Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburns Backfield
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Auburns Backfield

Jul 20, 2017, 12:05 AM

First time poster. As you tell by the name I am probably younger than most on this great board. Looking ahead to game 2 on the schedule. This years Auburn team will be totally different on the offensive side of the ball. First reason they will have someone in Jarrett Stidham who is capable of making all the throws they couldn't make last year. Which will not allow the line backers to stack the box as we did last year. That leads to my 2nd point a RB Clemson didn't have to face last year due to preseason injury in Kamryn Pettway watching this guy he reminds me a lot of Leonard Fournette powerful with above average speed for his build. He will be the best RB our defense plays all year. May end up being one of the best in the nation by season end. But in Coach V we trust!! Clemson wins in a nail biter. Spot the dang ball!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburns Backfield

Jul 20, 2017, 1:08 AM

Clemson's front 7 will make Auburn one dimensional and then they'll tee off on the QB. Speaking of the Baylor transfer he'll be playing a real defense for the 1st time and not those BigXII 7 on 7 passing league defenses he's been playing. Clemson will roll The Plainsmen in The Valley and send The War Eagle crying all the way back to The Yellowhammer State.

The Clemson Tigers 38
Auburn Plainsmen 17

Jul 20, 2017, 1:13 AM

How's Auburn's O-line? I really don't know. But I know it doesn't matter how good Stidham is if his butt is knocked to the turf every snap (i.e. JB)

their center is Dexter size. Lot of meat in that battle

Jul 20, 2017, 6:52 AM

Rest of line is avg. they have seniors at tackles and center and SO at guards.

Dexter size, speed and strength

Jul 20, 2017, 9:54 AM

Will blow the kid that just matches Dex's size off the ball. Our starting DTs will be pretty much unblockable this year. They will demand extra attention and free up other guys to make plays. It would be like Vic B having two Grady Jarretts in the interior except better. If we stay healthy I don't think anyone has much success running the ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rammer Jammer, yellerhammer

Jul 20, 2017, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Auburns Backfield ]

go the &@#% back to Alabama.

A couple of these guys do sound like Auburn fans completely ignorant about Clemson football.***

Jul 20, 2017, 10:08 AM

you sound like an auburn fan but I'll give you the benefit

Jul 20, 2017, 6:33 AM

Of the doubt. I think the biggest difference will be our DLine. At that point last year, Decter Lawrence wasn't experienced yet. Also Christian Wilkins was playing DE at that point if i remember correctly which was a new position for him. Ferrell hadn't yet established himself. Between Austin Bryant, Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, et al. all tried, true, and Champion proven, gonna be a long night in Death Valley. Stidham will be on his back. If he can recover he may go on to have a great season. But PTSD is not out of the question.

Jul 20, 2017, 8:52 AM

I agree he's going to be good, but the best we play all year? I wouldn't say that as of yet, FSU's true freshman was an absolute freak show in their spring game and much more of a burner than Pettaway. I think our D-Line will be better as well as our DB's this year and although Stidham is a much better QB he won't have the time to get open recievers downfield so with taking him out as the X-Factor and Death Valley in our favor we should be able to handle them well.

Jul 20, 2017, 9:44 AM

Auburn will be a formidable opponent.

Their online has a career 106 starts. That is #3 in the county. Pettway averaged 136 ypg in games he had at least one carry.

And clemson wasn't exactly a defense that shut down the run last year. I'm the 7 games against ranked opponents - Clemson gave up 156 ypg on the ground.

They also have talent at wr and a qb who was nearly perfect in their spring game. He can get the ball downfield with plenty of accuracy.

They are going to be a tough out for everyone on their schedule.

How did that OLine do against our patched up DL last year.

Jul 20, 2017, 10:00 AM

You need to read the post above about our guys being healthy, more experienced and back in their true positions before you make a statement like this. Auburn will be tough but they will not win that battle. They didn't do it last year and they won't do it this year. I don't care how many starts they have.

Re: How did that OLine do against our patched up DL last year.

Jul 20, 2017, 10:17 AM

I do not necessarily expect auburn to win the battle along the line of scrimmage, but I think they are capable to do enough to allow them to win. I do however believe that they will get much better qb play than they had last year.

This is a much more dangerous opponent than they were last year.

" Pettway averaged 136 ypg in games he had at least one

Jul 20, 2017, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Auburns Backfield ]

carry."

So how many ypg did he average in games where he had less than 1 carry?

I too am interested in the answer to this question***

Jul 20, 2017, 10:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: " Pettway averaged 136 ypg in games he had at least one

Jul 20, 2017, 10:28 AM [ in reply to " Pettway averaged 136 ypg in games he had at least one ]

Zero. He played in one game where he didn't get a carry.

Are you sure? Please show your maths***

Jul 20, 2017, 10:29 AM

Re: " Pettway averaged 136 ypg in games he had at least one

Jul 20, 2017, 11:23 AM [ in reply to " Pettway averaged 136 ypg in games he had at least one ]

In one game he had one carry for 136 yards .
Impressive .
He stopped long enough to tailgate with some fans who didn't get tickets , then was refused re-entry due to some silly homeland security statute.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

So - do you change your name when you get old

Jul 20, 2017, 10:02 AM

like the rest of us?

Jul 20, 2017, 10:03 AM

I think we win comfortably , honestly. They have a new QB and they lost a bunch on the defensive side . They're nowhere near as good as we are along both the lines and they are coming into a very loud Death Valley on a Saturday night .

I think we beat them by 14+ points and that the game is never really in doubt after the half .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 20, 2017, 10:24 AM

nice try coot

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2017, 10:58 AM

Auburn always has the potential to be good to very good. They recruit well and have a lot of guys who were highly rated coming out of high school on their squad. So I think the came in Death Valley will be competitive.

BUT, Clemson has never played an Auburn team that did not have more 4 and 5 star high school players on their squad than our Tigers had on our squad. And yet we've won the last several games and were razor close to beating the Plainsmen in Auburn in their last great natty winning year.

Jarrett Stidham is the third consecutive can't miss QB that has been all world in July and August. Last year the hype was all around James Franklin, a can't miss, highly mobile, Lamar Jackson type guy who missed. Franklin is still looking for a place he can play. The year before Franklin was the star to be Jeremy Johnson was almost a Heisman Trophy winner in August. When he got on the field of play, he was much much less than advertised.

Stidham is sometimes called 'the number one Juco QB recruit in 2016'. The problem with that is that he never played a down in junior college. When he left Baylor he chose to go to a juco that did not play football. What was that all about? Stidham was a five star 'dual threat' high school QB who went to Baylor and played in 10 games, starting 3 of them. In those ten games the dual threat guy ran for 70 yards. Not a misprint; he only ran for 70 yards in 3 games he started and 7 other games where he played.

Stidham may be all that, but he and Auburn are going to have to show me, on the field, in a game in Death Valley.

As others have said, last year we had a patched up DL with a freshman starter and an inexperienced OL when we played Auburn. And we won at Auburn.

It ought to be a good game. I expect Clemson will be favored. I think we'll cover the spread.

GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic