Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Attendance: SEC vs. college football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Attendance: SEC vs. college football

Jul 24, 2019, 8:35 PM

Admittedly, these numbers are staggering. Granted, we pretty much carry the flag as far as ACC stadiums (along with Doak Campbell) but some of this blows my mind. The SEC remains consistent while other leagues are faltering.
https://gasnsports.com/sec-football-attendance-vs-america/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attendance: SEC vs. college football

Jul 24, 2019, 8:57 PM

If most (MOST) SEC stadiums were only at 70% it would still make them the "winner" of this little dig here.
Wake Forest has a max capacity of 30, 000
Cuse is I believe 50, 000
Duke is 33,000

You have to give the fan bases in the SEC credit! And, that's as far as I go. But, the media who likes to make money off the enthusiasm loves to boost highly overrated teams up b/c of the booster support.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 9:00 PM

Wake capacity is 31,500
Duke “ “ is 40,000

Jul 24, 2019, 9:13 PM

OK.

BC is 44, 500
Pitt is 65, 500
Miami is 67, 300
UVA is 64, 900
UNC is 63, 000
GT is 55, 000
NCST is 57, 800
Louisville is 55, 000
VT is 65, 632
FSU is 82, 300
Clemson officially listed as: 81, 500

All of these are what the capacity is. Not record crowd so you know. For example, 86,092 is listed as the record at Memorial Stadium.

Follow the money - any good detective will tell you that's your most likely way to find the culprit. Translation: SEC gets hyped more b/c of stuff just like this. They fill the stadiums more and buy more gear so therefore their teams must be good? NO. Except if your coached by Nick Saban or Urban Meyer! Or Gene Chizik with a unique offense lead by a phreak QB they paid for. Spurrier won 1 with the fun and gun back when everybody else was still trying to emulate Tom Osborne and Nebraska. Like Auburn ahead of the curve offensively(ironic b/c these are SEC schools). No offensive prowess most of the time.

Jul 24, 2019, 9:16 PM

I would also like to add - with the games being on TV ALL the time; people are less inclined to go to the games. Plus, the ticket prices and parking and vending at the game all cost! That DTV bill is already close to $200, LOL!

Point being, slower attendance is showing in "every sport"! Kudos to the SEC for still filling out the stadium. But, that don't make you better playing football!

UNC Remodeled the seating in 2017 or 2018...

Jul 25, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Attendance: SEC vs. college football ]

their total seating is only around 50,000 now.

Re: UNC Remodeled the seating in 2017 or 2018...

Jul 25, 2019, 10:31 AM

They did away with most or all of their bleachers.

What would Mem. Stad. seat if it were all chairs and no bleachers?? I'm guessing we'd lose about 15,000 seats (based on Kenan shrinking by 12k).

Re: UNC Remodeled the seating in 2017 or 2018...

Jul 25, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to UNC Remodeled the seating in 2017 or 2018... ]

They don't play on grass any more in Chapel Hole. Artificial surface.

Jul 24, 2019, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Attendance: SEC vs. college football ]

Another factor affecting conference average attendance is the number of private schools in a conference. Most private schools have smaller enrollments, smaller stadiums, and less attendance. There are a few exceptions such as Notre Dame, USC(the real one), and BYU.

The ACC has 5 private schools: Boston College, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, and Miami. All five have smaller stadiums except Miami which does not have a stadium. Miami has to travel to play in the Miami Dolphins stadium.

The SEC has only 1 private school, Vanderbilt.

Jul 25, 2019, 12:09 AM

Pitt and Miami both rent their stadiums from their professional neighbors.

That accounts for 2 of the 5 largest stadiums in the ACC.

Shockingly

Jul 24, 2019, 9:03 PM

The conference with the biggest stadiums on average had the highest headcount. Why is this even worth posting?

Show me capacity percentages and it might be the same but it’s at least apples to apples.

Jul 24, 2019, 9:35 PM

The SEC....It Just Means More!!

(That ought to get things kickstarted on this thread)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ -1 Dawg!

Jul 24, 2019, 9:41 PM

How's that!

Haa...

Oh, my Clemson grad Son graduated from Doggie Law School, so he growls & barks a little.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ -1 Dawg!

Jul 25, 2019, 6:35 AM

Congrats to you and your son! (So deep down...you root for the Dawgs...just a little)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unless we're talking final score!!***

Jul 24, 2019, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Attendance: SEC vs. college football ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 10:20 PM

SECond football TEAMS are laughably over-rated, but there is no question that the FANS of most of those programs (at least the 7 or 8 biggest ones) care a great deal.

Many of those fans don't have a whole lot going on in their lives . . . but they do care alot!

Jul 24, 2019, 10:22 PM

Exactly my thoughts on the situation!

Guess they have to do something with their time!

Jul 24, 2019, 10:30 PM

It’s funny how the article doesn’t mention a possible reason for decline: costs of going to games have absolutely Sky-rocketed while the U.S. is just now recovering from our second Great Depression...... but what do I know...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 4 team CFP is hurting college football attendance

Jul 25, 2019, 12:08 AM

And bowls, this is why coaches opposed it for so long. It’s only going to get worse as more and more teams feel they have no chance at making the playoffs.

Re: The 4 team CFP is hurting college football attendance

Jul 25, 2019, 7:56 PM

So fans used to think they had a better chance when it was only 2 teams, or when you had to be ranked #1 at the end of the year?

Not seeing why any of this is important to Clemson

Jul 25, 2019, 3:29 AM

ACC’s attendance made no difference in us humiliating Alabama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have little insight to other SEC schools but Scar listed at 97% capacity

Jul 25, 2019, 3:46 AM

Is just bs and number fudging. Maybe they had that many for one game but anyone who watched their games saw large parts of empty stadium.

Not surprising

Jul 25, 2019, 6:23 AM

....and echoing what a few others have already said I give SEC fans their props for showing up to games.

But, this is just the sort of article that gives the media and SEC fans that false sense of reality.

SEC fans think that because their stadiums are more full, or because they put more players in the NFL that they have the best football teams. Over the past decade (with the exception of Alabama) that's simply not the case.

Dabo and Clemson are playing football right in the SEC's proverbial blind-spot with better coaching, better players, and better facilities.

Keep filling up those stadiums up SEC fans...National Championships run through Clemson.

Re: Not surprising

Jul 25, 2019, 8:45 AM

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and highlight one thing

Although attendance doesn't translate into on-field success, it does make the environment for visiting teams a lot tougher.

Clemson playing @ Wake, BC, UVA, Duke, etc doesn't compare to Clemson playing @ any of the SEC venues outside of Vandy. In that respect, I believe SEC and BIG 10 teams have harder schedules.

It would be harder to beat wake forest football team @ a stadium like willy brice than it would be to beat them @ wake forest stadium

Jul 25, 2019, 12:38 PM

NClemsonAve Spoken like someone who has "bought into the sauce 100%"!

I understand what you are getting at; but disagree!

Kyle Field was a hard place to play for example. It's in Texas and there was over 100 thousand in attendance(in the rain). Home of the "vaunted" 12th man and all that.

But, players get up for those games! You don't have to motivate your team for those games. Players live for "those settings"!

Now take a 90% capacity crowd at Wake Forest w/12 pm kick off time and try and motivate those same players!

***if you have never played - you won't understand my point! This is not even close - as a kid you dream of scoring the big TD and silencing the crowd. Or hitting the winning 3 pt shot to ice the game(in basketball). You don't ever envision playing in a small h.s. looking stadium that's not even to capacity!

MY POINT: "it's much harder to play in weak florist"! But, as you said, that's just me not buying the SEC sauce and playing devils advocate.
AS a former player and life long fan of H.S., College and Pro football - beyond question the game that sneaks up on you are those one's you aren't as motivated to play. And, this gives no team an excuse for sorry bowl showings! Why? Because you get a month off for those and have time to get your head on right! By the time of the game the coaches will have known who was ALL IN with the preparation or not and simply their fault for not addressing it.
Much harder the other way around.

Jul 25, 2019, 7:47 PM

I'm not "buying the sauce" either.

You offered some great real-life perspective.

The idea that it's harder to play in front of 100k vs. trying to get to up to play in front of 30k Wake Forest fans is laughable when you apply your rationale.

Take for instance....getting up for Clemson is easy.....we get everybody's "A" game. Nobody gets up for bad teams, it's hard (South Carolina, etc...) they get everybody's "C" game. :)

UofSC I know does tickets sold not actual attendance

Jul 25, 2019, 9:54 AM

and even that I question because the Akron game last year would have absolutely ruined any kind of 97% capacity even if using tickets sold.

Attendance is suffering everywhere. The marquee games are well attended everywhere but as soon as a team falters and is playing another faltering team...... people are quick to find other things to do and watch on TV. UF is looking at reducing the capacity at The Swamp. I believe UNC just did the same. More amenities/better seating for a smaller crowd vs expanding and having the masses is the trend - that will only escalate with ticket prices and everything else the way they are.

Uof5c's AKRON game likely omitted for those statistics...

Jul 25, 2019, 10:09 AM

I believe uof5c reported the attendance for the Akron game was around 55,000.

Actual attendance was likely less than 5,500.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Uof5c's AKRON game likely omitted for those statistics...

Jul 25, 2019, 11:28 AM

Go Zips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 25, 2019, 8:01 PM

SEC stadiums have a ton of seating and average more than other conferences and the guys are substantially cheaper to get tickets for with the exception of big games such as LSU vs Alabama or UGA vs Florida etc.

Jul 26, 2019, 10:53 AM

“With the exception of big GAMES”? Not sure of your source. Here’s mine - Georgia has the highest average listing price in the nation. A mere 70.8% higher than the average for the returning national champions.

“Georgia is the most expensive draw this season with an average listing price of $389.95, which is 28 percent more expensive than the next hottest ticket — Michigan at $279.27. Notre Dame and Ohio State check in at No. 3 and 4, respectively with average prices of $273.92 and $266.48. Defending national champion Clemson checks in fifth at $228.34”
https://fansided.com/2019/07/25/college-football-biggest-draws-hottest-tickets/amp/

Just know I respect and support Clemson football while being a Georgia fan but facts are facts when it comes to ticket prices and sales.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic