Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Quoting a Competitor Site
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Quoting a Competitor Site

Jan 25, 2018, 11:58 AM

To post your thread here is simply wrong and unfair. Is it an audition? I don't get it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Assuming you're mentioning my post, I donate to

Jan 25, 2018, 12:14 PM

TigerNet, not TI, not TCI, not 247, so I feel I can quote any of those sites if I want to.

We also have posters mentioning 247's Crystal Ball predictions a good bit as it's another source of information to bring to the group on TigerNet.

I'd also like to ask what is "wrong and unfair" about it, as well as what kind of "audition" I would be participating in?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Assuming you're mentioning my post, I donate to

Jan 25, 2018, 12:27 PM

The pay sites don't want non-paying folks distributing their content (see attached disclaimer)

I subscribe to Tnet and TI, but I usually keep each entity separate

HTH

Jan 25, 2018, 12:34 PM

I would certainly agree with you, however, I did not copy or paste and my quotations were from a message board thread rather than an article.

I understand keeping each entity separate as they technically own the articles they produce, however, I would assume you do take information you obtain on one or the other (especially message boards) and use it in discussions on the other site and vice versa.

For the record

Jan 25, 2018, 12:41 PM

I was just pointing out why sharing information from site to site might be frowned upon by some. I'm not saying what you posted was out of bounds. I don't even know what was said

OP made it sound like the "quoted" material was copy/pasted

And yes, that is a safe assumption ;)

Calling a site's message board conversations "information"?

Jan 25, 2018, 2:20 PM

That would be an absurd definition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2018, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Assuming you're mentioning my post, I donate to ]

Summarizing something you read into your own words is not a violation of copyright law.

Jan 25, 2018, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Assuming you're mentioning my post, I donate to ]

If I read a newspaper article in the morning can I tell people at work what I read?

Uh oh. I was going to post some stuff I saw on webmd

Jan 25, 2018, 12:26 PM

To prevent cancer....But I guess that would be wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

If it was subscription content it would be wrong

Jan 25, 2018, 12:29 PM

Does WebMD have a subscription model now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not sure if Im allowed to tell you or not.***

Jan 25, 2018, 1:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: If it was subscription content it would be wrong

Jan 25, 2018, 1:47 PM [ in reply to If it was subscription content it would be wrong ]

Having a subscription model really isn't the deciding factor. If you copy paste from one site to another it breaks copyright. To paste to the internet = publishing.
(I'm not an attorney and this should not be considered legal advice.)

Jan 25, 2018, 1:59 PM

That would be true for articles, however, message boards would be fair game as it would not be a published article.

Jan 25, 2018, 2:35 PM

You are probably correct but putting anything on the internet is considered publishing. Of course not much original content on message boards, just all of us rehashing each others comments lol.

Doesn't Tigernet just copy most of their content from

Jan 25, 2018, 1:31 PM

other sites (or Tigernet posters) anyway? Just speeding up the process a bit. ;)

Re: Doesn't Tigernet just copy most of their content from

Jan 25, 2018, 9:00 PM

I’m pretty sure DHood just copies everything Nikki writes down and runs over here and reports it as if he himself acquired the information. Shame on him.

ehhhh

Jan 25, 2018, 1:45 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it....when news breaks it usually floods to other networks soon thereafter.

most the time people quote the place that broke it.

even on here most people say i'm hearing from " " that this happened.

We are in an age of technology and things spread really fast. If you don't like it then you aren't progressive enough.

protecting journalism means I'm not progressive enough?***

Jan 25, 2018, 2:17 PM

Nothing wrong with quoting another site.

Jan 25, 2018, 2:43 PM

You should at least provide a link to it. Though some site's links here will get deleted. Still, it's only proper if you quote another article/message board,provide the link. People can either click the link or not. In this modern tech era, it's sort of stealing if you don't provide the source.

It's always been "stealing" when it's not your work...

Jan 25, 2018, 3:06 PM

you don't give proper credit and/or try to pass it off as your own. Some of those folks roll around here.

The other issue is pay-to-play information brought here, contrary to the agreement. That goes on as well and people openly ask for it after a visit to one of the sites.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's always been "stealing" when it's not your work...

Jan 25, 2018, 4:09 PM

Nothing like stirring a hornet's nest! ;)

My sole point is...let T-Net post the headlines here...then comment. It's like a race for some to post an 'Extra! Extra' before the very site you're here to learn 'all things Clemson' gets to even do their job. Happens all the time...by mere minutes often.

Yes...auditioning as a reporter? I was being sarcastic. It's my DNA...and as I look around here...I'm clearly not alone.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's always been "stealing" when it's not your work...

Jan 25, 2018, 5:55 PM

The only issue with your post is I wasn't "reporting" regarding a headline or "breaking story" but something I noticed on another site, so there would not have been a post made because there would have been no headline.

If you want people to only comment about headlines posted via the writers of any website, well then this place would be a ghost town. Luckily for us, that is not how a message board is structured.

Lastly, I'm not sure that's a good use of sarcasm. As a fluent speaker of that language I think you should work on it a bit more. It might be in your DNA, but from a long lost ancestor. :)

the recruiting sites hurt recruiting

Jan 25, 2018, 7:13 PM

I understand the demand for info, but they are pushing recruits away. I wish the NCAA would step in on these scouts and put rules in place to limit their contact with these kids.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic