Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Purple Paladins...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,932

The Purple Paladins...

Dec 4, 2018, 10:57 PM

of Furman sure are getting some love on espn2 right now,even heard Dan Scott call one of their big plays so far in the young season...Furman 9-0 and ranked 25th after a Win at Elon tonight...one of the ESPN Sports Center guys ask everybody where they thought Furman was located and proceeded to put them in Texas on the map that they had in studio but said No and move them to South Carolina saying Greenville...shame the the Tigers don't play them this season

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this point, I'm glad we don't play Furman this year.

Dec 4, 2018, 10:59 PM

They are playing better basketball than we are at the moment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: At this point, I'm glad we don't play Furman this year.

Dec 4, 2018, 11:08 PM

Kinda odd that they are not on the schedule every year being that they are so close to each other in proximity...recently it has been a gap every 2 or 3 years it seems when they play each other

Remember some great games with them in the 70's

Dec 4, 2018, 11:32 PM

Clyde Mayes, Moose Leonard, Bruce Grimm, Stitch Moore, Al Daniel. They beat NC and State on back to back nights in the old North/South double header in 79 or 80.

Good to see Furman hoops getting some love and playing well

Re: Remember some great games with them in the 70's

Dec 5, 2018, 6:11 AM

You bring back some great memories for me!! Went to several of those North/South doubleheaders and got to see Furman win several. Bruce Grimmm was my favorite player. Can still remember how happy I was win FU beat the chickens in the NCAA tournament in 1974!! Grimm, Mayes, Leonard, etc. were fun to watch.

Dec 5, 2018, 7:29 AM

Yes, the purple people have played some good basketball at times. During the 63-64 season a game that comes to mind was the 2/13/64 70-55 win over #4 Davidson at the old Memorial Auditorium in Greenville. I got to see two great players that night, Selvy of Furman and Hetzel of Davidson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 1:01 PM

Purple, I attended that fantastic Furman/Davidson game in 1964 too. Frank Selvey of Furman, Will Hetzel of Davidson and Lefty Dresel of Davidson. The old arena was rocking that night....

As a kid growing up in Greenville went to many

Dec 5, 2018, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Remember some great games with them in the 70's ]

Furman games. My dad was good friends with Joe William's. Used to imitate Grimm's funky shot as a kid

Re: The Purple Paladins...

Dec 5, 2018, 7:11 AM

Glad they don't play them.

Re: The Purple Paladins...

Dec 5, 2018, 7:28 AM

Glad to see Furman athletics getting some positive press. I don't know that their attendance will ever rival their days in "The Big Brown Box" but locals may start making the 5-10 mile trek to campus for their games now.

There are also still people out there who think Clemson is in Tennessee, or Florida, or Texas. (You know, one of those orange states...) Of course lately we have made ourselves quite at home when we have played in the state of Florida!

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,932
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic