and finishes the job!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: August 30, 2008 - Last time we lost to Alabama

Jan 4, 2016, 7:26 PM

This hasn't been talked about enough. This game began a lot of the sec narrative we now hear. Back then, Bama was coming off a season where they lost to Louisiana Monroe I believe it was.

We had skill players out the yin yang, but question marks up front. I remember we gave Jamie Harper the first carry as a recruiting promise, and he fumbled. Bama beat us up front in the trenches. They had a nice freshman wr named Julio Jones who made some plays.

We were basically ambushed vs Bama in the ga dome, at least that's what it felt like. We struggled through the acc schedule. Bama went on to sweep their regular season schedule.

With this win hopefully we can reverse some of that narrative, repay Saban and Bama, and bring home the big trophy.

We will have come full circle from that game that set forth a chain of events that lead us to dabo Swinney and becoming one of if not the national power in cfb.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2016, 7:28 PM

I was at that game and also attended all the following games we had with Auburn. From sitting in the stands with both fan bases I have to say the Auburn fans were a class act and the Bama fans were obnoxious azzholes. Even poor sports after winning the game by continuing to needlessly run their mouths. If I had to compare them to anyone, the Bama fans really act like the coots, except they actually have a history to be proud of, and the Auburn fans are more down to earth like Clemson fans. For those of you going to the National Championship game, you will experience this first hand.

We lost that game before the kickoff.....

Jan 4, 2016, 7:37 PM

.....I was at the hotel when the team got on the bus. They were flat and no emotion. Looked like a rag tag bunch. They had bought into the hype. Bama kicked our tails and we deserved it. Of course as Bowden was known for saying "it's not my job to motivate them". The only saving grace at that game was they sold alkeehal.

Message was edited by: CU TLGTN®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CU TLGTN

Re: We lost that game before the kickoff.....

Jan 4, 2016, 7:46 PM

Also was during the Rob Spence, run 40 screens a game ERA. Bama had it well defended and snuffed most of them out at or behind the line of scrimmage . That didn't stop Spence, he kept running them anyway.

Re: We lost that game before the kickoff.....

Jan 4, 2016, 8:17 PM

I have no hard feelings toward Spence and trust he was doing what he truly thought best, but his nickname suggests a unique insight into the game which never proved justified.

Beat BAMA and bury that blasphemous term forever***

Jan 4, 2016, 7:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2016, 7:56 PM

The game started with a fumble by a freshman RB Jamie Harper we had James Davis but for whatever reason we handed it to him it was all down hill from their

Jan 4, 2016, 8:18 PM

I hold that loss against Bowden more than I do against Bama. I am sure they will feel the same when we return the favor.

Jan 4, 2016, 9:33 PM

We were at that game. I remember Ricky Sapp getting tossed around like a rag doll by Bama's OLline. I have to admit the Bama fans I met were class acts before and after our beatdown.

Jan 4, 2016, 10:13 PM

You must have been sitting in a better section than me.

Re: Remember it very well...

Jan 4, 2016, 10:28 PM

I was there. Gameday was too. Big festivities! Appalling game by Clemson. I had some Alabama co-workers sitting with me so I didn't have the rude fan problem. But I truly believe we can thank Bama for getting the ball rolling that several weeks later lead to Dabo being named Interim Head Coach. So I think it has come full circle. Bama whipped us to start the journey we are on and Dabo closes the loop Monday with a whipping for Bama and a National Title! They can blame themselves after the game for embarrassing us then and costing them this championship now!

Re: Remember it very well...

Jan 4, 2016, 11:02 PM

Thunder and lightning ,., they ragged on about that ., It was embarrassing ,. The only bright
spot ,., Spiller took a kickoff to the house .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were at the team hotel before the game.

Jan 5, 2016, 12:04 AM

I remember our players walking around and mingling with the fans just hours before the game. I remember commenting to my wife that the way our guys were just walking around the hotel right before the game concerned me. There was no way they were focused on the objective at hand. After the game my sister lost her phone. A Bama fan found it and called me since it was one of the last numbers she dialed. We met and got the phone, which I thought was a nice gesture.

Re: We were at the team hotel before the game.

Jan 5, 2016, 12:11 AM

I guess every fan base has its good and it's bad, we might have some impossible fans ourselves after our 4th National title under Dabo. For the first time in a long time I can actually not just imagine this as a reality but a real possibility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,228
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic