Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburn fans seem to feel good about their defense against us
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Auburn fans seem to feel good about their defense against us

Aug 30, 2016, 2:56 PM

Am I missing something. If Auburn was to win....(hahahahaha)... it would be a really high scoring game. The only way they will match up with us is to match punch for punch on offense, which I don't see happening. With that said I'll make my game prediction.

I keep trying to tell myself that the game will be a dog fight but I just don't see it. I think Auburn puts points up, but I just don't see us having trouble moving the ball. I expect around 24-13 around half.

Final 48-23 Clemson.

What do y'all think. I just can't look past Steele being their D coordinator.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

In all honesty

Aug 30, 2016, 3:03 PM

if Auburn is going to win then it will be their defense that determines the game.

They are much more likely to win a game in which they force multiple turnovers and tackle us in the backfield frequently. If neither defense is effective then I would think the team with Deshaun has the advantage.

They also have several elite players on their defensive front. I think this is where most of their excitement and hope is coming from in regards to their defense.

I understand their talented D line.

Aug 30, 2016, 3:06 PM

Maybe i'm blinded for my lack of respect for Steele. I honestly feel like they have one of the most over rated d coordinators in the country. Everything Steele d's struggle against are our strengths.

Blind optimism

Aug 30, 2016, 3:12 PM

They are going to believe that he has changed or that he will know what to do against us because he used to coach at Clemson.

Being rational about a team's chances are not exactly the strength of college football fans when it comes to their favorite team.

Ill always think of the WVU game and the USuC game

Aug 30, 2016, 3:15 PM

How many yards will Watson have with auburns lbs backs facing him?

Re: Ill always think of the WVU game and the USuC game

Aug 30, 2016, 3:17 PM

Those games mean nothing to Auburn fans. They have a much different outlook on Steele than Clemson fans do.

Kind of like Virgin Wool , so to speak.***

Aug 30, 2016, 9:04 PM

Re: In all honesty

Aug 30, 2016, 3:07 PM [ in reply to In all honesty ]

Okay, so our O-line is essentially the O-line from last year.... the same one that enabled DW4 and co to hang 40 on the tide, so WHY would we think Auburn's 'D' is gonna wreak havoc??...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Never said we should think that

Aug 30, 2016, 3:11 PM

OP mentioned Auburn fans' outlook on the game and why they feel the way they do. I'm sure they know very little about our offensive line and credit the entire output in the national championship game to Deshaun Watson. This is the general message being delivered to the nation through various media outlets.

I don't agree with Auburn fans, but I do feel that their best chance to win the game is to make it sloppy and cause lots of turnovers.

Do they think Wren High school is furnishing our Dline for

Aug 30, 2016, 9:06 PM

this game?

ANd I am not ridiculing Wren's dline. Just an example...***

Aug 30, 2016, 9:07 PM

Aug 30, 2016, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: In all honesty ]

People also forget we have our best WR back this year too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like reek of haddock

Aug 30, 2016, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: In all honesty ]

??

In the NC game . . .

Aug 30, 2016, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Re: In all honesty ]

. . . we had trouble running in the first half. 'Bama made some halftime adjustments to limit our passing game which in turn allowed us to run in the second half. It would not surprise me if Auburn's defensive front is good enough to restrict our running game if they put enough men in the box. I expect them to double Mike Williams and Artavis Scott, so that should open up the underneath routes. I don't think that their linebackers will have success covering Deon, Hunter, or Ray-Ray in the short passing game, so we can force them to pull guys out of the box.

I think that we will be able to run on Auburn - but it may come later in the game when they have to adjust to our passing game.

No one knows how good their offense will be, but I think that our D will limit them and our O will score points. At least, that is my two cents.

Re: In the NC game . . .

Aug 30, 2016, 7:58 PM

I've tried to think of how to defend this offense. in Auburns case committing extra bodies to stop the run would be a mistake with inexperienced corners. big play city! the best option for them is to play nickel most of the time and keep everything in front of them and pray for turnovers. they will get some pressure with 4 down linemen at least some of the time. those are good guys who we wanted really bad and even a 5 star guy on 2nd team d end. I still see us covering even if it gets a little uncomfortable early on

Aug 30, 2016, 3:11 PM [ in reply to In all honesty ]

Lets keep in mind how slow the offense was to get going last year. It wasn't until the fourth or fifth game we got going good. Can't discount early season rust. The closer we get to game time, the closer I believe this game will be.

Watson was coming off an injury and limited on runs.

Aug 30, 2016, 3:14 PM

Entirely different situation. The second half offense is a better measuring stick. And hanging 40 on bama without Williams or Cain.

Aug 30, 2016, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: In all honesty ]

While I do agree that it takes a few games to get rolling, I don't think it will take as long this year. I think that Deshaun was still unsure his knee at the beginning of last season. He also lost his biggest target in the very first game which was on a nice TD pass no less.

I just think we will see a lot more sooner this season. It may just start with the Auburn game.

Aug 31, 2016, 5:57 PM [ in reply to Re: In all honesty ]

> Lets keep in mind how slow the offense was to get
> going last year. It wasn't until the fourth or fifth
> game we got going good. Can't discount early season
> rust. The closer we get to game time, the closer I
> believe this game will be.

But you also have to keep in mind that Deshaun was coming off of a knee surgery. The o-line was starting a true freshman at left tackle. Our Co- offensive coordinators were still trying to figure out their identity and we lost Mike Williams in the 1st game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In all honesty... no...

Aug 30, 2016, 3:33 PM [ in reply to In all honesty ]

... YOU TigersO said:

> if Auburn is going to win then it will be their
> defense that determines the game.
>
> They are much more likely to win a game in which they
> force multiple turnovers and tackle us in the
> backfield frequently.
>
> They also have several elite players on their
> defensive front. I think this is where most of their
> excitement and hope is coming from in regards to
> their defense.

...not the OP. And I am not the eternal pessimist (nor overconfident optimist), however, I still don't get all the 'hand wringing' over the Auburn game or their ability(s).

Not trying to be argumentative, here, but I will hang up and listen and give you the last word.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: In all honesty... no...

Aug 30, 2016, 3:47 PM

You are correct that I misrepresented the OP. I got mixed up.

Like you, I am also not for hand wringing. While I do think the game will be much closer than many Clemson fans due to it being an away game and first game of the year, I was simply stating a different narrative for how I thought Auburn would have their best chance to win the game.

I think shootouts more often favor the more talented team which is Clemson. Underdogs typically win if the game gets sloppy and mistakes are made on both sides.

I think we may be similar in thinking when it comes to this game. If we make mistakes on special teams or turn the ball over I can see this game being similar to last year's Louisville game that could go either way down to the end. If we play a clean game then I see it going much more like the Boston College game from last year. Close game at halftime and the Tigers create some breathing room in the second half based on the difference in talent.

3 words

Aug 30, 2016, 3:10 PM

Kevin Steele

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone in Hiroshima felt good right before the bomb hit.

Aug 30, 2016, 3:43 PM

And yet hit it did.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

They should feel good

Aug 30, 2016, 3:50 PM

Hunter Renfrow is a backup again. Only replaced by Deon Cain and Mike Williams. No big deal they just lost their starting safety.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Mile Williams is going to be hungry. And so is Cain lol.

Aug 30, 2016, 3:53 PM

It's gonna to be great!

Re: They should feel good

Aug 30, 2016, 4:11 PM [ in reply to They should feel good ]

Link to Renfrow being a backup?

Or do you have the "real" depth chart from the coaches?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Did things change since this was posted?

Aug 30, 2016, 4:20 PM [ in reply to They should feel good ]

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Clemson-Depth-Chart-released-Auburn-23903?ref=front

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Auburn fans seem to feel good about their defense against us

Aug 30, 2016, 4:03 PM

Their dB's are going to be concerned with A. Scott and M. Williams leaving one on one with Renfrew. I believe DW4, Wayne Train and Renfrow are going to have a great day.

Aug 30, 2016, 4:06 PM

If we go with a 4 WR set using MW, Cain, Scott, Renfrow and then run out Leggett at TE, I don't see how you could stop it if the OL can block for a few seconds.

Don't forget Legget

Aug 30, 2016, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Auburn fans seem to feel good about their defense against us ]

He should also benefit with their DBs focusing on the others you mention.

Aug 30, 2016, 4:46 PM

So did Oklahoma fans.....

Auburn will be rusty too and there is not indication

Aug 30, 2016, 5:22 PM

they are going to start any faster than us. Our defense will be better than people give us credit for and we saw what our offense did to them all during Fall camp.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least 95% of all college football fans are huge homers

Aug 30, 2016, 9:09 PM

that overestimate the abilities of their team. That includes Clemson fans.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic