Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The only substitution pattern I have an issue with is at RB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,747

The only substitution pattern I have an issue with is at RB

Oct 10, 2017, 8:58 AM

No it not about Etienne getting more touches either. Our substitution pattern for RBs is the starter gets the first 2 series and then each guy gets pretty much a series of his own unless they put the ball on the ground or get tired. I don't understand why they aren't rotated in more based on the situation. Each guy has his strengths, but we don't seem to be capitalizing as much on the strength of each guy. Feaster's clearly the best all around back we have (hence he's the starter). However, Fuller, Choice, and Etienne are all good at different things.

It could be 3rd & 1, it's clear we're going to run the ball, but Travis stays in the game for that down because it's his series even though we know Choice and Fuller are better short yardage backs. At the same time when Fuller and Choice have their series, we could have a downs when we're in need of an explosive play, yet they stay in there even though Travis would be more ideal in that situation.

I know Elliot is busy calling the plays so he can't be the guy to handle that during the game, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to have the GA in charge of shuffling the guys in and out to adjust the substitution patterns to be more base on the situation. It seems like a small issue now, but it could make a difference when we get in Championship/Playoff season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My guess is later in the season, we will exclusively play

Oct 10, 2017, 9:05 AM

Feaster and Etienne.

We are probably playing Fuller and Choice a little more now in games that we are in total control of so that Feaster and Etienne will be fresh down the stretch.

I think coaches are playing this season like a 15 game marathon.

Exactly.

Oct 10, 2017, 10:49 AM

Swinney sees the season as a marathon not a sprint. That's one of the reasons why Oklahoma and Ohio State were blown out in the postseason by us. While they were busy racking up points against weak competition and becoming favorites to beat us Swinney was developing his talent and depth. Not only were Swinney&Co looking to have depth to win at that time he was also looking to future seasons. That's why we have sustained a high level of success longer than any other program at this time with Bama being the only exception.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At the moment I like the way it is.

Oct 10, 2017, 9:47 AM

Feaster, Fuller and Choice are very familiar with their roles when it comes to running and blocking for the QB. ETN is still learning as far as I’m concerned. He looks really good at the end of the games when the defenses are tired. I like ETN at the end of games.

Choice is getting the trust back in his knee. Feaster needs to find another gear imo. He still needs to work on his blocking. Fuller is the one I’m disappointed about the most. Unless he is being held back by coaches, he was awesome against OSU last year. I’m waiting on him to break out on one of these games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only substitution pattern I have an issue with is at RB

Oct 10, 2017, 9:50 AM

If we used certain RBs in certain situations we would be wayy too predictable.

Oct 10, 2017, 9:54 AM

True, so far what we have been doing has worked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 10:01 AM

I have had the same thoughts especially in goal line situations, but I think this is also a reflection of our tempo on offense. We try not to substitute because that gives the defense a chance to sub. By keeping a back in the game we can wear them down for the 4th quarter. Now I do think a rotation of Feast and ETN with Fuller and Choice getting goal line opportunities is the best, but I don't think we will see the subs in the open field.

null

Oct 10, 2017, 10:11 AM

Our up-tempo offense was my first thought as well. It's also tough for the rb to get in a rhythm when they're constantly subbing in and out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i also thought etn played that short ydg as a test

Oct 10, 2017, 10:16 AM

just to see how easily we'd make it if we wanted to do hurry up offense later on

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,747
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic