Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At what point in history did being poor
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 917

At what point in history did being poor

Feb 4, 2019, 3:35 PM

and being fat become correlated? I mean, it used to be poor and starving and now it's poor and morbidly obese.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Value menu?***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:37 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tuesday

Feb 4, 2019, 3:42 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hamberders***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:44 PM

cheap processed food is fattening***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

EATING A LOT OF cheap processed food is fattening******

Feb 4, 2019, 3:53 PM

What about expensive processed food?***

Feb 4, 2019, 4:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

When the price of a box of spinach is higher than

Feb 4, 2019, 3:43 PM

a meal at Mickey D's, then you know the gubmint is subsidizing the wrong farmers.

A box of spinach?

Feb 4, 2019, 3:53 PM

I'v bought it by the can and cluster of leaves but I've never seen it a box.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever been to Sam's? Costco? That's what I'm talking about

Feb 4, 2019, 3:59 PM

https://images.samsclubresources.com/is/image/samsclub/0003022304780_A?$img_size_380x380$

This in the frozen section............

Feb 4, 2019, 5:53 PM [ in reply to A box of spinach? ]

I keep it in my freezer. Darn good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Box of Spinach is one of my all time favorite

Feb 4, 2019, 4:22 PM [ in reply to When the price of a box of spinach is higher than ]

Grateful Dead tunes.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Spinach..like a doodah man"

Feb 4, 2019, 5:16 PM

Clocks are turning backwards, days are running long
Gettin' my spinach in box, for a song

(then there's a 20 minute guitar interlude played by 2 guys playing two entirely different songs)

I see you got the new Dave's Pick album as well. LOVE THAT

Feb 5, 2019, 1:31 PM

2nd and 3rd CD Jam into Days Between

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The lyrics write themselves***

Feb 5, 2019, 1:32 PM

Food stamps and Mario Bros.***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Around the time having some sort of disability became cool

Feb 4, 2019, 3:57 PM

Look at me with my ADHD, anxiety, and depression!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like how having a handicap hangtag

Feb 4, 2019, 7:57 PM

Is a status symbol to some people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

I think this is another thing you can blame

Feb 4, 2019, 4:00 PM

air conditioning on. The super heavy weight parents aren't going to not run the AC. Too much to do inside so the kids sure aren't going to go outside and be uncomfortable.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obesity is higher in poor and middle class

Feb 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-true-connection-between-class-and-obesity-isnt-what-you-probably-think/2018/07/19/8d3a61e4-8ac8-11e8-a345-a1bf7847b375_story.html?utm_term=.89747ad86fbe

but even in the higher income brackets, it's still around 30% which is awful.

and has skyrocketed since the 1970s. My view is the anti-fat/pro-sugar studies that came out in the 1960s that changed our diets to be more sugary is the biggest health blunder/catastrophe of the last 100 years.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

When we changed dietary guidelines from more fat less sugars

Feb 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

To low fat and high sugars. The cheapest food also has the highest level of simple and complex carbohydrates. So poor people buy cheap food and get fat. We also subsidize corn and wheat to the tune of billions a year making those products cheaper.

Youll spend far more eating meat and veggies over junk food.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When we changed dietary guidelines from more fat less sugars

Feb 4, 2019, 4:17 PM

Cancer cells get most of their fuel from sugar. Sugar is as bad as it gets man. I don't even care about Fat/Saturated fats, but I watch sugar like a hawk. Obesity and breast cancer, especially in the South and especially in the African American community is high and sugar is a part of that problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really

Feb 4, 2019, 5:14 PM

http://news.mit.edu/2016/how-cancer-cells-fuel-their-growth-0307

And here

Feb 4, 2019, 5:20 PM

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-07-26/cancer-and-sugar-what-you-need-to-know/8701870

and here

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2017/05/15/sugar-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

(The last paragraph about sugar and glutamine get to the point)

https://www.connersclinic.com/cancer-stop-feeding-it/

Your body produces all the sugar it needs. Even with ZERO

Feb 5, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Not really ]

sugar eaten. Most people would be shocked how little (or zero) sugar they actually need. Unless you're running a marathon, you don't need complex carbohydrates at all. Personally, I can run up to 3 miles a day on 60-70 TOTAL grams of simple carbs and maybe 2,000 calories. If you sit at a desk or don't exercise strenuously, you get all the sugar you need from vegetables alone, without even eating fruit. I can run a mile on 1800 calories a day and 40-50 grams of TOTAL carbs, all simple sugars.

And carbs are actually addictive. Physically and psychologically addictive. It's the most prevalent addiction in America. Remove them totally and you will actually have physical withdrawal symptoms. Most people associate this with starvation symptoms, but it's not. It's actually a withdrawal.

Cancer is a disease of cell replication. It's very genetic in nature and genetic, although if you do something that causes cell replication to increase, you make a mutation and cancer more likely. Sunburn and sun exposure is a good example. Sunburn causes the skin cells to replicate much faster. Burn in the Sun a lot, more replications to replace skin, more chance of getting cancer. Smoke? More lung cell replication. Dip? More gum and mouth cell replication. GERD? Acid causes more replication in the cells of the esophagus. Breast cancer is caused by a cell replication error as well, but it's not environmental in nature but still genetic.

Now sugar plays a role because it's naturally inflammatory and causes inflammation. Inflammation generally causes more cell replication. It also causes fats to stick inside arteries and arteries to harden making that easier. So it plays a role, but indirect. Much more of a role in heart disease, I'd argue, than cancer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These guys didn't eat that much sugar

Feb 5, 2019, 10:26 PM

They probably had the perfect diet, especially the Inuits in Greenland that had a diet of plants and fish, heavy on Omega 3.

They all had heart disease.

https://www.livescience.com/64594-greenland-mummies-heart-disease.html

https://www.cardiovascularbusiness.com/topics/acute-coronary-syndrome/archaeologists-find-evidence-heart-disease-1500s

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/153-1411/trenches/2608-trenches-mummies-heart-disease

http://columbiasurgery.org/news/2016/02/18/heart-disease-was-common-ancient-egypt-too-0

And then there's differences in "sugars"

Feb 5, 2019, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: When we changed dietary guidelines from more fat less sugars ]

The worst "sugars" are found in breads, pasta, potatoes, corn, etc. Technically they're called "complex carbohydrates" and it's those that kill more than actual simple sugars. Bread is sugar. Corn is sugar. Potatoes (french fries especially) are sugars. Pasta is sugar. And by sugar, I mean when digested, they all turn to sugar. The key thing that makes a slice of bread worse than a handful of Skittles is when you eat that slice of bread, it elevates your blood sugar for HOURS, like 4-6 HOURS. That effectively increases your blood glucose baseline for the rest of the day. When you eat Skittles, candy, honey, or simple sugars, it spikes your blood sugar higher, but it's burned quickly as fuel and will come back down, like within an hour or two. BUT, when your glucose is elevated from complex carbs, ANY simple sugars spike ON TOP of that increased glucose level, so it goes higher, your body then pumps even more insulin to counteract it.

Cut out complex carbs and only eat simple sugars. You'll see a big difference. Complex carbohydrates are generally not found in nature, with the exception of potatoes and some starches. We are designed to get mainly simple sugars, and mainly from fruits. Bread is a human invention only a few thousand years old. Same for pasta, etc.

Heck, just take the corn and wheat subsidies, end them, and transfer them to fruits and vegetables. Obesity WILL decline. How do you think they fatten up livestock? They feed them grains. "Grain-fed" cattle have more fat in their meat, and hence taste better. Same principle applies for people.

Man can not create a food or meal worse than hamburgers and french fries to cause obesity. It's the perfect combination of high fat and high complex carbs. The hamburger is not as bad though as the french fries. If you have to keep eating one, eat the burger and toss the fries.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Amino acids are typically proteins

Feb 5, 2019, 10:37 PM

Thats what been found to fuel cancer growth.

Re: At what point in history did being poor

Feb 4, 2019, 4:19 PM

Eating healthy is more expensive.

Obeds put sugar in everything

Feb 4, 2019, 4:20 PM

EVERYTHING!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good sir,

Feb 4, 2019, 4:29 PM

Please refrain from the blatant stereotyping. Many thanks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this $h1t right here

Feb 4, 2019, 4:56 PM

not really funny. annoying really. the code word thing is annoying. this entire board is just annoying most days. sometimes offensive, but mostly annoying.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Hey girl, does this help? ............

Feb 4, 2019, 5:04 PM

Stereotypes here also though.

#TRFTW

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/All-of-them-dont-Hey-everyone-is-different-******-25022891#25022891

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

B I N G O

Feb 4, 2019, 5:40 PM [ in reply to ^^^this $h1t right here ]

I get really uncomfortable with that, but it started before I got here so I really don't understand it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but its ok for liberals to use

Feb 5, 2019, 1:28 PM [ in reply to ^^^this $h1t right here ]

so-called socio-economic status as a proxy for race, right?

at least thats what my Democrat friends here in Charlotte tell me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no idea what you are talking about

Feb 5, 2019, 5:15 PM

because I don't live in Charlotte anymore and am not your friend.

What I am saying is that it is a little odd to me that folks on this board use the 'cover' of a code word to make a joke, but not "really" make a joke about Black people on occasion annoys me. I find it odd that a bunch of White guys feel the need to have a code phrase just so they can tell stereotypical jokes about Black people.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

I know, being the bored racist I miss out on all...

Feb 4, 2019, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Good sir, ]

the low hanging fruit. Chit ain't right around here no more.

but that's not a denial. but who doesnt like

Feb 5, 2019, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Good sir, ]

lots of sugar in their spaghetti

When the FDA food pyramid got bought out by the same

Feb 4, 2019, 5:12 PM

folks who make fatty foods. That, and fatty, high corn fructose syrup infused foods are cheaper to make and sell due to government subsidies to farmers.

Basically, its the same reason we have ethanol laced gas when no one but the farmers really want it:

Lobbyists

https://www.healthyway.com/content/how-did-the-government-get-the-food-pyramid-so-terribly-wrong/

Sugar is the cheapest source of calories in America

Feb 5, 2019, 10:49 AM

For many reasons, including subsidies. And our food pyramid is just flat out wrong. Follow the nutritional guidelines and you WILL get fat. You're really better off eating a high fat, low carb diet. The Eskimos (non-PC term there) are a VERY good example. Traditionally (not anymore) they had the lowest rates of heart disease on Earth. They also consume a diet that's off the charts high in fat and eat basically ZERO carbs. They live off seals and fish, with very limited carbs in the summer from berries, etc.

Studies were done LONG ago on them and they were found to be nearly free of heart disease. Today those old studies have been debunked by the carb industry, but that's not from an error. It's from their diet changing.

As for the pyramid, you first off need to slash the caloric intake to 1,800 calories. Double the fat, halve the carbs. THEN you get healthy people. At 2,000 calories a day, you have to run 2 miles every day to maintain a healthy weight. Keep the carbs and fat level unchanged and people will be hungry, because hunger is a symptom of eating sugars. You get hungry faster.

Try this experiment....
I grocery shop a lot. Next time you're in the store, look in the buggies of fat people and skinny people. You will see the difference. Skinny people will have meats, veggies, and fruits and stuff from around the edge of the store. Fat people will have cereal, corn, bread, cookies, and high carb stuff from the aisles. And don't be shocked to see hard candy, or some type of candy with simple sugar in the buggies of skinny people. That's how they splurge. What you won't see are cookies, breads, potatoes, and complex carbs.

Didn;t you say you were like 6', 250#?***

Feb 5, 2019, 10:27 PM

gummint subsidies for corn, cheap food, middle aisles

Feb 4, 2019, 7:12 PM

low nutrient, high calorie diet of the poors

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 917
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic